It's On

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well I'm one of those people who though the fight was boring as crap, and I reckon I've got a decent understanding of boxing.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i feel like we've been spoiled by mma chadderz. i kept waiting for a kick or a takedown, lol.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Definitely a few guillotines.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

They should really consider opening up elbows. Keep everything else the same. That might liven things up some without changing the fundamental nature of boxing.

Some of that, at least, could be attributed to expectation. I warn't all that enthused seeing that particular bout the first time. It was mainly due to my thinking that Canelo would be more competitive than he was. It wasn't till later on that I became more aware - then more appreciative of the fight - and Floyd's skill.

But to each...as they say. :)

5. puma

puma Valued Member

They got that from Maidana! Plus a few other things that would even be banned in the cage!

You know who is boring? Messi. He scored 2 goals again last night. All he does is run around everyone and score. Breaking record after goal-scoring record. Sends me to sleep. And Usain Bolt. Don't get me started on him! He wins all the time, and every single time he runs under 10 seconds! BBBBBooooriiinnnggggggg!

Doesn't work in other sports does it? I do say though, give me a Floyd fight over any MMA fight any day. And going by the PPV figures, I'm not the only one. Bet there were millions of kids all over the world practicing shoulder rolls and stuff on Sunday and Monday.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Well it is a bit of a none comparison with other sports - Arsenal were always being criticised for being dull though if you wish to use that analogy. As for PPV...well to paraphrase Ali "everyone wants to watch me...but half of them want to watch me lose"

I find Floyd masterful to watch, but that is as much from the persepctive of "how can i steal that?" as anything else

Popularity is never a great measure of quality - Spice Girls are a testament to that

7. belltoller

Not just kids. I've been practising a one-armed version of it, myself. Nailed it quite nicely, I think.

'course, its easy to be fly when your opponent is a stationary 150lb banana bag.

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I think the biggest difference between Mayweather compared to Messi and Bolt is that his success comes as a contradiction to most "fans" of the sport, racing is about being the fastest, and Bolt is the fastest, football is about scoring the most goals, and Messi scores the most goals, where as boxing is about beating people up, and Floyd has reduced it to a highly controlled game of tag.

As for the PPV, lets be honest, the main reason so many people tuned in was because it was supposed to be a culturally significant event, as Pacquiao was being sold as the most likely guy to topple the perfect record of Mayweather, people were there to see the biggest test of his career, not a defensive masterclass, which, while i can appreciate it from both a physical and technical level, does sort of go against the point of prizefighting before an audience.

9. Bluesoup

Bluesoup Valued Member

Apparently Pacquiao is getting sued now for hiding his injury going into the fight.

He's being sued by the gamblers or w/e they call themselves.

Is this a ploy to make us believe Pacman was actually injured or could it be real?

10. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I think Pacman was just surprised by how good Mayweather was - and he is simply amazing.

Pacman was a one trick pony who didn't have the power to worry a bigger and more skilled man.

11. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, I agree.

I've watched the fight again, and it is actually a lot better than it's been given credit for. I always find something different the second time I watch a Mayweather fight. And credit to Pacquiao, he did try his best. He was simply up against a genius.

Hey Hannibal, what's wrong with the Spice Girls?

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Aside from an overwhelming lack of talent and the fact they could teach tropical skin diseases a few things about being irritating, nothing

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

14. belltoller

Worrying bigger opponents with his dazzling hand-speed, multiple-odd angle attacks and unexpected power (relative to his size) has been Pacquiao's speciality till late since his rise from feather weight.

Didn't see the Algieri fight but I couldna help but notice in the second fight with Tim (Bradley) that much of his ability to deliver at odd angles wasn't there although he still had the ability to come in, inflict damage, and leap back out of the way before the counters found their mark - for the most part.

Even with the effectively reduced toolset, it'd be erroneous to label Pacquiao as a one-trick pony.

Too bad the torn rotator-cuff but I'm quite certain the outcome would've been the same had he not been hampered by the injury.

Mayweather reduces everyone to a slow, plodding, arms-a-flailing amateur status.

Lonely at the top.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies.

16. belltoller

Agree...it oftentimes takes several sittings to digest a Mayweather fight - always some nuance that one didn't catch earlier. No better example than the Maidana (I) fight.

What I find amusing is the number ( even so called 'hard-core' boxing fans) who don't realise that Floyd is not getting tagged in the majority of those violent, against-the-ropes flurries.

Most are parried, where he is getting hit, the blows are reduced to glancing, inconsequential strikes; yet to the audience it looks from a distance that Mayweather could be in trouble and - alas the mass disappointment. :banana:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. puma

puma Valued Member

Again, brilliant clips. Cheers!

I'm glad you picked 2 with De La Hoya actually, because I was going to comment on this fight as to one of the reasons I always watch Floyds fights twice, and those two bits you put up sum up what I'm going to say perfectly. At 1st, I scored the fight 6-5 in rds to Mayweather, one draw. I thought De La Hoya was winning until he got hit with that right in rd 5. Then, I saw the fight again from the HBO I think it was cameras in stead of Sky, so a different angle. I thought, "What the hell was I thinking scoring it 6-5? This was one-sided!" I saw a completely different fight. I realised what a clever fight Mayweather fought, and understood that he was making De La Hoya miss - a lot!

18. puma

puma Valued Member

Thing with the shoulder injury is, he said he felt it in rd 3, but had his best rd in rd 4 immediately after he said he hurt it!

19. belltoller

Ja, I war a bit impatient trying to find the Maidana material that I wanted so it was to the De La Hoya chestnuts I went, lol.

Additionally, there was a great one from the Cotto fight, glancing blows rolling off the philly shell while Floyd is against the ropes but had trouble with the link. {sigh} Still doesn't seem to be working...

It is eye-opening to see the same event from different angles. Makes one wonder especially given our society's fondness for condemnation based on "eyewitness" accounts.

Something that was eye-opening for me was watching the Ali/Liston fight (1965) where CC was defending his belt against Sonny Liston, whom he had taken it from earlier, - in its entirety - the amount of boos that went out from the audience when Ali was introduced! Far more audible than those for Mayweather.

People forget Ali's style was not appreciated for what it was back in the day - but that's sort of brushed aside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. puma

puma Valued Member

Again, great clips. The one against Marquez is an absolute classic. The one on the left against Maidana is clever. He drops his head, making Maidana punch down, setting the trap to spring back up away from the punch and counter with the uppercut. That's old school, giving the target then taking it away. Things like that seem to be disappearing a bit. Because he is training all the time this stuff becomes natural to him, while some boxers just do a 10 week or so training camp, then not train until the next one. So then a lot of time is spent on fitness and weight making, rather than the actual craft of boxing. I think it's fair to say he really has mastered his craft.

Yes, Ali. Not just his fighting wasn't appreciated, but also his character, which is also forgotten. His attitude towards women especially wasn't much to be desired. I think you're right. How come Ali can dance and prod his way around the ring, (boxing ring people, boxing ring!), and everyone says he is the greatest athlete of all time, and when Mayweather, who dances nowhere near as much as Ali, gets slated. And Leonard. He would literally run around the ropes from side to side after landing a combo, but the same people who class him as a hero knock Mayweather. Look at Hagler-Leonard. I personally am not knocking him or that particular fight, but it is double standards. It doesn't add up to me.