ITF & WTF Tae Kwon Do in 2008 Olympics?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KickChick, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

AFAIK, grades up to 3rd Dan are confirmed on equal basis, so 3rd Dan ITF can be transferred to 3rd Dan WTF. I'm not sure about higher grades though.

Regards

Gizmo

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think if you want to transfer in at 3rd dan you still have to pay the fee for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd dan before you can get the 3rd dan.

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

AFAIK, you are right.

Gizmo

4. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Why would the ITF want to become a sport?

5. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

We're talking ITF sparring, y'know... the SPORT.

6. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

I'd love to see a joint WTF-ITF Olympic movement if nothing else than to see them argue about how to properly spell it.

"We are so glad and honored to have this first mutual ITF-WTF Taekwon-Do team."
    "Thank you. We are also honored to participate with the ITF in this first mutual Tae Kwon Do Olympic movement"
    "It's Taekwon-Do!"
    "No it's not, it's Tae Kwon Do!"

7. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I spell it Taekwondo . . . just being more efficient on the keyboard and typing less characters and hitting less buttons :D

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

:D Then they can have a big brawl and the winners represent their respective countries at the olympics!

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Heh heh heh... and to see the fight over whose name goes first (remember the Korea-Japan/Japan-Korea Soccer stuff)?

10. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

No, the best part would be the ensuing argument between the "Tae Kwon Do is 2000 years old" faction and the "Gen. Choi Hong Hi created Taekwon-Do". That in itself might lead to arguments and unsanctioned matches.

11. Carly_TKD

Carly_TKD New Member

i think its rubbish that itf have to be members of wtf and kukkiwon. if your good enough, u should be allowed to trial and get in to the england team regardless of sytle. I'm not even allowed to trial for the itf england team because my association isn't affiliated to the ITF. So despite winning several British and National Championships, i'm stuck without a chance of making the team.
    Hopefully ITF and WTF will be joint in the olympics one day if not 2008, maybe 2012 for London

12. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i'm puzzled by the different associations...
    WTF
    ITF
    ITA
    TAGB

I'm ITA and my house mate is TAGB, if either of us were good enough to be classed as worthy to represent our country... but because we are not part of the WTF... :bang:

imagine the possibilities, hundreds/thousands of TKD students/instructors in the world but bound by red tape.

all very anal to me.

So much simpler when i was doing Judo, just the BJA...

13. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I know it's taekwondo, but the sports are different. Thems the breaks unfortunately. WTF is a member of the IOC and that is the reason they get to make the rules; however Chang Ung is now a member as well, but that only matters if you are under his ITF.

14. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Has anything more been found out about if ITF and WTF will definitely be in the olympics together?!!

15. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

Personally I hope the ITF & WTF never merge.
    To me they are totally different systems. Mechanics involved in performing each technique are different, etc..

Let them be two separate arts.

As for the Olympcs, I think it should be open for all who can qualify, no matter what organization they belong to.

16. PaFF

PaFF Valued Member

Well said.

17. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I was under the impression that it was, kind of.

If I were an athlete of that calibre, and I were to join a WTF club, then be successful in Olympic style sparring, I would hope to be considered for team GB.

But I'm not, I haven't and I won't be, so I won't be :D

18. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

19. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

But yet they are tied together at the hip. A lot of people forget that too. :)

20. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

Here's the deal...

The IOC wants one and ONLY ONE governing body per sport. The kukkiwon is it for TKD. The reasoning behind this is so that there's one ruleset, and no arguments about what it should be from different governing bodies. It's not going to change. This is why other MA's aren't even on the short list for the Olympics, because there's too many varying organizations, and none of them agree.

The upside to all this, is that getting a KKW certification isn't terribly hard (provided of course you've got the skills), and they really don't care if you're part of another organization.