It's official! Invicta pillaged for new UFC division

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by aaradia, Dec 12, 2013.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

hrmph! I doubt the women will be peeing in other people's stuff or threatening to fight each other outside the octagon like the men have in the past.

I disagree that the women will have more drama than the men have. Really, the contestants weren't so bad last TUF. The drama was mostly Ronda.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Isn't the drama generally dying on TUF? It happened in the past because the sport still attracted some of the more douchey people and more thuggy street types could actually make it. Plus some blatant accepting cast members for ratings like Junie Browning's brother. Now though the sports got too professional for the most part it seems to me. The people on it are athletes and appreciate what they're being offered. When the most exciting thing you can say about a recent season is someone getting drunk and saying "let me bang bro" a lot it shows that sort of thing isn't going to happen much anymore.

Then again, fighters who are already known, signed, and are competing for a title might end up a bit more high strung.

3. aaradia

Just curious, did you have the same objection when Dominick Cruz got his UFC belt the same way Ronda did?

Was that a fanboy move by White towards Cruz?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. aaradia

I found this really interesting article on Shannon Knapp's attitude regarding the pillaging of her strawweight division.

She is a class act! I love her attitude here! Just as I have over various issues in the past.
    She is part of why I support Invicta.

I also think she is really smart to build a good relationship with the UFC, instead of a negative one.

And she encourages me about the future of Invicta saying she can rebuild Invicta's strawweight division. What she says makes sense. I believe she can do it.

What do you all think of this article?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/...ufc-no-says-shannon-knapp-more-a-game-changer

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think she's accepted that if the UFC come knocking, then there is no way she can force fighters to stay with her earning a fraction of the money the UFC can pay. Getting angry about it is counter-productive.

I don't think she can rebuild the division. Look at bantamweight - it's a ghost town.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think Invicta will be the Championship to the UFC's Premier League (or B League to A League for you non-Brits who don't follow real football). I see the UFC putting a cap on the number of fighters in each division, with Invicta being a proving ground where up and coming fighters can prove their worth until a spot opens up. I think Shannon will be able to refill the division because WMMA is going to grow exponentially, but I don't think she will be able to prevent Invicta becoming a feeder to the UFC - nor should she, if she wants to keep it going.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think the Major league/Minor league split is something that the UFC has to formalise. They have too many fighters and if they don't want to be sending those fighters to rival promotions, they need to come up with a way of keeping them in house but out of the way of the big events.

8. Brickkick

Brickkick New Member

not really a reply, i just want to get into a amature fight and just try my skill out, and i want to know ,who has that kind of info.

9. Southpaw535

Join an mma gym.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

From Wikipedia:

'Cruz faced Scott Jorgensen on on December 16, 2010 at WEC 53 for both the WEC Bantamweight Championship and the newly created UFC Bantamweight Championship.[7] This bout would be the final Bantamweight Championship fight under the WEC banner and would also crown the inaugural UFC Bantamweight champion, making this the only UFC title fight to take place outside of the UFC.[8] Cruz defeated Jorgensen via unanimous decision (50–45, 50–45, 50–45), to retain the WEC Bantamweight Championship and become the first UFC Bantamweight Champion.[9]'

It wasn't just handed to him like Ronda. He had to fight to get it, not fight to defend it.

11. aaradia

He was given the UFC belt at the demise of the WEC, just like Ronda was given the UFC belt at the demise of Strikeforce. Both had UFC belts before ever fighting in the Octagon. Both had a first fight in said octagon to retain their belt.

Ronda fought a last fight in Strikeforce for her strikeforce belt, just like Cruz did in the WEC. The way Wikipedia phrases it is weird, but the events were actually pretty similar. The only difference being when they announced getting the UFC belt. But both got it after a championship fight in another organaization and before a UFC fight in a brand new division.

People on MMA forums widely make the same complaint about Cruz that you did about Ronda.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

But Ronda's last fight for Strikeforce wasn't for the UFC belt. Cruz's fight was for the WEC belt and UFC belt. Big difference.

13. aaradia

Hmmm, Not to me.

He didn't fight for his UFC championship in the UFC. He was given it for a fight in another organization. He never fought in the UFC , but was already crowned UFC champ.

Guess we just disagree on this. But thanks for answering my quesiton.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I loved watching the women fight, much more entertaining than the men.

15. Southpaw535

I wasn't a strikeforce or wec watcher but wasn't Cruz's last fight after they'd announced the WEC was going to fold into the UFC so they could set it up as a ufc title fight?

On the flipside Ronda had her title fight in Strikeforce before the merger was announced.

Either way, aaradia is right that both fought for their title in their first fight so neither was really gifted it. I remember a lot of bitching about the ronda fight too because it meant making Hendo-Machida a 3 rounder

16. aaradia

The really stupid thing about that was Hendo/ Machida was originally signed as a three rounder BEFORE Ronda's first fight. It was not switched to a three rounder, it was always intended as one.

17. Southpaw535

Yep although the freaking out on Sherdog was about how a filfhy heathen women's fight was taking a five rounder (whether Hendo-Machida was or not) and how if the ufc had any respect they'd demote it to a three round co-main. Nevermind title fights always take precedence and are always 5 round fights.

18. aaradia

lol! Yes, Sherdog did freak out. And whenever it was pointed out Hendo/ Machida was originally signed as a three rounder, those that freaked out ignored this fact!

IMO that Hendo/ Machida fight was a snoozer too. And I like Machida and his fighting style.