ITA (International Taekwondo Alliance)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ClumsyFoot, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

Ah!!!! The few weeks after testing...

I hated this time. Since I was a senior student it was expected of me to help teach lower ranks their forms. Unfortunately, no one helped me with mine. Had to use the DVD for my last four forums. I wanted to be an instructor but this turned me off to it. It wasn't just one class a week - it was every class every day.

2. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Not for us, if we have a new form, we are exempted from helping lower ranks with theirs. You might want to speak to your cheif instructor about that.

TKDshane

3. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

I did. Wanted me to come for a "private lesson". 35 dollars a pop! And after all the classes I taught - and didn't get paid for. After all the students I got to join - and didn't get paid for. All the tournaments I judged - and didn't get paid for.

He talked about us all being family, but he only included certain people in the family. Even though I was the second highest ranked instructor there I was never really part of the family.

4. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Not every school has proper leadership. I would have put on the black stripe on the bottom of my top and remained a student. Our school owners are strict, but will work with you if you have issues.

5. TKD Greenaway

TKD Greenaway New Member

Zen TKD Warrior

Its unfortunate, from the things you've mentioned it seems like you had a right money grabing instructor.

If one of my higher black belts teaches a form I always make time for them. Thats how it should be.

I would be interested to know who this instuctor was so i can stay clear of him in the future.

6. TKDHowie

TKDHowie New Member

Also, I, too, am an ITA member. So, does anyone have any ideas you think that we all should discuss on this organization!?

7. TKD Greenaway

TKD Greenaway New Member

Hi TKD Howie

I have loads of things I'd like to discuss

Its caused a few arguments in the past though.

Is there anything you'd like to discuss.

8. Yoo Shin

Yoo Shin New Member

I don't mind teaching forms to students at all in fact I look forward to teaching forms at the begaining of a cycle. If needed, I'll find time to learn my own form from another fellow instructor and/or higher rank. What does bother me is when a student, especially an adult, asks me how to do a part of a form when it's the week of testing or testing day itself.

9. Edward64

Edward64 New Member

I trained under Warren Davis in Greensboro, NC when it was still under the USTA banner in the early 90's. I moved to Altanta and did not continue. I've only recently started back up under 'American Karate' (Its closer to TKD and I didn't seem to fit in the regular Karate forum).

Can anyone give me some history as to why and when the change was made to ITA?

From the little I know, it seems that Mr. Davis is no longer USTA or ITA and has moved on.

10. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Perception became reality...

Dear All,

Here in the southern USA there are several ITA Dojangs...I post this in responce to a previous post!

As I am often in Montgomery, AL. I have taken an interest in their martial institutes and a couple of Dojo Daycare Centers...hate to say this is my definite empression of the ITA school there.

Not only is dodge ball a regular excersice in the older childrens classes, but I have recently been informed of an assistant instructor who is prepping for his 3rd Dan testing. He is my problem with the situation. He is only 17 years old, has only been studying for FOUR YEARS, and failed his 1st degree testing on his initial attempt! ....................................................Greased Lightening!

That was enough to make me more than question this "Academy"...not that the frequent dodge ball didnt throw up a few red flags.

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  11. Azeotrope

Azeotrope Valued Member

At my dojang, the kids spend a portion of the classtime on fun activities the week following testing. They don't do this at any other time.

12. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

As much as I dislike 'fun activities' ( - what blasphemy is this! Surely TKD is all the fun we need!!!:D) for adults, I can see why an instructor might orginise some fun stuff with a group of kids. After all, since many kids are more interested in having fun rather than becoming a proper martial artist it makes sense to maintain their interest until they do genuinely want to train properly. When they are ready put them into a 'serious' adults class but doing so before time might just put them off. If a kid never wants to leave the kids class and move into the adults class then they should leave the martial arts world and take up dodgeball in a dodgeball club.

Also dodgeball may be good to enhance reactions etc... It could also be good as a warmup - it just should not become the main reason why the kids are there.

As long as activities were halted by the time the kid was a teenager I haven't got a problem with dodgeball being played as long as the kids are recieving some TKD instruction as well.

Just my humble opinion,
    Alexander

13. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

...Dodgeball....

Dear Sir(s),

I can see your point to a certain extent...

I am interested to know at what point this becomes too much. Dodgeball 20 minutes of a 55 minute class. Two weeks off after gradings. 3rd Dan in just four years... After a little math it starts to sound like promotions keep interest while the instructor gets paid for doing as little as possible!

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

14. Azeotrope

Azeotrope Valued Member

That sounds like too much. Fortunately the organization in question doesn't actually do this. :bang:

15. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

I joined the ITA a couple of years ago after being away from MA training for 10 yrs or so. This time with a spouse and a few kids in tow.

My experience has been similar to Azeo. First week after testing is more of a "catch your breath" period, and less formal. Otherwise classes focus on martial arts, not "games". Games are sometimes used as a 5 - 10 minute period after the formal workout for the younger kids toward the end of class. The games have always involved an activity that emphasizes body control, quick reaction to a stimulus, etc. Always related to MA skills, akin to strength or flexibility activities that adults might have built into a class, and in similar proportion of time/emphasis. Fortunately, I've never seen the games presented as a focus of training.

I was looking at the curriculum with a skeptical eye to see if I detected a game emphasis like Spook mentions. Am glad to say I have not seen it at the two ITA schools that we've trained with.

Spook, I think you're the one I spoke with here and there about this kind of thing. If not, please forgive. Didn't you used to train with ITA before? I wonder if the things that made you unhappy back then were isolated to a school or region? Could things have improved since the time that you changed?

Thanks for the skepticism, Spook. It's a topic worthy of discussion.

16. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

The organization in question...

Dear Guys,

I am speaking of the International Taekwon-Do Alliance...is that not the organization in question?

We have spoken regarding this organization previously...Furthermore, I have not trained at an ITA Dojang. I have a large issue with the way one individual (who happens to be a "Master") represents the "crap" he sells! Being that he is a "Master" designated by the ITA, I am forced to question the entire organization. Not only did they give him this title, but they allow him to represent them in this way.

If you are interested in details contact me via private message...

You have spawned a thought though...I will personal confront him with questions regarding his actions. Secondary, I will file a complaint directly to the highest council of the ITA. Third, I will get more grey hair based on the lack of action against such representation (or misrepresentation).

...URGGGGGGGGGGG!

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

17. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

If that's going on then I fully agree with you. Interestingly it looks like I'll be joining the ITA next year. I'll probably be in a better position to comment then - after I've seen what a Second Degree instructor can do against me!

If it were me instructing a group of kids then I'd say dodgeball is halted totally at the age of ten - if the kid isn't interested by then I don't think they ever will be so it makes sense to let them go. As to the time allocation I'd say give ten to fifteen minutes maximum to fun activities. After that its back to martial art.

Catch you later,
    Alexander

EDIT: One additional point. It states on the ITA webpage that the ITA is not a franchise or a governing body. Although each ITA school follows a set curriculum it probably differs from teacher to teacher with regards to training intensity and skill level due to the degree of freedom that it gives its member schools. That is, as long as the schools actually recieve this degree of freedom - if they do not, then, again, you are probably correct.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  18. tkdjas

tkdjas New Member

Ita

Anyone familiar with the ITA (International Tae Kwon Do Alliance)?I always here about the WTF, ITF and ATA but was curious about this organization. Any info would be appreciated.

19. tkdbb3

tkdbb3 Valued Member

THe ITA was formed from the Old USTA (United States Taekwondo Alliance) back in 2000, before that the GM's where ATA students in Nebraska back in the early 70's today the ITA is mailnly a southern based org. Most of the schools based in AL, GA,FL but have severel schools out west and in the UK. The forms are Modified Chang Hun forms.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  20. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

its mickey mouse....

spent a year with them

You grade every 2 months so its possible to obtain your black belt in 1.5 years, testing fee's are a £45 a pop, black belt £55, as long as you know your form and make an attempt at sparring then you will pass... £££££

I spent time in the dojang under the guy who brought it over from the US. He is a great teacher and his pupils have spread out to form their own clubs... but some of his students were bad eggs and because of them, quit the ITA altogether.

sparring gear can only be bought through the ITA and its cheap crap, it lasts no longer than 6 months and the price has a mark up on it. If you buy your own sparring gear or even the same brand as the clubs you will not be allowed to use it due to 'insurance reasons'...

For kids its great, for adults wanting to learn the art in any serious way then forget it.
    I often stood in a class surrounded by black belts who couldnt even do a spin hook kick. Many of the trainee students were overweight and couldnt even do a front kick properly let alone spar, yet they were 3rd degrees.

Save your money, go find a different club...