It's official...dun dun dun

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Sep 22, 2005.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Saw the surgeon today. I have a reducible inguinal hernia. What does this mean for me? No weight training or MA for a while! I get the operation the 23rd (day before Thanksgiving) and won't be able to work, workout, go to MA, or do any strenuous activity until around the beginning to middle of January. There goes all my strength out the window.... :rolleyes: O well, I guess I'll kick stuff off with some EDT once I'm able to train again (that should help pack on what I lose...:D). Grrrrr.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bang:

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I thought it sounded like an inguinal hernia when you mentioned it but didn't want to curse it! Oh well, maybe next time you won't strain yourself so much and you can stick to the pink dumbells :D :Angel: :D

Seriously though, if it doesn't hurt to run or swim or something like that, then concentrate on conditioning. Heck, you could even mash something like your grip strength or something, might as well get some work done whilst your out of action.

3. GhostOfYourMind

The only reason I'd ever touch a pink dumbbell would be to throw at you....;):D. I'll probably work on grip work. Looks like I'll have time to get and read Staley's new book, and get some other ones....:D I can also devote some time to my hobby now...weeee! (i'm really gonna hate this... :bang: )

4. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

I got a appointment tommorow with the orthapedic surgeon about my knee, ive had some knee pain recently,nothing too major but still, likely some sprained connective tissue. So hey, dont feel too lonely ghost :D

5. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

So what caused it? Any avoidance tips?

6. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I wish you a quick recovery mate.

7. GhostOfYourMind

It seems to be a genetic thing from my dad's side of the family. The surgeon said that probably when my testicles dropped inside of my mother's womb, the body cavity never fully sealed or still had a weak spot, and probably my recent escapades with heavy weightlifting were the final blow for it. So basically, it was gonna happen some time, and now is that time. Avoidance tips? No lifting for me, no strenuous exercise, basically no physical activities until around december to early/mid january.:( I had the perfect plan to get back into training seriously too! BAH!

Thanks combatant. Surgery isn't until 11/23, so I'll let you all know how it goes and what not. :)

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not that it's any real consolation - but there are many people who have this same issue. So that's good news in a sense as it means they're not trying out any radically new and risky procedure on you. :)

Think of it this way... it gives you ample time to read up on all the detailed studies related to strength training you've always wanted to! :D

Good luck and God speed. :Angel:

9. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Dont panic. Recovery time is highly dependent on the method of repair,, and your general condition. You'll be OK to swim pretty quickly.

And I'm sure you'll be fine for hammer curls and tricep kickbacks ;)

On a serious note Sean Ferguson - Mr Great Britain 2001 and 2003 - had an inguinal hernia repair and was training with weights maybe 3 weeks later. But he's an unusual guy.

10. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

well i saw the doc today, got xrays taken, he saw nothing wrong so im scheduled for an MRI next week- he thinks it MAY be a torn ligament, if so ima be having surgery too, if not i hope physical therapy is all ill need. Haha this should be the "broken health and fitness geeks" thread :D I dont think i will be able to stay home though, ive been wearing a brace when i go to the gym and its been fine.

11. GhostOfYourMind

No! MY THREAD! GAAHHH! GET YOUR OWN (hope it's just a physical therapy thing though Boxbaba, surgery would suck:()! :D

So yeah, what other strength training/fitness books are there I can read besides the ones mentioned in the Ultimate Resource thing? So far on my list (in no particular order):

1) Staley's new "Muscle Logic" book thing
    2) Sommer's Olympic bodyweight book thing
    3) Supersquats by Bill Starr
    4) Infinite Intensity

What else should I pick up/read in the middle of the bookstore so as I don't need to buy it?:D

12. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

ghost, u tryna steal my thread? :D

WEIGHTLIFTING ENCYCLOPEDIA!!-damn good book
    but u gotta buy it :D

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

If you're interested in the O lifts, and if you can find it for a decent price.

14. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

bah who isnt!

finding it, will be trickier though :p

15. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

There's no need to be overly careful. A few years ago, I ruptured a hernia-in-waiting by doing a front breakfall. Once diagnosed, my doctor warned against strenuous activity until I could have surgery, as it could escalate the issue, and cause a need for immediate surgery.

Not wanting to wait 4 months on the surgery waiting list, I did everything I could to go against the doctor's orders, so I could get emergency surgery. I weighlifted strenuously, I continued to do martial arts, but I never did get my coveted rupture, and ended up waiting the full waiting period for surgery.

If you're doing martial arts, you're no spring chicken. If I were you, I'd just continue training, but avoid front breakfalls, or jumps. Avoid running. Kicks shouldn't be a problem at all.

The good thing is that the surgical techniques have improved a lot, and your downtime should be measured in days, instead of the weeks I was out back then.

16. GhostOfYourMind

Sounds interesting. I'm not gonna push the envelope though. Maybe I'll do a few isolation exercises here and there (i know...taboo!:D) so I don't lose ALL my strength, and some swimming or walking. I haven't been back to TKD in a while because of school anyways, and now I'm sick (what crappy luck!) so I gotta take it a bit easy anyways. Thanks for your sharing though. :D