Is this wear and tear or something else?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Kimberley, Apr 25, 2019.

  1. Kimberley

    Kimberley New Member

    Hi MartialArts Planet!

    I’ve been googling some pain I’m having and I came across this forum.

    I’m almost 31, I have been training in kickboxing since 2012 and have a first degree black belt. I have also trained in kung fu since 2015 and I’m a brown sash preparing to take my first degree black sash in December.

    I’ve always noticed one hip is less flexible than the other. My right leg can go up to my head easily, my left has always been much more difficult. It never used to be painful just stiff.

    After a couple of years I noticed a bit of an ache after a good kicking session, it never seemed to be sore enough to go to a doctor just a bit annoying. Taking my black belt two years ago it was noticeably weaker than the other side, kicks from that side were no where near as high. This last year it’s become a real problem. Even going for a run makes it hurt which has no stretching at all.

    Last night at training every time I tried a side kick (after a good warm up and proper stretches) pain shot down my hip and into my foot. It’s never been this sore before. If I lie down flat and bring my feet up to my bum and let my legs go my left leg barely drops whereas the right one drops all the way.

    Has anyone experienced anything similar? Doing martial arts I’ve learnt that aches and pains come and go but this one just seems to keep getting worse!

    Sorry for the essay I thought the backstory was important thankyou in advance!
  2. neems

    neems Valued Member

    I'd probably go see a physio and see what they thought, I went to one after I tore my ACL and she knew what was going on long before I got my appointment for an MRI.

    Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
    Monkey_Magic likes this.
  3. Monkey_Magic

    Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

    Ditto. I’d go and see a physio.
  4. Dead_pool

    Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

    If your in the UK, your GP normally can refer you to a physio, or you can refer yourself in some areas. Ask at your GP surgery.

    Here is a quick guide.

  5. Simon

    Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

    Hello Kimberley, welcome to MAP.

    I'd back up any physiotherapy with a trip to the doctor.

    I had a pain in my foot before Christmas and went to a physio who diagnosed plantia fascia.

    I had several costly treatments and the pain just got worse.

    I went to a doctor who instantly said the physio had made an incorrect diagnosis and today I had an MRI scan to check for arthritis.

    Hope you get better soon and please do keep us updated.
    Grond, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

    Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

    ^ great point!
    Simon likes this.
  7. Kimberley

    Kimberley New Member

    Thank you all so much for your advice

    Looking forward to getting to know MAP better
    Frodocious and Simon like this.
  8. Grond

    Grond Valued Member

    If pain shot down your leg to your foot from your hip as you describe, you might have some sort of nerve issue. That is "wear and tear" that people run into all the time all over their body from contact sports. I'm lucky, I only have trouble looking behind me to the left hand side. To the right? No problem! But I have a friend who was a Savate competitor, his whole body is wrecked from nerve and tendon damage. He regrets not taking care of himself. Honestly, if you're in pain you should probably lighten up on the training until you get some imagery done.
  9. Xue Sheng

    Xue Sheng All weight is underside

    See your doctor and with pain shooting down it could be hip, could be low back. But let the Doctor tell you what it really is.
    Grond and Monkey_Magic like this.

Share This Page