ITF Style Hyungs

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chazz, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Hey all of you that practice ITF style forms.
    Think about all the forms that you have done.

What form do you like the best and why.

What do you think is the best looking form you have done and why?

How does your TKD forms do in tourneys?

2. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

The best pattern that I know so far is Do San, and that's purely because of the number of really nice techniques that can be found in it.

I also like Sajo-jirugi (I know it's not a pattern :0)) because of the number of takedowns and throws that can be found in it.

If you want to find out more about the bungai, please feel free to to http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk and click on the Practical TKD link. I'm sure that you'll be interested :0)

3. Chazz

That is a nice hyung! I do think that my fav part of it would be about the last 10 moves. I think it is one of the best looking forms and well as having a lot of nive moves.

What rank are you when you are doin Do San?

4. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Hiya,

3rd Kup, I'll be doing it as my favourite pattern even as a black belt. I like the chokes, take downs, throat grabs etc that are in it. It's a really nasty pattern.

5. Chazz

I just thought that i would bring back this thread. We now have a lot more TKD people here that do the ITF Style forms. So lets hear from you.

6. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

My favourite to do has to be Gae-Baek right now.

I really like the variety of moves it has aerial,dodging,jumping etc.

Plus it's probably my best one... he he.

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Currently I am doing Se Jong and Yoo Sin ...

I like the "flow" of Se Jong ... (I especially like the one-legged stance striking left palm with right back forearm... something I really like about that "move")
    Yoo Sin is rather confusing to me ... so many movements ! (it's the longest form I am learning so far)

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i personally doesn't like forms n i m not collector of form but even still i like doing chon ji because it's my best form ;) after that if anything i like to practice is step sparrings and hosin suls in TKD.
    -TkdWarrior-

9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

When I was practising ITF Hyung, I liked Hwa Rang as a coloured belt. It containes many nice aplications of movement and is aesthetic to look at. As a Dan-level practitioner, I would say that Sam-Il is one of my favourites. It has an ease to it, yet it is still very powerful. I have always liked hitting hard with little effort.

10. Chazz

Hwa Rang is a nice form. It is still one of my favs.

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Have to agrree Hwa-Rang and Choong-Moo are pleasing to watch and perform.

Simple but varied. This I like. Kwang-Gae is a nice pattern for relaxation I find. Lots of nice slow controlled movement!

12. Mark Davies

Mark Davies Valued Member

Patterns

I have to say that my favourite pattern that I currently practise has to be Juche, but to watch it has to be moon moo coz it's just beautiful. After 20 years in TaeKwon-Do I still think Hwa-Rang is fantastic.

13. Chazz

I think Eu am is nice as well

14. Mark Davies

I like Eui Am as well, coz it's relatively simple & suits my simple mind, hehe:D

15. darlph

darlph New Member

Hwa Rang is my favorite even though I think Poen is pretty neat too. I like the switching balances and different directions they both do. I like to watch people a tournaments do their katas and note the differences in teachings. Check out the different variations of Tye Gi sometime :)

16. Mark Davies

Po Eun is a cracking pattern. I remember at a course the General was taking questions with his son, & someone asked him about continuous motion, which he answered. Then someone asked him about the correct way to do continuous motion in Po Eun, as it was such a large number of techniques. The look that General Choi gave him was class. The phrase 'shrink shrivel & die' comes to mind. Try thinking about the application of the patterns whilst using weapons & how they translate.

17. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

hmmmm, for my 'favourite' tul i would choose hwarang (2gup, if you already didn't know).

the best tul i've ever preformed was choong moo in my red+ test.

you can see hwarang here, movement by movement in pictures (i couldn't find good examples on video anywhere)

http://www.nfta.fi/nftapdf/

18. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

currently im doing choong jang and im really enjoying it, i wouldnt quite call it my favorite but its up there, out of the 15 forms i currently know id say i like gwang gae then best, thats one of the 1st dan forms in my school and it really just flows nicely while showing the more advanced foot movements required at black belt level forms.

19. Chazz

flyingblackbelt - that one is nice. The movements are not anything like any of the other forms we do. It isnt as choppy and it just flows. It was a nice change.

20. Holgate

Holgate New Member

I like my current Tul, Dan Gunn, not sure why, just enjoy doing it more than Chon Ji and Sajro Jirugi

Anyway grading tonight, see how good I really am then!