ITA (International Taekwondo Alliance)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ClumsyFoot, Nov 12, 2003.

1. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

ITA (International TKD Alliance)

Greetings, all.

Newbie to MAP and all this posting stuff...

I previously trained for approx 8 years (TKD). With a ten-year break... marriage and kids and all... I've recently begun training again, this time with spouse and my older two kiddies.

The organization that I've recently joined is ITA (International Tae Kwon Do Alliance). The level of instruction is superb (much better than my earlier years), standards aooear to be high, and the organization's curriculum appears to be very well organized and formally includes advanced "crossover" techniques at black belt levels.

I hadn't heard of this organization before, but have been very pleased in the last few months. What feedback/perceptions/etc. can anyone else give me on this org?

BTW, thanks to KickChick and others for doing a great job moderating the MAP conversations... I've observed MAP posts here and there for some time... finally got around to registering.

Thanks.
    ClumsyFoot

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to MAP ClumsyFoot!

I am sure there are others here from the ITA (<--click here to view their web site)

In fact take a look at the latest listing of TKD MAP members here!
    TKD Check In ... I know off hand that TKDShane is ITA.

Glad to see you back in training... the same happened to me a few years back.

Looking forward to your contributions to MAP and for giving us all a chance to help you out whenever we can... thanks for finally joining!

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Different ITA

Nice to "meet" you, Clumsyfoot. There are a few other ITA's out there so I'm glad you specified which one!

I am a member of the ITA - Independent Taekwondo Association, under the umbrella of the International Combat Hapkido Federation and GM Pellegrini. You can check this out at www.ichf.com/Ita/ITA.htm

Looking forward to more of your posts!

4. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Yes, KC is correct. I am also a member of the International TKD Alliance. In fact my Master is Mr. Art Monroe, one of the 3 founders of the ITA.

Glad to see a fellow ITA member here.

Welcome to MAP!

TKDshane

5. ClumsyFoot

Greetings, KC, Thomas and TKDshane. Thanks for the welcome!

Thomas, have read about GM Pellegrini quite a bit over the years. Very interesting info; looking forward to viewing the site you mention and finding out more about your org.

TKDshane, good to meet another ITA (alliance) member, esp that you study directly under Mr. Monroe. My instructor, Mr. Wiley Robinson, who was also fortunate enough to train under a founder: GM Bert Kollars. As I mention, the instruction and example has been superb. If this is typical of ITA overall, then I've definitely made the right choice of schools.

I used to do the tae-geuk poomse forms, so am re-learning and un-learning quite a bit these days. If you plan to attend the Chattanooga tournament next year, we may have a chance to chat in person.

-cf

6. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Did you make it down to the New Orleans Tourny last month? It was a gr8 event! Mr. Bert Collars got his 8th Dan. All three Sr. Masters put on one heck of a Demo. The Picture is in this months newsletter. Awesome display!

I doubt that I'll make the Chattanooga Tourny, but will look you up if I do. If you ever make it down to New Orleans, drop me a line.

TKDshane Ÿ

7. ClumsyFoot

No, didn't make it... would've loved to see the Sr. Msr. demo! Did see the newsletter pic. My instructor will be testing for 5th (6th?) Dan in Chatt. Plan to attend. First ITA tourney, look forward to comparing to my previous experience. What's you ma backgrnd?

8. SoonerJRJ

SoonerJRJ New Member

I would concur that the teaching here in Katy is fantastic! My wife was a little bit concerned at the start when we registered my son (George). George has done great, and is looking forward to the Nationals meet in Baton Rouge next month.

We like them so much, my 4 year old (Teddy) joined the Cubs program today. Suffice to say, he is not going to Baton Rouge with us. :D It's a special trip just for Mom/Dad and George.

9. Taeho

Taeho New Member

The Nationals are around the corner! This time in Houston, TX.

I'll be there. Mr. Monroe is getting his 8th Dan. I've seen his demo practiced in class. it promises to be spectacular.

Mark your Calendars! September 17-19 - Houston Reliant Stadium!

I hope to see a few MAP'ers there...heheh

TKDshane Ÿ

10. robbjedi

robbjedi New Member

Im in ITA wish I could have been in houston
    My master is Sr Master Terry Newton he just got his 7th dan in march and I know he was at the tournament some of you might have seen him there that got to go

11. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

ITA Guys, HELP!

Dear All,

I have been looking for an Email address for Mr. Chris Jackson (TKD PLUS, Montgomery, AL)...

Can anyone help?

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I haven't an email address for you but check you private messages please.

13. Yoo Shin

Yoo Shin New Member

Wow, it's fellow ITA people! Awesome. I'm a D1 Trainee Instructor from Sugarland Texas with Mr. Ellis.

14. ClumsyFoot

Welcome, Yoo Shin!

15. Yoo Shin

Yoo Shin New Member

The ITA (Alliance) is a solid organization carrying the highest of standards in all of their Academys throughout the years. I've had the unique experience of "going through" the system twice, once back in 1990 when I was 16 studying under Mr. Cross in Huntsille Al (then called USTA) and now with Mr. Ellis in Sugarland Tx. I was amazed at how they've kept up the level of energy that the USTA had 14 years ago. If you've been to an ITA tournement you know what I'm talking about when I say "energy".

16. fallenspirit

fallenspirit New Member

It's cool to finally get some ITA love here on MAP. Every where else I go its WTF or ITF. I train under 4th Degree Mr. Brad Haynes out of clarksville, indiana. I myself am a Senior Purple Belt. Is anyone here going to be at the tournament in Lexington, Kentucky?

17. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Welcome to the "fold" FS! Wish I could make that tourny, but that's wayyyyyy to far a drive for me ;)

TKDshane

18. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

ITA Folks...

Dear All,

Could anyone hear assist me with a question I have regarding the ITA curriculum?

What determines which of the Chong Han patterns are used and which are passed over?

I ask this question because I was currently on an ITA website and saw that several of the Chang Hon patterns are not utilized in your training.

Just been pondering over this question and thought maybe one of you guys could add some light to the subject.

TAEKWON!
    Spookey

19. TKD Greenaway

TKD Greenaway New Member

Hello ITA members,

Nice to see lots more ITA on here.

My Instructor is Master B Mitchlmore and his instuctor is GM B Kollars.

The last post about the Hyungs. I asked this question to GM C Kollars a long time ago.

When I first started with the ITA we did a total of 18 Patterns.

When I was a 2nd Degree the ITA droped the following from the cirriculum

Yul Gok
    Joong Gun
    Toi Gye
    Poe Eun
    Choong Jang

The main reason for doing this was to help and improve the standard of forms focusing on less forms ment the student could spend more time on the other forms and get them as perfect as possible.

At first i didnt like the change but now as a run my own school I can see the benifits it has in the club.

I remember My Instuctor after a grading trying to teach 5 or 6 new forms. An immposible task, so the lower ranks would have to teach us our new form.

Because they wern't instructors they didnt do a great job and often missed moves out or fogot them.

It seemed like we were spending every class do forms.

Now there are less forms to learn students can focus more on other aspects of training like target training sparring stretching and as a result all these areas improved.

The ITA does say these forms can be learnt once Black belt is achieved its not part of the cirriculum getting to black belt though.

Id like to here peoples thoughts on this subject

S Greenaway

4th degree BB

20. TKD Greenaway

TKD Greenaway New Member

Im sorry i didnt answer one of the qustions

The ones that were passed over were the longest forms because they took so long to teach.

Since they droped then Choog Jang has been reintroduced.