It's All About the Strength

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

And it always will, so you need to be stronger or last longer or get lucky. (sport events)

You develop different attributes doing that kind of training, but if is skill you are developing you will keep it for life.

I am just talking about developing skill that you will have in the future without constant maintenance.

There is a difference between a complete martial art, and a gym with boxing gloves, although one is a lot harder to find than the other.

If you need a high level of strength and speed to defend yourself you are probably not practicing a complete MA system, but are using a collection of techniques which usually is equivalent to playing rock, paper, scissors.

There are a few main ingredients you need to have for a MA to work properly, but in the end, you don't run from power, but neutralize it or return it to your opponent.

Cheers

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Can you finish a fight this way? A fight is "finished" only if your opponent is no longer be able to harm you.

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

There is no such animal.

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Magical thinking is the answer to everything. When you get old and slow and weak you will still be able to beat up MMA thugs with you magical powers and some help from the My Little Ponies.

[​IMG]

5. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

If he does not move first, and your in a hurry you need to entice him to move,
    their are many ways to entice him, but if he is better than you, you could be in trouble.

I would use as little force as possible, more of getting them into a position that makes them uncomfortable and they will move to get comfortable.

But an opponent should already always be covering everything you do before you even touch them, if they don't, free lunch.

Cheers

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

PWNED

7. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

They all ready did, but the results don't happen overnight.

8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Zaad, you can't talk to him and his ilk. They have the true secret magic level 12 wizard skills that will allow them to defeat all of those MMA thugs and orcs. As you well know wizard skills get stronger as you get older so you have nothing to worry about when you are 78 and look like a rubber chicken. You will still be mighty and powerful like Gandalf the White.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think this gives you away a little.
    Sure the concept sounds okay, but there is no depth to your arguement.

Can you decribe the ways to entice the opponent, and can you detail why you feel that enticement is better than direct attacks?

Take a look at this thread. There is some substance to my answers. It does not matter if everyone disagrees with what I've written, but surely you can see you someone may be taken a little more seriously if they can offer a better arguement than you have done so far?

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Robinhood, is this your teacher?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I"]Kiai Master vs MMA - YouTube[/ame]

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

actually i have a feeling that we were invaded by some cultish JKD forum recently and this might be some odd level 30 dark mage that tagged along.

12. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Ya, you can teach school kids sport fighting, need to start somewhere.

But on the street their are no rules, and usually not even match ups either.

You are either going to be harassed by someone that has clear advantage, either by number of people or surprise attach, weapon ,etc.

Are you still in grade school ?

Cheers

13. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

You were talking about lifting a motor, not pulling on legs, sounds like your back to sport fighting.

Cheers

14. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Zaad, don't feed the troll. This one is getting boring. He keeps saying the same stuff over and over. Just not funny anymore.

If he would have gone into a little more detail it may have stayed interesting but it appears his knowledge is just too shallow to make conversation interesting.

Oh well, one can always hope.

Yawn.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Who is talking about "sport fighting"? Do you know that "inner leg blocking" move is illegal in Judo sport?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  16. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Oh no you didn't!!!

17. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

And now he will say something about Judo being a sport.

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

If you are talking about real life situations, skill is overrated.

Applicable experience and attitude are often much more important in determining the outcome of a real situation than skill. Skill is still important, it just is a distant third in importance compared to experience and attitude.

It is usually martial artists, who are inexperienced in real world, that praise the value of skill over other things. Not surprisingly, this is the same reason that martial artists often get their behinds handed to them in real fights and in such things as ring and cage fights... they are ill prepared due to their inexperience. Many MMA fighters have more experience that applies to real world fights than most martial artists who have trained for the same amount of time, making the MMA fighter better prepared for real world than the martial artist.

On a related note, I would take most police officers of five years on duty over a black belt of five years training in a real situation. The police officer's experience is just a lot more reliable and applicable than most martial arts training.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

- Strength won't matter if you get into knife fight.
    - MA skill won't matter if you get into gun fight.
    - Nothing will matter if there is a nuclear war.

20. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

A fight is done when they can no longer continue or choose not to continue.

Its up to you how you choose to get that result, you need to neutralize the opponent first, unless your game is rockem sockem robots.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.