Jean Claude Van Damme

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Nykout, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Hello
    First of all, I am new to the MAP and this is my first post, so if I screwed something up please let me know. Anyway, to the question:

What makes (or made, since he is quite out of form now), Jean Claude Van Damme so good? Just checked his professional kickboxing record of 18 W to 1 L, and that one loss was a disqualification, while all the 18 wins were by knockout. It is obvious that he is no ordinary fighter. Thanks for answers.

2. Antonius

Antonius Valued Member

Before he did kickboxing he did semi-contact karate and was a bodybuilder. He already had a lot of experience in karate and was in great shape. And according to himself his background in ballet helped too.

JVC deserves a lot more respect than he gets. Certainly more than Seagal.

3. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Do you think that (theoretically speaking) he could stand a chance with Mas Oyama if both were in their greatest?

4. Antonius

Antonius Valued Member

My knowledge on Mas Oyama is too limited for me to answer that. JCVD is taller and I suppose heavier. So there's a weightclass difference in his advantage, probably.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't want to bash van Damme and was a big fan as a kid.

Plus, what I say now is something I repeat from one of my teachers - I myself wasn't there.

But apparently van Damme wasn't great a fighter; especially not after he started making movies.

One of my teachers met him once during a seminar and another one saw him "fighting" (to be honest: I'm not entirely sure, if that was during that seminar, or if it were two occasions) - problem was, he was so much into doing some of his "stunts" that he got beaten around by his opponent.

I'm not saying that he was or is a bad martial artist!
    Both teacher said right away, that his movement and everything was great, no one doubts on his flexibility or anything.

But at least once he got into movies, his fighting skills seem to have lessen.

But again: I'd like to point out, that I wasn't there and only heard a little part of the conversation of some of my teachers.
    I was too blown by: "... when I met him..." to pay full attention all the time :eek: :D

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If its not full contact it's not kickboxing. Hate that glorofied rubbish flap your leg crap that would get you knocked out in seconds on the street.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Kickboxing is a sport. Carryover to the street is questionable at best.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Carry over for some is better than others, Michael page for example, his dad and a few others from the Lau gar leg flappy brigade also cleaned house in full contact and on the streets when they had to, Steve babbs springs to mind, alfie Lewis as well

10. Antonius

Antonius Valued Member

Karate: From 1976-1980, Van Damme compiled a record of 44 victories and 4 defeats in tournament and non-tournament semi-contact matches.

Kickboxing: From 1977 to 1982, Van Damme compiled a record of 18 victories (18 knockouts) and 1 defeat.

He's legit.

And yes I agree pointsparring will get you killed in the street. Kickboxing is more practical but it has its faults too.

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

The issue is there is no one who can substantiate that record. There is some video footage of him online doing point sparring from late 70's/ early 80's though. Guys like Gary Daniels, who are from a very similar mould, claim almost identical records (knocked out everyone, only losses were disqualifications etc...)

There was a documentary series JCVD made in the UK about his life. When he is not filming, he almost always wore glasses (he did this as a child too). He accidentally hit a stunt man while not wearing his glasses. Back in the day he maimed another stuntman in Cyborg (I think with a knife). It's almost certain that JCVD suffers from longsightedness, and seems to have trouble seeing objects that are close to him without his glasses. I'm not saying this is a major handicap, but it might inhibit his ability to fight.

As to why he is so good as a performer, there is one answer: Ballet. Seriously. He took Ballet for 5 years and it helped developed that legendary flexibility and dynamic movement. JCVD said himself Ballet was the toughest physical thing he had ever done (tougher than bodybuilding or martial arts).

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Apparently he did KO Sherman Bergman at 152lbs. This was in 1979 before anyone even knew Van Varenberg, so clearly he has SOME credentials

Nosher Powell spoke relatively highly of him too for what that's worth

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Did he really say "he's giving me so much powder to go into that fight..."?!?

Or is that my JCVD confirmation bias? :)

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Only Brits will probably find his name funny.