ITF Approved Instructor

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by stuckTKD, Aug 24, 2011.

1. stuckTKD

stuckTKD Valued Member

Hi All, I am new here so be gentle.
    Can someone tell me what is required and what you have to do to get an approved ITF Instructor certificate, it seems there are some people who just get it for doing nothing really.

2. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I know you have to do an instructors course! Usually a weekend long, plus you need an enhanced disclosure to make sure your not a weirdo or worse!

Don't think you need anything else!! Though talent and a desire to teach and some talent does help!!

3. lma

lma Valued Member

I'm sure you would have to join a reputable club that is part of the ITF. They should be able to put you through it. Not sure of cost involved and if your are planning on teaching with children or vulnerable adults I am sure it the law now that you need and Enhanced disclosure.

4. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

You'd also have to be a minimum 1st degree black belt.

5. lma

lma Valued Member

Lol I know of a couple of organisations that let you at brown belt ........

6. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

The exact requirements to be a certified International Instructor is as follows:
    1) One must be a minimum IV Dan (4th degree) BB, with an official ITF IV Dan BB certificate
    2) One must successfully complete an official ITF International Instructor Course
    3) The applicant must then take a copy, or other proof of both their IV Dan ITF BB cert & the certificate given for successfully competing the ITF IIC, called a Training Certificate, (Many confuse with piece of paper given to all attendees at an IIC with a II cert), then pay the required additional fee to get a serial numbered official International Instructor Certificate.

Then & only then, can a person issue gup/grade certs in their own name, apply for & sign BB applications as the examiner. An II can test up to half their rank, with the limit of 3rd Dan by a 6th Degree or above.

When 1st conducted in Seoul Korea the IICs were 3 months long & they included English. These courses were required for the Korean instructor to get dispatched abroad. After the ITF relocated to Toronto Canada, the length of the courses were cut back. They were at a time 2 weeks long, then 1 week, with them now occurring over a short weekend. They also focus IMHO on the Tuls too much, in essence making them a step by step patterns workshop!

One of the few saving graces is that to test for 4th Dan, the decision on paper is taken away from the instructor, as all 4th Dans are supposed to go through the ITF Promotion committee. This, combined with the fact the the ITF is very standardized, still helps maintain some level of credibility, as poor students really stick out in an official ITF tournament, seminar or event.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  7. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

See my post, but the background check is not an ITF requirement, but probably a local or national govt type of mandate, that would vary by location

8. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

No one MUST be a 4th Degree with an official ITF BB cert

A certified International Instructor can appoint as assistant instructors, from the ranks of 1st-3rd Dan BBs. They then have limits on what gup/grade levels then can teach up to. A 1st-3rd Dan BB can also become an assistant instructor, called Boo Sa Bum Nim, by successfully completing a national or domestic instructors course

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  9. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Only the ITF can issue an official ITF II cert. You must be 4th Dan & take an official IIC

10. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Hey tkdstudent, I did know about 4th dan for grading etc. I just meant to teach in general. But very informative post, thank you for the info :)

11. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

No offence but ITF groups are willing to circumvent their 'rules' if it makes them ££££

There are instructor round my way (and I mean the UK), ITF affiliated, that have been teaching for years and they are under 4th degree or have only recently gained it!

No biggie.. as other orgs do the same.. but don't claim 'high and mighty' when they are willing to break their own rules for a buck!

Its not about the ch'ing cha ch'ing ch'ing after all.. or is it!!

Stuart

ps. Some ITF clubs claim that they are 'overseen' by higher ranks.. but in reality its a complete falicy!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'm not sure why you insist on a ITF certificate. I'm not sure there are many inexperienced (or experienced in some cases) students who really care whether you have an 'official' ITF certificate or not. I know some really outstanding instructors who aren't a part of the ITF or the WTF because of the huge amount of politics that's played in those organizations. You pay enough money you get your certificate....

13. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

can I ask someone; if your a 1st deg BB and you can only teach to a certain level, what happens when you have a student who's black tag? do they have to be accessed by your chief instructor before they're allowed to grade? Or are they simply not allowed to?

14. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

"Only the International Instructor is authorized to teach & test students both overseas & at home. He can also issued the grade certificate in his name. However, degree certificates must be requested from the ITF.
    An International Instructor can delegate the authority to his assistants to teach. These assistants however do not have the power to test.
    As a rule:
    A) 1st degree can teach up to 5th grade
    B) 2nd degree can teach up to 3rd grade
    C) 3rd degree can teach up to 1st grade"

Source for this is the 15 volume Encyclopedia of TKD. There is a reason for this.

Now before anyone goes & challenges this or gives examples of how they saw it not implemented, I don't care!
    This is an ideal, within a wider & most comprehensive system of a KMA of SD that has been more thoroughly documented & standardized on a global scale that is unmatched in the history of the world.
    So IMHO, I try my best to dig deep into these resources, examine, analyze & understand how they fit WITHIN THAT SYSTEM. As it is then, again IMHO, that one can best utilize the system & maximize the benefits.
    To me TKD is not a buffet, where you come up & take what you want. You have to take it ALL! Now you can take more of some items in the buffet than others, but you have to take all, even the veggies & go light on the sweets.
    ;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  15. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

See my reply above.
    Also, forcing compliance to some rules also makes the orgs money.
    Please don't mistake what member clubs do, in violation of ITF rules or Gen. Choi's teachings, as they are after all, separate entities, often businesses, & rules by parent orgs often cost them & constrict their business opportunities.

16. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

To me, it is not a piece of paper that makes the teacher, but their ability to learn knowledge, have the desire to share that knowledge, along with the means to effectively communicate that to others, in a way that they will hear it, understand it & retain it.
    But people do look for a paper that will add legitimacy, as that is often what is required in so many fields & professions.
    So you want to learn to kick & punch. You come to my dojo. I tell you that I am a big shot, a member of ABC MAs Kick & Punch Association. I show you may fancy big shot BB certificate, along with a very official looking authorized, certified, approved, authentic instructor qualification license. You are so impressed & hand over much of your hard earned money. Meanwhile I am not worth the price of the paper itself. But maybe you don't care, as you just want a fancy piece of paper as well! ;)

17. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Opps.. too late lol :)

I wasnt actually refering to individual clubs, but ITF orgs! Just to be sure I went and had a look at the clubs list from one of the biggist ITF orgs in the UK, headed by a very senior ITF Master... and there are plenty of 2nd & 3rd dans listed as club instructors!

I understand what your saying: that these are the criteria laid down by General Choi and part of the 'ITF' rules... but whats the point of them if the ITF's don't follow what they prefess to do or even their own rules if they are 'written down'.... this in turn makes all the talk about ITF certification worthless to a point, as it devalues what it (and they say/feel) is of value!

Stuart

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  18. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

You are correct, but as I also try to do is always follow the rules, regardless of what others do, this insures that what we do is rarely ever compromised! I suggest that others always strive to at least try to do the right thing whenever they can. Then when confronted by what others do, whether it is within or outside of their respective org's, they can use that as an example of what NOT TO DO & to highlight the fact that they do not do that, which may enhance the individual or schools reputation. JMHO