JCVD Is stepping in the ring.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Griffin, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Looks like it'll take place late in 2010, maybe october in Las Vegas.

Its against a Thai champ with over 300 fights and even a 1996 gold medal for boxing.

it will be the final of a reality series he is doing at the time. The fight is going to be real, under modified Thai rules, so no elbows i imagine for a start.
    The Thai fighters name is Somluck Kamsing.

I predict it'll start slow, with the Thai fighter letting Van Damme get some techs off for maybe two rounds then he'll (Kamsing) open up and hurt him in the third. If its five rounds then Kamsung will again slow down in the fourth then prob go for KO in fifth.
    If at any time jcvd catches Kamsung of gaurd the Thai will go for broke for the KO.

I dont believe it'll be a fixed fight. The only gaurantee is that the Thai will start slow for two rounds thats it i reckon, if jcvd cant take advantage of that he's gonna be KO'd late in the fight, or maybe his corner will be quick with the towel if he's getting beaten in a corner.
    At any rate, i think the thai will give him 2-3 rounds then go for the kill. And yes i do think jcvd has a chance he certainly knows how to fight we'll see if he can apply it.

Like jcvd or not, this is going to be entertaining man.
    Even if they are gonna have to wear Am boxing helmets this will be one hell of a show is what i think.
    (did a search couldnt find if this had been discussed yet or not)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Qt8qi4jRI"]YouTube[/ame]

Predictions for the fight?, maybe 5 rounds probably, dont know anything more yet.
    Im going for Van Damme.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. Last Empire

Last Empire Valued Member

I dont know ne? I think maybe he wont be so bad. I think he would have enough money maybe to at least get back into some good training and ive seen people who i think would probably be worse then him be somewhat successful in mt comps

3. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

would love to know what kind of training JCVD is putting into this, hes old, he hasnt fought professionally in two decades. Sure hes still (visibly) strong, but the Thai bloke is a seasoned champ in MT and a gold medalist boxer. Unless JCVD can pull of something epic, all he has is a punchers chance. Out of interest, anyone know what weight class this would be in? i would definatley watch, and career wise, probably a good move provided if he does loose, he looses with some face.

I mean his whole angle in JCVD was self depreciation and humilty, so if the series shows him training very hard and it shows in the ring, even if he looses hell still get 100x more respect because hes just be in the ring with a man who is quite clearly a monster of a fighter.

Wish there were better websitesd about this!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This Van is fully supporting the other Van for this bout. At fifty years old, JCVD can still kick like a mule. He's always been in fantastic shape and has the strength advantage over his opponent in this bout.

Just hope he's training with the likes of Baukaw Por Pramuk to get him ready!

5. Tommy-2guns...

Think he'll approach it with a thai style or stick to his more generic kickboxing base?

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Acouple of youtube bouts:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WONhQklOpM4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WONhQklOpM4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrzlOwXBt8w&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrzlOwXBt8w&feature=related[/ame]

Mitch

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yeah i think Kamsing is lighter in weight, so jcvd will be dropping off the heavy weights and doing much more cardio i imagine.

They are going to do some type of reality show during the lead up where they both show their training for maybe 3 months leading up to the fight.

Im pretty sure they will both open up slowly for 1-2 rounds to ensure a good show then 3rd onwards lookout :) .

I guess it'll be 5 rounds. Cant wait to hear more about the reality show/lead up to fight.

If i was jcvd i would be training full contact right now, which ofcourse i bet he is..
    The thing is, the other guy has switches inbuilt from so many full-contact fights, and good hands.. Jeez, talk about jumping in the deepend lol.

cheers

8. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Yeah i think the clinch will be what makes or breaks jcvd, and there will definately be no elbows.
    Again, what the Thai is very well used to though..

Sticking to kickboxing - no way, but again, how can he rely on taking the legs out of a seasoned thai fighter!!

If Van Damme is going to win this, i think it will be with a lightning high kick or hands - but yet again, this is the Thai's specialty so... maybe he'll target the legs...
    I know one thing for sure, this will be a sellout massive crowd.

9. Tommy-2guns...

i think JCVD's only way of winning is to use his weight advantage and throw heavy hands, but to do that he has two nigh on impossible tasks against this guy 1) cutting off the ring and getting him in the corner 2) being able to land those heavy punches on a gold medalist boxer in top shape.

I imagine JCVD will fight from Kickboxing style, itd be redundant for him to start fighting Thai now as he'd have no experience bar his preperation, at least he has competed in Kickboxing based tournaments.

10. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Van Damme is first going to destroy his opponent's spirit by displaying his bare butt and then KOing him with a jumping split kick.

11. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You think JCVD will be fast enough to catch him?

Mitch

13. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Instant response - no, but, within a flurry and the Thai playing like that, there is a possibility.

jcvd also has good horizontal power with his round/hook kicks, like i mean he doesnt bring them up 45 degree angle, he can execute good power horizontaly, maybe defeat the gaurd like that.

14. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Somrak has fought the best and is one of the best(the champions didnt like fighting him).

Who has JCVD fought?.:)

15. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

I looked around a bit and but distracted after seeing this
    [​IMG]'

Edit:
    Seriously though, i love cracking jokes about this but the man does have some serious testicular fortitude for stepping into the ring again.
    I can respect that.

16. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I doubt there's much chance of Van Damme winning. But then, I'm not convinced that he needs to. As a movie star and celebrity, he's going to get a lot of credit from some quarters for simply getting in the ring to begin with. It's not like he's at the height of his career and is risking his aura of invulnerability. He's also done a remarkably frank movie about himself in JCVD (which is oddly brilliant by the way). I think that even losing is going to do him good, both personally and in the eyes of the martial arts community. Provided it's not an opponent he outweighs by 2 to 1, I think this is a courageous move.

Not going to catch Seagal doing anything like this, I know.

Stuart

18. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

i read this also, im still abit of a van damme fan as a kid so will be interesting hopefully its not fixed like that osbourne kid one im sure he ended up winning.

19. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

he's gonna have to cut a lot of weight to be fighting that guy, surely he'll be used to fight at a heavier weight and not someone as fast as Somluck Kamsing.

Will be interesting to see what happens, and I have respect for anyone who puts themselves in the ring against such an experienced opponent.

20. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Let's be honest we all know what's going to happen:

JCVD will get in a few good shots, but then he'll get dominated. Until the last 10 seconds of the final round, when it'll go in to slow mo and Van Damme will knock out his opponent with a spinning jumping back kick, whilst making a funny face and noise.

But in all seriousness, go JC!