Jean Claud Van Damme going to K1

Discussion in 'MMA' started by CobraMaximus, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Good point. What's the MAX weight limit? Maybe he could drop a few pounds and get beaten by someone from the MAX division

2. laruz114

laruz114 New Member

Max goes up to 70 kilos (155lbs). Oh wow, I'd laugh so hard if he had to fight Buakaw or Masato or something.

3. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Oh ... sorry mate..

4. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

Just to confirm, does anyone know lee priest? He is 5'5 and weighs 301 pounds in solid muscle, 260 after cutting i think. Height does not limit weight

5. alex_000

Yes but if Lee priest tried to fight with a 6'2 - 6'5 K1 figher he would find himself in a really uncomfortable cituation because of his short reach.

6. sn0w8lade

sn0w8lade My knee gone POP!!!!!

Yeah I'dluv to see van Damme trading roundhouses to the midsection with Buakaw kickboxer style lol

:D

7. CobraMaximus

Maybe uncomfortable but not impossible. Remember Bruce Lee was only about 5'6/5'7 and we was fighting 7'1 people. It was maybe difficult but he could still fight

8. alex_000

Sorry mate. It's the K1, he would get owned. Bruce lee fought people in movies thats a bit different.

9. CobraMaximus

He trained a 7 foot basketball player to fight heh :D
    Anyway...back to Claud...

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'd have to go with you on that one Alex :) Van Damme would get taken to peices if he were to fight a capable fighter. These guys fight for a living... it's their job.

11. CobraMaximus

I doubt Van Damme actually has the fight experience required for K1, all very well him knowing his stuff but if he cant react off instinct he will get mauled

12. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I presume you mean 'stuff' to be moves? If so, then it's the application of his 'stuff' which is what really counts.

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I have my doubts that he actually has a clue what he would be getting into should he enter K-1, which is a whole different set of doubts in itself. Basically, I don't think he's got the moves or anything like the power required to do this. I remember an absolutely wretched show on Sky One a couple of years back in which Richard Blackwood (awful UK TV presenter) would go and interview famous people while they did what they did. He interviewed Sarah Michelle Gellar on the Buffy set, for example. So he interviews Jean Claude Van Damme. What does Van Damme do? He turns up in a very odd mood, quite possibly after having a bit of the Columbian sugar, takes Blackwood to a local jeans factory where they talk to the guys that work there, basically saying that he comes around here to keep himself "real." All well and good, a lot of guys do this - Jerome Le Banner, for example, goes and works out at docks for the same reason. Then in a demonstration of his amazing martial arts skills, he roundhouses a box of jeans connecting with his instep and barely breaks the cardboard, before hopping off and going "Wow, look at the impact" :rolleyes: Towards the end, he gives Blackwood a hug saying he loves him and that Blackwood's "just as real as me!" Blackwood's face was priceless, I wish I'd kept the tape :D
    My point is that Van Damme's just not up to this, and he must know it like we do. I just hope K-1 aren't seriously entertaining the idea of signing him; their credibility's in the toilet right now and this won't help

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  14. alex_000

LOL@Sever

Cheers@Yuki :)

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well who would he fight? really they cant have him against some can, it has to be a name. you cant have a big "ACTION STAR TAKES ON K-1" and have some japanese can. not only that, how many people in k-1 could he really beat? unless k-1 does something like they did with the kyokushin vs k-1 (i.e. get a bunch of "kickboxers" who have never even had a pro fight) he would get mauled. not only that he is the worst possible weight, afaik he is well above the max weight limit, and well below most heavyweights (both height and weight). you look at the other guys about his height in k-1, and the reason they can hang with the bigger guys is because they have an exceptional level of skill, which van damme most certainly doesn't. he might be good, but there is no way he is on par with Mike McDonald. and in k-1 max he would be butchered, those guys have been training in clinching techniques, knees etc their whole lives, a lot of them come from a muay thai background... he wouldnt stand a chance.

I'd like to see it but it seems like the whole Tyson deal to me, just some hype for a fight that is never going to happen.

16. alex_000

Sad but true ikken.

I can't imagine who would he fight that won't put his life in danger. You can't have a 45 year old actor who was full of coke half his life fight 23-35 year old guys who fight for living , no refrasing .. not only they fight , but they are of the best on the world in what they do.

It's like having Cuba Gooding Jr. playing in pro football at his 45. (he played a ft player in Jery Maguire)

or having Shaquile Oneal act. You saw the horror. If Van Dam fights like Saq acts we will witness the first death in K1.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol :D Very good examples there Alex :D

18. getgoin

getgoin Idiot Savant

The quality of the fighters in K-1 are great. He would get whipped like a red headed stepchild for sure. But I don't think it would be because of his size. It would be because he can't fight.

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Very true. There's a great difference between great flexibility and the ability to fight.

20. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

1 sure fact is that if Jean Claude ever did compete we'd all wanna see it, and so would most people for that matter.

It would really get the name "K1" out to the public, especially to all the Van Damme movie fans that are going to realize that there are a lot of people out there that can kick the <removed> out of their favorite movie stars :D

I think it would be great if he really did compete

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004