ITA (International Taekwondo Alliance)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ClumsyFoot, Nov 12, 2003.

1. echolstkd

echolstkd New Member

i'm from Eastaboga, Alabama. i came up through the ITA ranks with SM Ron Allman in Anniston, AL.
    i was just wondering how things are going for those of you who have left the ITA

2. Captain-Kick

Captain-Kick Valued Member

Hi echolstkd

Things are going great, its nice not to have the restrictions the ITA placed on everyone not to mention or the political stuff that came with it. i had the opportunity to train with Mr Allman a few times, very tough guy. Are you still with the ITA? How are things?

3. echolstkd

echolstkd New Member

thing are good, thanks. how about for y'all?

am i still with the ITA ?.......now there's a good question....

4. Captain-Kick

Indeed, it is a great question.

If you dont mind me asking, whats your opinion on all the changes that keep occuring, and what do you think of the whole Ho-Am thing going on.

5. echolstkd

echolstkd New Member

I like all the changes. I think the "Ho-Am" stuff is sooooo good. sorry, i can't keep a stright face even typing that.
    no, really i hated all the rapidfire changes going on with them. So much that i have become involved with TA ( Taekwondo America) .
    Several of the people i know hate it about as much as i did, but they are gonna ride it out for now.

6. TKDTraditional

TKDTraditional Valued Member

This explains a few things.
    I recently visited an ITA school. I was expecting more of the original ITF content. I watched a Blue perform Hwa-Rang whereas I expected him to be doing Choong-Gun. I wondered why they had both Brown and Red belts. It's all clearer now.
    Are there only 6 ranks before Black belt? The Chang Han forms have 9 patterns before Black. What happened to the other 3?
    I don't see Po-Eun listed; Ul-Ji is before Choong-Jang, which is like General Choi's most original scheme.

One thing I like about the class was that everyone was doing techniques the same so I'd judge they were closely following what their instructor taught. His style of teaching was very formalized--probably to produce consistent teaching results--but I sense that few students knew the application of most techniques. Some of the blocks began with what I'd call a "hug me" position. Instead of the arms being chambered to defend against an attack it looked more like a self hug as if to say "I'm in my happy place. Your attack can't harm me!"

7. echolstkd

echolstkd New Member

well, the new Ho-Am forms are variations of the original forms. close enough that you might reconize them but wonder why they are being done strangely

8. Captain-Kick

That is probobly a good move contacting the TA, I spoke with Mr Nelson about a year ago about all the problems regarding the ITA. Over here in England i'm sure we are not getting the full picture of what is actually going on out there. I think ITA has just gone too commercial and watered it down to and all time low.

What rank are you if you dont mind me asking?

9. echolstkd

echolstkd New Member

in the ITA i am/was a 3rd degree level 4 certified instructor. It's kinda their version of Sr. 3rd. In TA i am Sr. 3rd degree Sr. certified instructor. In the NPTA I am a 3rd degree cheif instructor.........and all that still boils down to Sr. 3rd....lol

and what about y'all?

10. Captain-Kick

well Im no longer with the ITA but I earned my 5th degree in 2005. I believe thay have a Senior 5th Now??? How funny and how pathetic!!!!!!!

11. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

keeps you grading, keeps you spending ;) :p

12. echolstkd

echolstkd New Member

yes, they have 4th and Sr. 4th, 5th and Sr. 5th. right before i left i had heard talk of them going four levels of 4th degree. (4th level 1, level2 , ect.)........

13. TKDTraditional

Sounds like a McDojo scheme (read ATA). Kids gets little rewards for the slightest of accomplishments. Learn your next pattern, you get a piece of yellow tape on your belt. Perfect attendance for a month gets another piece/another color of tape. Great attitude...another piece of tape.

You'd think Black Belts would be above that kind of motivation.

In my school, we line up by rank according to the highest pattern you've been taught. Each Black Belt rank learns 3 patterns--but a year apart. 2nd dans who know Choong-Jang line up ahead of those who know only Eui-Am. So being taught (by permission) a new pattern is like a mini-promotion. But you don't have to pay any fees. And no pieces of tape!

14. Incredible Bulk

ITA does the tape thing even for adults...

apparently unless you have all 4-5 bit sof tape on your belt you cannot grade at the next testing... never what happens though lol

15. TKDTraditional

Thanks! Does that apply to Black Belts too? :)

I believe I saw in an ATA school that colored paperclips are also given as rewards for achievement. Ooooooh!

16. tort

tort Valued Member

My school does the tape thing too for the colored belt. Basically you get stripes for knowing your form, one steps, hapkido defenses. It is a good motivational tool for kids; the adults don't really care if they have them or not. It's mainly used for the instructor to see that the kids are ready for advancement.

There is an ATA school in town and I hear that they give out stuff for grades, community service, and so on. Personally I think it's over kill. If you think that you or your child needs all these little merrit badges join the Boy/Girl Scouts.

17. Incredible Bulk

They stop the pratronising tape at red belt thankfully

18. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

I absoultly miss training in TKD my master has fallen out of love for the art. I have no where to go *sniff*.

Sorry if topic, I get emotional. As for every single different TKD affiliation it confusess me some what, I have no idea who does what anymore I just want to learn TKD.

Tans

19. echolstkd

echolstkd New Member

20. Captain-Kick

Emotional!!!!