Japanese Counter System?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by FightingMonk2k3, Mar 18, 2006.

1. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

has anyone heard of some sort of Japanese style called: "Shenanume" or something along those lines?

a friend of mine claims he's a master in it. i guess the principle behind it is to evade the opponent and counter attack the opponent's strikes. the guy i know of, is in his mid 20s and claims he's a world holder at tournaments for sparring.

the thing that confuses me the most, is that, he has Tai Chi at his supposid school in the Bay Area, and some Aikido. Plus, apparently, he has Tai Chi based uniforms for students.

if anyone has heard anything about this style, please message me. i'd like to know if this friend of mine is pulling my leg or what not.

2. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

I couldnt find anything on Shenanume.... :confused:
    Whats the name of the school... maybe if they have a website i can look it up

3. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Dunno, but that word you gave us is nothing Japanese. There isn't a 'she' sound in Japanese. There's a 'shi' but no 'she'. I've tried mispronouncing all of it in all the standard ways Westerners do, but it still doesn't come anywhere near anything Japanese!

Are you spelling the 'i' sound as 'e'? Is it shinanumi (still has no meaning and doesn't sound like any Japanese I know but it is more possible...!).

Get him to spell the name and I'll tell you!

4. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Anyone that claims to be a master of anything should have their credentials looked at closely with a scrutinizing eye, and their words taken with a grain of salt. Sounds like a purely defense art... We have concepts like that in Mantis, except we drive directly into the opponent after that and go for the takedown.

5. FightingMonk2k3

i am not sure of the spelling. i'll ask him next time i see him. he claims his school is in the San Fransisco Bay area. i'll talk to him a bit about where it is.

honestly, i think he's making a lot of it up because he keeps telling me that he's this great martial artist and this great master in this system he claims that is the "best martial art out there" and it "can't be beat" when he hasnt shown proof of it. i'll see if he can bring in proof of pictures and such. he was really getting on my nerves the other day because i asked him what his students wore in classes. and he told me they had grey tops and black pants. and for the ranks, they had military-like arm things on their left arm for just the students. and the instructors have to wear all black. he did say that the tops were like the Tai Chi tops or something that was Chinese based.

my Da Shifu even said that his credentials should be questioned too and that i should watch out for guys like that. i've been trying to get my friend to show up to my karate location to have my instructors talk to him a bit about what he claims he knows compared to what i'm learning.

i have heard from a friend that this same so called master, knows about mantis a little. i don't know how much of this is true either. i doubt that he knows it because he's been talkin a bit too much about his karate system and how "great" it is.

6. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Sinanju, he studies sinanju. Is his name Remo? :D

Look I found a picture of his teacher ;)

Attached Files:

7. wanderingdaoist

wanderingdaoist New Member

Sinjanju ... god, that's a name i haven't heard of in awhile.

Good call on the shi/she thing. but keep in mind, Japanese can use Katakana to make the She sound (shi with a little ye next to it.) So maybe the style is transliterated from another language... Not likely.

But the description of the style you gave sounds pretty much like umm... any high-level martial art, as even good ol' shotokan advocates avoidance of force and immediate counter-attack at the higher levels. You could always call his bluff. If he's not bluffing, he'll do the 5-point-exploding palm on you.

Aside from his egotism, does he seem competant? Have you met any of his students? How do they regard the style and him?

Lastly - I've noticed the Chinese garb has become more common in schools in the west. I think it's kind of cool personally, I like Taiji/gongfu uniforms. When I start teaching (if that ever happens as I'm disenchanted with the idea right now) I'd probably have something similar. Or Adida's track suits for everyone, since I can buy them for 10$ here in China.

If anyone wants one, lemme know :)

8. Mr Punch

LOL. fraid I gotta call shenanigans on that one...! There's no 'ye' in Japanese either! :D

They could use shi+little e, but anyway if it's a Chinese art they'd just use the onyomi and if it's Korean they often use a kind of onyomi too.

9. wanderingdaoist

D'oh - you're right (haven't written in a long time) the 'e' sound, not 'ye' sound...

ore no senkou wa nihongo da, ainiku saikin totemo wasureta...

By product of living in China, my memory has gone to pot, thanks for the correction.

10. SimonM

SimonM New Member

I've found that when I want to speak french I often end up speaking Putonghua instead.

11. Mr Punch

残念だよ。。。俺も仏語を喋りたかったら日本語になっちゃう。ぺらぺらだったのに。 :cry:

中国語で頑張れ!

12. Mr Punch

Missed this before. Irony overload! BOOM!

WTF is a Da Shifu?! :Alien:

13. FightingMonk2k3

Da Shifu is the mandarin word for teacher's teacher.

no, this friend's name isnt remo. his name is Javar. he's a big black guy.

does that 5-palm-exploding heart technique truely exist? i mean, i've heard of it prior to Kill Bill. but i'm not to familiar with it.

i have not met any of his students before. he sounds like he is competent, but i can't be too sure.

14. wanderingdaoist

Well, I learned about six months after mastering my hadouken and yoga-fire techniques.

Mr. Punch - Yeah, my japanese is teh suck now, I can only read the hiragana on that...

Wish the mainland still used traditional characters, might not feel so retarded right now >.<

15. succubus

succubus so hot right now

yeeeaaah... i once had a guy tell me he had a black belt. when i asked which martial art he did, he said "all of them".

i'd take this with about as much salt as i took that.

16. wanderingdaoist

yeah, you might just want to observe one of his classes to see... I'm curious about it actually. He might be a good fighter/martial artist even though he apparently doesn't know wtf he's talking about in regards to the style.

17. Mr Punch

It wasn't important. Just moaning about the state of my French.

I find modified Chinese really hard... can't get where the strokes are and lose all the radicals' meanings.

I thought 'Da Shifu' was made up?! Like he's one of you know, da boyz. Our sifu's sifu is a sigung.

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Did you learn that term in sou shou 2k3?

19. SimonM

SimonM New Member

A really big guy who is a Shifu?

Like mabey his teacher is Lu Da (Sagacious Lu)... :p

20. FightingMonk2k3

okay, i asked my friend this past week to bring in to school some pictures of his karate place that he has supposidly in Berkeley, CA.

hopefully these will be legidiment pictures. he claims he cant have them in until he goes and visits the school.

so it may be a few days to a few weeks before i get back to him. i tried lookin his karate place up on the internet for his karate school in the Berkeley area. and i found nothing. he told me the name of the place, but i've forgotten the name.