It's All About the Strength

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yeah there's only so many skills you can learn. Strength can go up pretty much indefinitely.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Aren't any of you young folks taught to cheat?

What kind of goody-two-shoes world are you training in these days? :p

And what happened to mental and spiritual parts of the equation? You aren't very strong if you have no will to go on.

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

That's the biggest bonus to conditioning in my mind. Making you hard. It's a way to grind the quit out of a person. Conditioning is the place to learn how to stop agonizing about the discomfort and do what you're there to do.

4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Finite Monkey tried to teach me to cheat, lol.

I go for raw strength, he likes things like pulling and tearing your adductor muscles. ;)

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In order to make any technique work, you will need:

- timing,
    - opportunity,
    - angle,
    - strength,
    - balance.

The strength is 1 of the 5 requirements.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

How do you suppose to use the other guys strength? Will he just give to you because he is stupid, or you have to ask for it? How do you ask for it? Do you have to give him some strength, depending on whether he resists or yields, you then borrow his strength? Since you have to "give" before you can "take", The more strength that you can give, the more strength that you can take.

You need to have "initial cash (strength)" to do any investment.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Actually IMO, it's the other way around. The skill has limitation but the strength will have no limitation. You can spar/wrestle all your life to develop your skill that way. If you don't work on heavy bag and weigh equipment, your "skill" will always be limited and you can't break through that boundary.

When you get old, your speed, endurance, flexibility, balance, may be all gone but your strength will be with you through your old age (your most trust friend). If you can bench press certain amount weight when you are 20, you may still be able to bench press that much when you are 80.

Your "strength" will be your only friend when you get old.

8. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Not that one should boast anyway, but it seems pretty clear that you are not strong. Or at least, you are not strong through effort.

In additional to my martial arts training, I lift for hours nearly every day. If the other guy thinks he can step up to the plate with JUST his skill, and didn't put hours of strength work in like me, then he's fooling himself. I put in as much if not more effort and attention into strength work (granted, I compete in a strength sport, but theres a lot of carryover) as I do into my martial arts training.

Thats plenty to boast about on its own.

Edit:

I can't tell if Robinhood is a troll poster, if so 5/10, because I responded, but I'm not mad.

Edit Two:

Another good point made about strength lasting. Power output through speed, as well as recovery from stress, decreases pretty quickly after peak in the mid to late twenties for men, not sure for women. However, strength can increase well into the 40s and sometimes even 50s. Look at many world record powerlifters. I think 80 is pushing it, but 50 or 60, kept in good shape, is actually not too out of the ordinary assuming you don't get injured.

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have a over 200 lb rock next to my drive way. 3 months before my tournament, I always spent time to move that rock around. During the tournament, I knew most people didn't work as hard as I did. I also believed that I might be the strongest guy in the whole tournament. That kind of thinking along gave me self-confidence.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Awesome

-----------------

Strength can help to prevent injuries. It's usually the part of my body that isn't as conditioned/strong, whether that be a tendon or a muscle that ends up getting injured. Parts that are kept strong tend to not have lasting injuries. IME.

11. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

That's good, you need strength to win your sport games, they are setup with rules that favor conditioning and strength. But are just sport games, with some carryover to real life.

If you think skill is just different movement techniques, you will be very limited in your development.

Cheers

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I find it strange that I've had to ask Robinhood three times now what his training background is and have still not gotten a response.

13. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Yes, I agree, without full body integrity you would be already inefficient.

Full body integration is a must, without it you are just spinning your wheels.

Cheers

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

And somehow in "real life", where due to physiological responses fine motor skills are the first to go, strength is suddenly less important?

15. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Sounds like you are only talking about skill in individual sporting events.

I am talking about skill in MA application, where you have 2 or more people interacting in real time, not fixed mechanical competition events.

If you think of skill as mechanical movements, yes you will have limits.

Cheers

16. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

How, pray tell, are we supposed to think of skill then?

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i am talking about skill, the ability to voluntarily coordinate your movement in order to efficiently perform an action you want to perform. i never once mentioned sports, or competitions. skill IS physically limited. there is, for any given physical motion of the human body, an ideal mix of alignment and force vectors that is perfect for the goal you have in mind with such a motion. it is almost impossible to reach this limit, but once reached, it is by definition impossible to surpass it.
    on the other hand, muscular contractile strength, which is the tool by which the human body moves, can be increased as much as is sustainable by the structural integrity of the bones to which it is anchored (which increases in proportion to increases in strength), and by nutrient consumption in order for the body to fuel all of its tissues in relation to what their use demands.

18. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You have stated this as a fact, please cite your references or other proof. Anecdotal stories about yourself or others is not proof.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i have already disproved it.

20. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

I don't see any reason to bring up back ground, sounds political to me.

It is not the journey that is important but the destination it takes you to.

I can usually can tell someone's background from what they say, if you can't understand what I am saying then usually you have not been down this path yet.

Styles are just a path to a destination, some paths are longer and shorter than others, and have many factors that can effect them, but in the end the results should end at the same place, efficient skill.

I think most styles started out with people who reached a high level of skill, but usually that skill was not passed on much further, but mutated into some kind of classical mess, that is only a shadow of the original style.

So, to me style is not as important as what is absorbed or removed.

My words should be a clue to my background , otherwise I am describing a place you might not have visited yet, and will not know it until you visit it.

The art of fighting without fighting.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.