Islam and Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by CX Imran, Apr 27, 2005.

1. CX Imran

CX Imran Valued Member

I was wondering what the connection between Silat and Islam is, can anyone point it out to me. Being a Muslim myself, I unfortunatley didn't know about this so called "Muslim Martial Art" and I was wondering how the two were connected. (Islam and Silat, that is)

Thanks in advance
    -Imran

2. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

An awnser can be found in this article.
    http://www.kpsnusantara.com/rapid/rapid5.htm
    There is silat specific to Islam, silat with no religious connection, Hindu silat, and even(though rare)Catholic silat. Most have what might be considered a kind of folk Islam, a combination of Islam with local animistic beliefs. Many schools are also associated with branches of sufism.

3. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

To start off, silat isn't a "muslim martial art". Like Crucible said, there are different styles that have Islamic influences in the SPIRITUAL aspects, but you cannot assign a spiritual or religious nature to the physical movements. A punch is a punch and a kick is a kick.

Unfortunaely this happens a lot in silat, and the importance placed in the differences in religions detracts from the actual training.

To specifically answer your question, SOME styles of silat are connected, as Islam is the primary religion in Indonesia, and over the centuries, it has penetrated these silat systems. It is important to remember that silat was around long before ANY established religion set in Indonesia, and many of the Ilmus Batin (Inner Knowledge) practices are testament to this, as they neither resemble any Muslim, Christian or Hindu traditions.

I find that this type of question always detracts from the essence of a martial art, but I have tried to answer it as best I can.

Hope this helps.

Wali

Ash Dawn likes this.
  5. CX Imran

CX Imran Valued Member

I wasn't trying to place a religious bias or anything on it, I was just curious as to their connection. Anyway, thanks guys for the help, my questions have been answered and my interested in Silat has been piqued, now I have to find a school near me :)

6. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Let us know what you find :) .

7. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hi Imran,

I wasn't implying that you were. I just wanted to point out a major misconception.

I hope you enjoy the school you have found. I'm sure you will love silat!

Cheers,
    Wali

8. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Wali's remarks...

Excellent post & reply, Wali. Thanks everybody, for keeping this civil between friends. :)

9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

not friends per se. Brothers/Sisters in Silat. :D

*group hug anyone? :p

10. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Ooooh! Me! Over here! I want a hug!!! :p

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

A brief summary would be fine! ;)

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!

Longest post ever.

As soon as my staff get's done reading it... I'll let you know what I think!:D

13. slipthejab

Holy Cow!!!!!

I thought quoting this thing would crash the servers or something. Jeez... buff stuff guys! :D

won't do that again!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2005
  14. slipthejab

ahh.. that's better... quote length I mean.

In all seriousness... how many people are attacked by Orangutans? In regards to Islam this sounds like a slight bit of rationalization on their part to get past the whole animal/pagan deal.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

If you got caught up in that fight between a bear and a gorilla, which would you mimick? Better choose carefully! :D

16. pete_e

pete_e New Member

SilatRucy I'm afraid I'm one of the people that is either too lazy or too busy to read the very lengthy posts you've put up.

That's not to say that I'm not interested in hearing what you've got to say - so please please please can you give us the gist of the posts.

17. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Another good place to go is www.zulfakr.com . Mushtaq Ali's site for Pencak Silat Zul Fikari will tell you about a very interesting Silat system with its foundations in a specific Islamic tradition.

18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Very few. Orangutans are very shy and not aggressive. They also spend most of their time in the canopy. At least they did until human beings chopped down all the forests :cry:

19. dark-angle

dark-angle New Member

Silat is NOT a Muslim art!

Silat is not a Muslim art so why are Muslims so eager to clam it as their art?
    Here is a clip of an instructor who is claming Silat is a Muslim Martial Art.
    http://www.mubai.cc/silatmubai-introvid.WMV

Silat is very Indian in character, movements and defiantly is not Muslim as some people like to clam.

20. xen

xen insanity by design

silat pupil;

I don't envy you moderating this forum...the posts on this thread make my essays over on the ninjutsu forum look like notes on the back of an envelope :D

respect.