it finally happened

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by hux, Jul 8, 2007.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

My trainer's TKD org(and mine by extension) is(long story short) asking him to either end his BJJ/MMA training programs or leave the org. I guess they are uncomfortable with the image of fight training.

your thoughts? I am pretty disheartened by it, I guess I thought there's no reason both can't exist at the same school, or in the same org. Seems silly.

:rolleyes:

2. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I think that is a short-sighted decision.

3. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

Are the training session mixed TKD and MMA/BJJ or are they taught separately? I find that quite a difference.. If both are teached apart from eachother, there's no problem I think.

4. Desumacchi

Desumacchi New Member

If your school is clear about which martial art is which and the students live up to the standard which the organization requires then I think they should mind their own business.

Of course, I will not be surprised if they are ****ed off just by having different martial arts under the same roof, it's a TKD organization we're talking about after all. They like their scheming.

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Any organisation that is so narrow sighted they are not up for change or open to new concepts isn't one I'd want to be part of.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Not knowing the whole story, it's hard to say. Is the BJJ/MMa training cutting into TKD training times or student rosters? Or, is it a matter of the TKD org missing the extra revenue? Or, is it that your instructor's instructor want him/her to focus on the one art?

Regardless, I personally like having a more open relationship and the open options to cross train, ask questions and so on. If our organization asked us to stop cross training or leave, I know what we'd do - say "thank you" and leave. There are other organizations out there that can provide rank certification, resources, and such while offering independence.

In our case, we started bring some Combat Hapkido in to bolster the self defence side of what our TKD system taught. Long story short we were presented with a similar choice of staying and folllowing what they say or finding a new org... so we went to the Independent Taekwondo Association (part of the ICHF) and have been happy since.