Isolating Pronator Quadratus

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KSW_123, Jul 7, 2009.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I am wondering if any of you know of an exercise that isolates the Pronator Quadratus from the Pronator Terres? My Pronator Terres on both forearms tends to get worked pretty hard. I would like to work pronation more but right now I need significant rest for the Pronator Terres, whereas I do not feel my Pronator Quadratus worked at all. I find this a bit odd since Pronator Quadratus is supposed to be the one with better mechanical advantage. I am guessing that pull ups and curls work the Pronator Terres and not the Quadratus and that is why I am feeling it there.

So far, I am using the Heavy Hammer from Ironmind to work my pronators/suppinators.

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You are seriously worried about isolating both of those muscles? You have to be the first person ever to have ever asked about this! If you are concerned about this then you are definitely far too caught up in the small details and not training hard enough in the big areas. It's not even possible to isolate these muscles, I haven't ever really felt them be sore on their own like other areas and I abuse my forearms. They both do the same job, I would worry about how strong you are in bigger movements rather than one small little area that doesn't really matter that much.

3. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

For certain techniques that we do, these muscles do matter. This is just one small part of my overall strength training routine. I do spend a lot of time on hand and forearm strength.

They both function as pronators true. The problem is that Pronator Terres functions as an elbow flexor when the bicep is use in flexion as opposed to supination. This means that Pronator Terres gets hit alot when doing other exercises. That is why some people use alternate grips on pullups for example, to allow the forearm to supinate and avoid irritating the muscles attaching at the medial epicondyle.

So one answer to my question is to perform other exercises such as pullups with an alternate grip, thus giving Pronator Terres time to rest, and hit the pronators hard together with the Heavy Hammer as I am doing now. That is not the optimal answer for me, hence why I asked the question.

4. 1369phil

1369phil Valued Member

Work your deadlift up to 500lbs for reps - then we'll have another look at your "problem"

5. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Yes deadlifts are great and they work the grip. So does a farmers walk. But neither work the pronators. I don't really understand your point.

6. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

THe thing is, they're such a tiny group of muscles it would seem ridiculos to everyone to try and isolate them. At least until you are already very strong. I agree. IF you need them to be strong for hand techniques or whatever just do the hand techniques and you will get strong pronaters.

7. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

That is perfectly reasonable response Axelator. The only thing I am missing is a partner strong enough to handle the technique enough times for me to get stronger. The purpose of the technique is lock a joint and induce pain. If I try to make it not painful, I don't get stronger.
    The heavy hammer is perfect though. It's handle is about the size of a wrist and motion is nearly identical to the one used in the techniques.

8. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Wrist rolling...

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Here man give these a shot... I usually hit them with holding a small hammer or adjustable DB with weight only on one end... so that the head of the hammer/plates provides more leverage and thus a great workout. In a slow controlled manner these will blast you.

http://www.acefitness.org/exerciselibrary/31/dumbbell-wrist-curl-supination-pronation/

here as well:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Supinators/DBSeatedSupination.html

and here as well:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Pronators/DBSeatedPronation.html

there are also these:
    http://www.trulyhuge.com/bodybuilding/forearms.htm

and of course for all of this type of stuff... a bucket of rice or sand is great for conditioning the wrists and pro/sup exercise.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ass kickers as well. Easy to rig up with damn near anything and will leave you pumped. A classic one from days spent spent training for climbing when not climbing. :p

11. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

There are some muscles though you just cannot target on their own, some are just stabilising muscles that get worked when doing another exercise, take the brachialis, this gets motivated when doing a bicep curl but for the life of me i dont think there is an exercise that would just fit that muscle, i suppose its like the terres muscles...just my thoughts...

12. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

search for "Get a Grip" at T-nation. It's one of the best forearm articles I've ever seen. It describes the different grip functions and how to train each one, as well as a 2 day program. And as for the brachiallis, I thought reverse curls shift the focus to the brachiallis?

13. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Thanks, i didnt think of that one so i'll add that, cheers :cool:

14. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

This is what I use. http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1255

Got that as well. To be honest though, I get bored using the sand bucket if I do it too often. The lack of numerical feedback is frustrating for me.

The issue for me is that Pronator Terres, the one connecting on the elbow, gets hit with a lot of other arm and upper body exercises. So even though Pronator Quadratus has the better mechanical advantage and does most of the work, I am worried about overuse of Pronator Terres. If I could isolate PQ then I would not have to rest it so much, because it is really PT that needs the rest.

But as AD McG pointed out, Pronator Quadratus probably can't be isolated.

15. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I think you are referring to the brachioradialis. That is a flexor of the elbow, and I can't think of an exercise for just that muscle as well.

16. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

This book is great if you are serious about getting strong hands and forearms.
    http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1273

I will definitely look up that article.

17. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

18. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

19. 1369phil

1369phil Valued Member

Sorry if I was unclear and perhaps a little flippant. If you attempt to isolate strength gains in certain small (or in your case, very small) muscles then you run the real risk of creating an inbalance and increase your chance of injury in that area.

Lifting heavier weights on large, multi joint exercises will give you the functional strength to perform most tasks with ease - a 500lb for reps deadlift will give you all the strength you need in you wrists and forearms add some chin ups or pull ups if you like.

I'm not "bodybuilder-big" but from many years of training I can squat and deadlift over 400lbs for reps, bench 300lbs for reps and a quick measurement of my arms (just now) shows a 17.5" arm and 14" forearm - I havent performed a curl or wrist curl in years. At over 250lbs bodyweight I can do 10 strict straight arm pull ups. I've never used steroids.

Curls, wrist curls and various extension movements are a distraction from you main attention which should be (a) your fighting art (b) strength (c) conditioning - in whatever order suits you or more importantly the order which you need the most.

As a side note - it's my birthday today !

20. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Hi 1369phil. Happy birthday.
    I agree that general fitness should be achieved before seeking to work on these smaller muscles. I also agree that your method is sufficient for the task. I just don't think it is necessary. I do mostly body weight work for my legs and core. I have for years. Years ago I could deadlift 300lbs for reps, no idea what I could now, although I feel strong as ever. I would also to make it clear that wrist pronation is just one very small part of my overall strength and conditioning regimen. I realize that by asking a question such as the one I did may make it appear that I am fixated on one small thing.

We condition ourselves for the things we choose to do. I know big strong guys that can't thumb draw my 45lb bow. I find it easy, but only because I conditioned myself for it.