It's On

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Simon, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

really looking forward to this. haven't watched a boxing match in ages.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I had to laugh at that ^

You don't know the almighty ruckus that ensues when I send the wife an email tryin' to explain something to her. The irony of someone possessing both a graduate degree and a written-language attention span of two sentences cut'n pasted out of a primary reader.

"Get to the point"

"Every sentence is a point"

"All 5000 of them?" :mad:

lol. Well, I must say that I'm very impressed with you, good sir. Not only did you make it all the way to the end of my post, you got the alpha numeric order of the fanciful Mayweather's PLAN AI (not Plan IA ;)) correct.

You would have actually had to have read that bitch to get that. I salute you :bow1:

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I still think, one thing not yet mentioned, although illustrated in the article, is the referee's position on clinching is going to play a massive factor in the fight, too lenient and Floyd will tie up when ever he wants, too strict and Manny is going to be able to maintain a much more consistent assault.

4. belltoller

Good point, but it really depends on how you define leniency and strictness.

IIRC, Kenny Bayless - very respected ref but IIRC he was the ref for Floyd's Maidana fight and I don't recall Mayweather's camp having ANY complaints about the number of times he stepped in to put the leash about Maidana's neck.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

True, but he has refereed a number of fights for both fighters, and seems to play to their strengths in doing so, granted, a big part of the Maidana situation had to do with Money's camp making noises about how they felt Maidana had been allowed to fight dirtier than he should have in the first bout.

6. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I just read an interesting article from Lee Wylie that I would like to share! http://www.thefightcity.com/mayweat...n-manuel-marquez-tactics-strategy-prediction/

I am very excited for the match that's gonna happen in a few hours (contrary to most people in the thread from what I see.)
    Better late than never. Plus both boxers are in a very interesting place in their career right now and that makes this fight more intriguing to me.

I am rooting for Manny, because it would be more exciting if he could stage a big, spectacular comeback, like Ali did with Foreman.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmm. I thought Manny Pacquiao was going to fight tonight.

I saw Mayweather fight somebody. I don't know who it was, though. :cry:

36 punches thrown per round, average? And 7 punches landed per round?
    No, that wasn't Pac-Man in the ring. That wasn't Pac-Man. Mayweather was fighting someone else.

And the prelims weren't even very good. I got robbed of $90 tonight. :cry:

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Meh. Didn't think it would be anything special.

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It was pretty much what i expected it to be, as much as i love Pacquiao, the early cynical grumblings about the fight being a payday for a guy who started losing his reflexes years ago turned out to be eerie premonitions of the fight as i saw it.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think that for a show that was supposed to be special, it lacked anything outstanding. What sort of disappointing me is that I don't think any young kid would watch that and think "I want to learn how to box". That was perhaps the most disappointing part. I was always fairly sure Mayweather would win, even a few years ago, but a few years ago it would have been a harder fight for both men and would have examples of heart and skill such as we would never see again.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

And I expected great prelims, too. None of my friends or I actually ever looked up who was on the prelim card, but come on, just from this being such a big big night, we expected something wonderful! (sigh) :cry: + :bang:

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We still have Gennady Golovkin, so there's that.

13. belltoller

That bad, eh? I didn't see it. Didn't even know who won till I logged on here.

14. puma

puma Valued Member

Really? Nothing Mayweather did was outstanding?

It makes me laugh. This was so predictable. One man is a great fighter, the other a genius. In reality, we all knew Mayweather would toy with him. He always would have. Mayweather can't win. He stands his ground, his legs have apparently gone. He moves, ah, his dancing and running away. People have been blaming him for a poor fight, but what exactly was Roach's master plan? I have said this before, but I'm not sure about his training methods. From round one, Pacquiao looked as if he didn't know what to do. Like 40-odd others. He can't knee and rabbit punch like Maidana, so what's a man to do? Truth is, if you actually like boxing, and understand it, Floyd was amazing. It's the little moves and faints that put the other guy off that people don't notice. De la Hoya's jab supposibly just disappeared after 5 rounds, like magic. Hatton couldn't bully Mayweather, again, a coincidence? Pacquiao, he couldn't "get off" on Floyd. Ah, it's a fix! Pacquiao's not the fighter he was? Well, when would he have been competitive with Floyd? When he was struggling with Marquez, when he was getting out pointed by Morales? Or ko'd, again, by Marquez?

I just say, give Mayweather his due. Great fighter. If your son wanted to box, you'd want him to fight like Floyd, no one else. He'd earn millions and still have his brains in tact at the end. And, of you like actual boxing, I think he is fascinating to watch.

Pacquiao should quit with the shoulder stuff. The man of god lied to us when he said he felt "the best in 10 years," at the weigh in.

15. puma

puma Valued Member

I don't rate him. He's alright, but I think his last fight showed him to be limited. Certainly not a saviour of boxing in my opinion. I think If he drops down, Floyd would run rings round him, a la Alvarez, he goes up, and Ward ****es all over him, eats him for lunch. I know I'm in the minority, but I think he will lose soon when up against some half decent. Froch would do him as well. Too big.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He incredibly made Pacquiao look amateur. I can appreciate that, but technical and other worldly skills presiding, that was still a boring fight.

17. Bluesoup

Bluesoup Valued Member

Honestly, that was Pacquiao's fault. Everything that's great about Pacquiao, he didn't show it here. Of course a lot of that had to do with Mayweather being tricky, yet in the end it was Pacquiao falling short. The way he punched in this fight, I've never seen him punch like that, ever. For some reason, tonight he was going for heavy thudding shots, while his greatest punches are the quick snappy punches he's known for. And I can understand why he didn't fight as reckless as before, because of his knockout loss from Marquez. But where did his footwork go? He never used any of his footwork skills that, once again, he's known for. Sure, Mayweather is tricky and is a genius. No argument there, but I feel that the one most responsible for making Pacquiao look amateur this fight, was Pacquiao himself.

So I'm siding with Aikimac on this one. Floyd fought somebody yesterday, but I don't know who either. Not to take away from Floyd, but against other fighters he didn't turn them into someone else as showcased in this fight. Most of the other fighters still were able to display most of their strengths even though they came up short in the end. But Pacquiao looked to be another man entirely this fight. I can certainly understand people calling this fight fixed. For some time now, I haven't seen a fight that would be as justified in calling it fixed as this one.

Though until proven otherwise, I'll just say that Pacquiao defeated himself instead.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  18. puma

puma Valued Member

It was proven otherwise.

19. Bluesoup

Bluesoup Valued Member

Uhm...are you saying it has been proven the fight was fixed? :confused:

20. puma

puma Valued Member

No.