It's been a year.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sackett, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

It's been a year since a group of teenagers broke in to my house, stole a necklace, two computers and an ipod, hacked my couch apart with a knife, and set the house on fire. The smoke from the fire killed my then 4 year-old's cat and destroyed anything plastic, electronic, or otherwise porous in the house. We lived with a friend for 6 months while the house was gutted completely and rebuilt.

It's been a year. I've survived. Mostly I'm glad I wasn't home that night, because who know what could have happened to me.

But sometimes I wish I had been, because who knows what would have happened to them... :D

Any thoughts?

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

You cant change the past ...move on ....life has too much to offer

Smurf :D

3. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

You're on the other side of the world now.
    Forget it.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

No use worrying about "What could have been".

Just be thankful for "What is."

5. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

I wouldn't say I spend much time in the what-if world, really, I don't think. Just feeling sad tonight for all that is lost. I don't miss the stuff, so much, though there are a few things it's hard to let go of: the teddy I grew up with, drawings the kids did, hand made quilts, that kind of thing.

Ah, well. As you all say, life goes on and things change.

Still, it's good to be sad about sad things sometimes.

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Remember but dont dwell

Smurf :cool: :cool:

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

How you finding the Uk?

8. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

I like it. I miss my friends and family like crazy, but England has lovely people, too. And I like the food and the land use patterns. It's nice to be so close to the rest of Europe. And, of course, I like the beer. :)

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Does everyone treat you like a celeb?

10. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

More like they might catch Americanitis from me if they come too close!

I can't wait til the US elects a democrat next year!

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

So you mean that they are all gonna want Coronas, Budweiser, and Coors to drink now?? :p

12. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

You can see why they would want to be careful!

13. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

The material things are one thing, and other than inconvenience there's no real harm.

The sad part, which as you say needs to be remembered, must have been explaining about the cat to Sage - and how actions of mindless scumbags effected your family.

Glad you're liking the UK, it's been really great getting to know you and seeing you and your family settle in.

Yep, the beer is good! And I don't think we've been struck down with Americanitis - however if I hear myself say "y'all" I'm going to have a word!

Rob

14. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

They were in Guatemala. They finally called me from an internet cafe. It was a very sad way to tell them. I couldn't even hold them when they cried. Andy was with them, of course, and as soon as they got home, they were surrounded by loving friends and family. People were SO great to us. I'd way rather be us then the scumbags. Imagine having to live knowing what you'd done?

You are kind. We can be so shy and dorky!

And "y'all" is a GREAT word! I'm not even from the south and I use it!