Isometric split progression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Achilles NZ,

You will find it easier to go into the split from cold in the months that follow you hitting the floor. I'd say the average is 1-2 months from achieving a full split.

2. Achilles NZ

Achilles NZ Valued Member

Wow, glad i asked, interesting and good to know.

One question for you.

whats your view on hydration and its affect on flexibility.

For example i drink at the very least 2 liters a day.

If i was to have a bad day and not come close to optimum hydration, and in effect be in a state of dehydration, do you think it would make a noticeable difference to performance of the splits?

3. LoSt eGo

LoSt eGo Undervalued Member

1. I read the whole first thread and couldn't figure out the following questions and a response would be much appreciated.
    2. Im sorry for being so oblivious to your terminology what does ROM stand for? Also, what do you mean by tensions (in work outs)? Is holding it while your at your deepest a tension? Or is it the flexing of your muscles?

4. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

I'm on and can answer these ones.

ROM = Range of Motion, in this case of the joints
    Tensions refer to contracting the muscles involved, in isometrics this means pretty much as hard as you can, not just enough to keep you in the spot but actively squeezing as hard as you can. Some people are wary of this 100% contraction, build up to it if you are new to isometrics.

5. LoSt eGo

LoSt eGo Undervalued Member

so do you flex and unflex repeatedly for the set amount of time or do you just contract and hold it for the time mentioned in the op?

6. proteinnerd

Just contact and hold for the set amount of time, don't relax, 1 long contraction....it's pretty challenging

7. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

I am doing as Van Zandt said, but I skiped some level. Now I am at 2.45, and today I tried 3 times 3 minutes no problem. My left leg is in split on floor , but my knee is not straight its slightly bendt, but hip and knee and leg are on floor, my right foot is like 10cm above the ground. How to solve this problem. And I can do better spining kick with left leg, but better roundhouse with right, and I can kick higher with left, so my hips are not streeched equal. Any solutions and all the best :p

8. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

Hey. I've tried levels 1 and 2 and they were easy for me. (SHOCK) So I was wondering if I am supposed to be contracting all my leg muscles against eachother as in a tension kata (which is what I did), or should I be contracting those stiff groin muscles only.
    (You are probably wondering what those are and will continue wondering because only normal people have them, and normal people will not let you feel around in there unless you get a job at the airport.)
    Also can you stand up from full splits like that guy on City Hunter? If so, I bow to you and say "SIFUWA"

9. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Hi Dan, i'm currently on Level 11 and progress seems to be good. My legs are definitely stronger and my kicks are improving. I've changed to doing both front and side at the same session, as i was experiencing some hip joint pain the other way. I have a question- the length of my stretches are kind of stuck/plateaued, my groin is still 5 or 6 inches off the floor at front stretch, more like 12 at side stretch. I'm happy to keep going but just wondered if this levelling off was fairly normal? Also, would it be good for me to increase protein intake to help the muscles recover?
    Diolch'ti (thanks).

10. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

A member of the Gymnastic Bodies forum posted this article about recovery that should help you a lot: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4870

Using a foam roller either sometime before the workout or 3-4 hours after the workout will also help. Early in the morning seems to be convenient for a lot of people.

11. proteinnerd

I'm kinda in the same boat, I'm going to do both front and side in the same session and reduce my days to 2 or 3 per week, trying to do more has eventually aggravated an existing hip injury so I'm in the process of taking a week (maybe 2 off).

The few sessions just prior I had also seemed to hit a bit of a plateau.

I know that Dan based this program off of Kurz material in stretching scientifically. In it, Kurz says when you hit a plateau, you should focus on dynamic strength training, tensing longer or tensing harder (or both).

I'm finding the most difficult part is holding the contractions steady for such a long period of time. I'm toying with the idea of shifting the progressions from time focus to weight focus. What I mean is introduce additional weight earlier in the program than the current after 3 minute contractions. Instead, add it in at 30 second or 1 minute contractions. I'm just more of a "additional weight resistance" leads to better strength gains type of guy.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I have also found that if I do the isometrics after a general leg strengthening workout (Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Curls, Adductor pulldowns) my legs are so fatigued I can hardly do 30 second contractions without my legs shaking like crazy! No way can I do the 1.30 that I do on other days at this point of the program. So not sure if I should just not do them after this type of workout...

12. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Patrick Smith
    Sorry, using a foam roller ??
    Your post was otherwise very useful. Cheers.

13. Patrick Smith

14. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Emergency situation here! I am now on level 12 of Dan's progression and i'm getting some real pain! Back, inside of right thigh feels hot and tight, making stretching with right leg forward do-able but sore, and definitely harder to get to previous length. Is this an injury? What should i do? Advice please! I dont want to lose the gains i've made, especially in strength, but i don't want to do permanent damage either.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Just a sign you might not be ready to go to the next stage just yet. Stick with the previous level for a couple more weeks to be safe.

16. gasolino

gasolino Valued Member

17. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Cheers for prompt reply Dan, so if i go back to previous level, after a few days rest maybe? Would i be okay doing stuff like Bill Wallace's slow/static kicks in the meantime, or total r&r?
    Thanks again.

18. Patrick Smith

Yes, but my advice is to do your foam rolling either before your workout or 3-4 hours before.

19. Patrick Smith

Don't forget to do things like lunges, squats, and deadlifts as well as the isometrics! They are really important.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Take a couple of days off, at least. I'd advise active rest in the form of walking or a light game of basketball - some easy, fun activity. Pick up on Bill Wallace's kicking routine when you get back into the isometrics.

This advice should be burned into the memory of every athlete. :cool: