it's all about sharing...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cioGium, Feb 10, 2003.

1. cioGium

cioGium New Member

The karate master

"The karate master sat on the tatami, crossed his legs, and looked far beyond the only student before him with an absent look in his eyes.

He began to speak: Remember, every thing you do, even if the most insignificant, do it, as it were your last. Knowing that you can’t do it again because you won’t have the time or the possibility. So it will be a thing done with passion, done well, and with love.

If not, every gesture, every action will be lifeless, and you will not be enriched by the experiences, sentiments, and feelings. You will live your days without knowing yourself, you and your soul will live separately, without meeting, and you will never be able to communicate.

The student listened with his mouth agape in the silence of the dojo. Though the master was whispering, the words resonated with more impact in his mind.

“ But how can I, master, said the student, tightening the knot of his black belt, how will I know that the things I do are really the best they can be if I only do them once. Can’t understand that.
    It is almost as I was dead.

The master closed his eyes and moved slightly to get more comfortable.

“ Even in that case, I want to say that if you were dead, you couldn’t know if the thing that you were doing, were really the last thing you did.

You see, death comes very quick and from behind, without warning. It is like a mae geri chudan with velocity and power you cannot stop.

Generally death blows its own wind lightning fast and powerful. You need live knowing this, knowing that you could die at every moment, and that all that you do will be lived in full, and with ultimate passion.

Nothing will be discounted as useless, a smile, a gift, a new friend. All that you do will give immense pleasure, and you will savor life’s essence.

“ But master, I will have a sad life, continuing to gaze in the master’s closed eyes. If I will think of dying every moment, how can I be happy? How will I be carefree and worry free?

How will I be able to smile and love, if every moment I must be conscious of my own death?

Sorry master if I doubt your words. Cannot believe that if a man accepts his mortality he is already dead in some way.

The master opened his eyes and stared those of his student. “ I am glad to speak with you, and what you tell me is true. But because a man has reached the understanding his mortality, he is more alive than ever. He can live his moments in time, his emotions, with a maturity superior to those of others who are not able to grasp this significance. This man will live naturally all his emotions and actions as it were his last time. He will have reached an automatic state of mind where that reality is present in his every action, every passion, every thought.

Instead of being sad, he will be spurned to do more, to love more, until he runs out of possibilities.”

The student got up..”So you don’t consider me mature? Meaning I have not reached that “auto pilot” that leads the mind with the knowledge of this truth?”

“Why did you get up?” asked the sensei. “Sorry master it was my instinct, dropping back down on his heels.”

“ What did you feel in doing it?”

Student “In getting up or sitting down?”

Master “In doing both’

Student:” in listening to you I felt great joy as inside of me hidden lights suddenly came to life.
    In getting up I felt a sense of anger. He said looking down.

‘You are wrong” said the master, “ I think now you have matured” _ you are strong and learn fast, you are modest, and sincere and I believe in your physical capacities, and I also want to believe in your mental capacities, or your potential will be reduce by 50%.

For power you need self-confidence, and a good technique is only good if it has power, and velocity. But I think you are ready to learn the ‘secrets’ I am about to divulge to you.

“ But why me, master?

“ Because you are the best of all my students”

“ Is it important to be the best?

Master “ every answer will seem presumptuous but I think you can answer that on your own.”

2. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

No offence, but you should really post shorter messages. I reckon about 90% of people will get bored and stop reading before they reach the end!

3. Buddroux

Buddroux New Member

I actually read the whole story.... but it was kinda boring... sorry... thats the truth...

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Interesting assessment of what 90% of people here do - after just 16 posts and 8 days here. :rolleyes:

I read it all - unfortunatley it didn't "speak" to me.

Where is it from CioGium?

5. cioGium

cioGium New Member

I think it is your choice to or not to read it till the end. I also find some posts to be rather long and boring and i choose not to read them till the end-i don't belive it is something offensive more it is a problem of choice.
    The paragraph is from a uechi-ryu forum(i dont remember the corect adress uechiryu.com or something like that). I read it again today and it doesn't speaks to me either! :cry: What have you done to her??!?!?

p.s. i thing it is a japan "carpe diem" sort of thing; enjoy every moment of it while you have it! If you choose to do something do it with determination and passion not just for the heck of doing it!

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Nicely summarised - now THAT speaks to me :D

7. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

okay yoda, your point is well made :p