Isometric split progression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

also i have a question vz. when you say we should use a chair, do we use it to keep our weight off the muscles we are stretching when we are holding the stretch for 30secs <before tensing> or do we keep constant tension on them? Just a little bit less than the big tension at the end of the set? thanks.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

3 reps in each set, so 5 sets = a total of 15 times.

Just to clarify, one set consists of the following:

• Increase the stretch.
    • Hold it for 30 seconds.

In each set you do that three times; however, on the last rep you tense for 30 seconds to 3 minutes [depending on which level you're at] instead of just holding it. Note that these figures are just a guide; you can do more reps in each set if you wish, but no more than five sets in your workout.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Supporting your weight with a chair during the holding phase of each rep is acceptable (but not during the tensing phase - you want all your weight on those suckers! :) ).

4. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

Van zandt. My quadriceps are f... sore, my adductors are fine. They really hurt me like hell quadricipes I think because of yesterday's workout. I finished today's workout and also did before side split iso 5x 1.15 without problem. and what to do after iso to prevent soreness. Another issue. When at max position should I tense my muscles or just leave it as it is and should I hold my chair all the time or leave it when at max tension(most painful). Today I was making sounds like, someine is f... me!! true story. enjoy ppl

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you're continually very sore after each application of isometrics, you're working at a level you're not yet ready for. Reduce the length of your contractions (but not the intensity). Things you can do to improve recovery include not overloading yourself with your other workouts, eating right and getting plenty of sleep. At your max position you should tense the target muscles maximally without holding the chair.

6. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

thx van Zandt. I think isometrics are not tht problem as I have many workouts and also cycling and my legs are quite strong. Problem is tht I have so so many workouts. This week was like tht. Sunday 1.5 middle intesity cyclin on road cycle, after isometrics 5x1min.
    Monday 2.5 hrs of taekwondo middle intesity. Tuesday 1h atletics+ easy cycling with 5times 40 sec sprints, than taekwondo 1 hour quite intesive, I came home isometrics 5x1.15, wednsday in morning cycling 1.5h with few easy sprints, than in afternoon, 2hrs intesive taekwondo with 20min rest in between. Today in morning all sore quadriceps the most, went lil bit easyslow cycling, than had 1 hour sparring at taekwondo, and when I came home also I did isometrics 5x1.15. Now I feel sore, rest and lie in my bed, putting ice as tmrw I will have to go with cycle to my university and in evening I have taekwondo. Saturday I will take off day. I was otherwise supposed to do also 2 more athletics training but I really couldn't. all the best
    P.S My 15 yr old friend wanna do splits what he shld do is he too young for isometrics. enjoy

7. JamieW

JamieW Valued Member

Mate i hate to come across so dumb..

so it goes like this . . . 1 set i do, strech far as i can hold for 30 seconds, repeat this again. then strech as far as possible but this time tensing for 30 seconds?

sorry im confused lol

8. Exether

Exether Valued Member

Ok so If I start doing this workout of isometrics I will not have to do ANY other stretches for Tae Kwon Do? Right Now I do dynamics 1 time a day for about the past year and I JUST reached a front split (chinese style split using hammies) but am still about 4 inches away from the ground for a straddle. I have read Kurz's book like 5 times and realize that I should be doing Isometric stretching but he also says to keep doing Dynamic stretching.

I know you do martial arts and have been doing this stretching so I am just wondering if once I start doing the Isometric stretching if I should stop all other stretching ( besides upper body of course) in my workout? Thanks much and everything you posted and have written makes logical sense so that is why I am going to start my iso stretching tomorrow after TKD.

EDIT: Also when doing Isometric for front splits should I do the tensions when my left leg are forward AND a separate one for when my right leg is forward or does it not matter for which leg is forward? Thanks much and keep up all the great work!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  9. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Couple of more questions (i totally get the sets thing now, thanks)
    I'm starting at the beginning, doing front stretches, left and right on day 1, then side stretch day 2, fronts day 3 etc. No problems so far, but i'd rather start easy and increase, i'm not in a big hurry. Is this alternate thing a good idea, or will my legs be too 'rested' between stretches- my plan is to do both each day soon. I presume this means the whole process will take longer?

10. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

I have a question vanzant. Am I to do the side split with my feet pointing down or up to the ceiling? and is it safe for me to do the isometrics for side split with a torn hamstring? Thanks.

11. EtherGK

EtherGK New Member

Nice, I'll be spending my time with this. But Since you're basically showing us how to get the splits, what else is the book gonna be filled with?

12. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

I think you are meant to leave a day in between to allow the muscles to recover and time to improve. If you do both every day I think that slows development.

13. Exether

Exether Valued Member

Yes you need time for your muscles to heal, thats why Vanzant recommends doing 1 stretch isometrically per day so you get at least a days rest between muscle groups.

14. takahura19

takahura19 Valued Member

Is it good when I have workouts every 2nd day, and than once I leave 2 days off, so thts 3 times a week. all the best. As tmrw I am gonna take day off sports

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Damn. That's a lot of questions. Alright, let me see...

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You are exercising too much. You must decide what your goals are (cycling or Taekwondo) and reduce your training load in one of those disciplines. Isometrics will not help you if you are training too hard or too often without sufficient rest, and your post suggests that you are not.

Your friend should focus on doing dynamic and compound strength exercises to build a solid base in preparation for isometrics (these exercises will build flexibility if done through as full a ROM as possible), and if your friend wishes to kick high, he/she should also do slow kicks to build strength in the agonists of those movements.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes. That is correct.

You can do more or less reps in each set if you want to.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you for your kind comments.

According to the results of my research involving dozens of combat athletes at every level of their sport, isometrics should be enough for you to achieve the maximal flexibility necessary for Taekwondo. Remember however that the program listed in this thread is for achieving splits; you should also do exercises like slow kicks and static kicks to develop the height and control of your leg techniques. My advice is that you should not do dynamic stretches; however, I also advise you to spend some time experimenting with the various methods available (this one, Kurz, Tsatsouline, Zaichik and so on), on their own or a combination of several, until you achieve the results you are looking for.

To maintain balance you should train your front splits with left and right leg forward equally.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I do my front split on Mon/Wed/Fri. I do my side split on Tue/Thu/Sat. I have a day of complete rest on Sun. This works for me and offers the same amount of rest between applications (i.e. every other day) as I would get if I worked my front and side split in the same workout and on the same day. I am working different muscle groups each day so there is no risk of overtraining. Try both methods (split over six days as I do, or both splits in the same workout over three days) and see which you prefer.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The isometric side split should be done with your feet pointing in the same direction as your hips. See the photo in the header of my blog for a visual guide.

Ask your doctor if isometrics are safe while you have a torn hamstring. This isn't a smartass answer. But I cannot properly advise you on your condition because, a) I'm not a qualified doctor, and b) I don't know the intimate details of your case history.