Its ok... As long as you're happy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Banpen Fugyo, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

*see attached pic*

Thoughts on this ideology? On a broader scope, is it ok to tell children or young adults that they should do "what makes them happy"? What if what makes them happy is: Wake up, goto cashier job, come home, play WoW, goto sleep, repeat?

I have a problem with this for the following reasons:

1. Life experiences
    If staying inside, playing video games, reading, whatever, makes you happy... cool. But at the same time you are missing out on things you dont know exist. You might LOVE hiking, something you will never experience staying inside. The way I view life is as a series of experiences. The more quality, quantity, and variety of these experiences, the better.

2. Being "happy"
    A criminal/rapist/circus clown/murderer is probably happy doing what he does, but that doesnt make it right. Similarly, someone who plays WoW all day might be happy, but that doesnt make his behavior a good idea.

3. Society
    Contributing to society and helping others is not only enjoyable in its own way, but it also keeps the human race in a state of progress.

4. Interaction
    Interacting with people, esp strangers, on a consistent basis helps personal growth as well as developing relationships. Reverting back to my first point, without new experiences in a real-world context, you are missing out on things(people) that you never knew were out there.

In conclusion, people with hobbies that contribute to antisocial behavior make excuses for themselves by saying that they are "happy" (which they very well could be). In reality, if they arent contributing to society, if they arent helping others, if they arent building relationships, if they are physically unhealthy (like the pic), then they are setting themselves up for failure in the long run. Its ok to have a hobby like this, as long as you can balance the rest of your life with it.

TL;DR:

Its ok to have an introverted hobby, but you should make an effort to build relationships with people and contribute to society.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I am "happy" to read this thread :D

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If that guy is truly happy with no friends outside of the web, eleveated cholestrol, heart palpatations, inability to ones winky to peep through and a lack of contact with the soft and squidgier half of the human equation then good luck to him

Somehow I doubt he truly is though

4. 47MartialMan

I bet he would be a lot "happier" if he had a sexy woman who desires him. :hat:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Is it not possible for him to have a wife and friends?

Not that I dont agree with you, but we cant make assumptions like that.

If he DOES have a wife and he DOES have friends (maybe at work?) then is this ideology still unhealthy? Minus the fatty fatness of course

6. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I don't know mate, it really just becomes a chore after a while. I mean for gods sake can't a guy just save some orphans from a burning house without being mobbed by women?? you know what I mean? Really does my nut in.

7. Hannibal

I see no ring nor do I think there is a missing one

Admittedly I was exagerrating for effect...

8. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

more seriously yes - people should do what makes them happy, thats a good lesson to learn, it's just not the only one.

9. 47MartialMan

......Makes thm happy within the confines of proper and legal restrictions

10. Hannibal

Things often make me incredibly happy at the time until I dwell on them.....Oblivion represents about 180hrs of my life I am not getting back anytime soon

I REGRET NOTHING!!!!

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Honestly, I agree with it. As long as it's legal and you're not hurting anyone else, by all means do what makes you happy. You may think the man in the attached pic is weird for liking figurines, computer games, and anime. He may think we're weird for putting on funny clothes, hitting each other, and posting on an online forum about it. A lot of people may think I'm weird for playing with rocks, tinkering with projects around my house, and being a trustee at my church.

Here's the thing: if it really makes you happy, you're not going to give a crap what other people think of you. You'll still do it anyways. And that's exactly how it should be.

I do think that it is important to try new things often but there should be no reason to stop doing something you love that isn't hurting anyone else simply because somebody else doesn't agree with it

12. Hannibal

Ultimately everybody always tries to make themselves happy...except Emo's but being miserable makes them happy so even that is OK I suppose

As long as you hurt no-one else then feel free to indulge yourself in whatever you want, but it is also important to be truthful to yourself rather than just lashing back at any criticism/observations that make you uncomfortable

The dude in the photo certainly looks happy enough, but should probably remember rule #1....

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I would like to add something.

People should do what makes them happy in the long run.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

So there are two questions here.

First, what is happiness?
    Second, how do you get it?

I posit that people who claim they are happy spending their lives sexless, playing video games and getting fat do not understand happiness. They have pursued an incorrect definition of happiness and achieved it. This man has not set appropriate goals.

Let's face it. Happiness is very simple and it is derived first and foremost from fulfilling the biological needs that are applicable to what level of human existence you are at.

If you are a naked pygmy in the forest and you can get some food and water, you are ready to find shelter. If you have shelter, you are ready to find one or more mates that satisfy one. Once you are satisfied with your mate you are free to pursue self-actualization, and become satisfied in your methods of obtaining food, water, shelter and a mate. I haven't achieved self actualization yet, so the next level of existence would be rabid conjecture at this point.

So I argue that happiness is related to the level of quality you can achieve in fulfilling each level of needs.

If you drink the finest wine and the most high quality, tastiest food and plenty of it, you will be happier then you would be if you were eating crackers, drinking water and wondering where your next meal was coming from, or plowing through burger king every night and wondering why your colon is impacted and your belly is hanging over your belt.

If you live in a posh mansion filled with servants and modern conveniences you will be happier than a guy living in a cardboard box.

If you work a lucrative job you love and are passionate about, you will be happier then a guy slinging burgers at burger king for 5.50 an hour and hating life.

If you date an Asian supermodel and chef who waits on you hand and foot, treats you like a king and loves you more than chocolate, you will be happier than a guy who dates a girl the size of a Toyota Tercel who can't even make him cheezy mac for dinner.

If you are able to give assistance to the poor and less fortunate, you will be happier than someone who is forced to live on the public dole.

These are all facts. It's hard to argue with them. Happiness comes from fulfilling your biological imperatives, being a good person, and taking care of those that are less fortunate than you.

It took me around 27 years to build up this definition of happiness. I'm sure it will take 25 seconds for some internet clown to tear it down but I'm ok with that.

It only took me about 6 months to implement it though, once I realized what happiness was.

I think the guy in the photo, and the culture that you refer to, are full of people who pursue quality human existence in the wrong order. You see, Mr Fat Man Chu has started pursuing self actualization and good shelter without pursuing high quality food and beverage, and likely, without pursuing a high quality mate.

I can tell he isn't pursuing high quality food and beverage because he is over weight. Some of you may state that he is overweight because he doesn't exercise. I never exercise and I weight around 190 with 18% bodyfat. Not a valid objection in my opinion.

This guy eats too much junky food or he wouldn't be fat. Because of that I really doubt he's getting the quality strange.

He's trying to build the middle part of his pyramid in the ruins of his foundations. I recommend people like this go back to the basics. Turn off the video games and learn how to cook or at least how to identify good food. Then go find a real high quality lady who treats you like a king. Then go start on self actualization.

I spent a lot of time playing video games. I still play the Witcher 2 sometimes, between a full time job, starting my own electronics company, driving my sports car (oh I have 2 now)/truck/jet ski and nailing my ridiculously hot girlfriend who cooks 2-3 meals a day cleans my house. So you can see how I might think that all the time I spent playing video games was kind of a waste.

Video games are not a valid path for self actualization because they don't actually produce anything.

15. Yohan

If you can't tell I take the quest for happiness very serious.

16. OMG!!!!!!
    What they say about Alabama is true after all... :D

Osu!

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

No it's not. Everyone carries certain responsibilities for those that are around them. Compromises have to be made.

18. Yohan

That our points are so well constructed and logical that no rebuttal is made against them?

19. Osu,

You are hilarious...
    Really, there is nothing that the passing of time won't tell you better...

Enjoy the process, you are in for a shock! :)

Osu!

20. Yohan

I'm good with that. Life is water, not stone.