Is this Traditional or Modern age?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by peteryoung, Nov 16, 2014.

1. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

This is what led me to learn Judo. I was looking for the traditional jujutsu several years ago in Portugal. I asked a guy who I did kendo with who was a fanatic in anything relating Japanese traditional martial arts and asked where could I find a traditional Jujutsu dojo good for self defence. His answer:
    Go join a Judo club or a BJJ club. All the best bits are in there and are more complete than traditional schools.

Now I do Judo, with a bit of Tomiki Aikido and I quite like the mix. The only thing that could be better is if I had a BJC dojo next to me instead of the BJA. I still tend to prefer the more traditional side of things...

So, you are looking for effective Jujutsu, join your local Judo or BJJ club.

PS: regarding that video, not my cup of tea either. 10 min randori in Judo will give you far better skills than one hour of that.
    EDIT: at 3:20, he places himself in a choke. If you are defending yourself (especially against a weapon), placing yourself on a choke on purpose is not a good idea I think...

And, most importantly, the stick was not pointed... :p

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Lol he said at one point "Destroy the arm and the shoulder"...

I was waiting for him to "Re-stomp the groin!"

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

This seem to suffer form the same problems the Ju-Jitsu I did had.

There is nothing wrong with a throw, but there is something wrong with teaching people to catch a hook punch in mid air, turn on the spot and then execute a throw. There just isn't time, unless you're Neo.

The defence against coat grab and punch is another example of the instructor not understanding the realities of civilian violence,. When he is grabbed he blocks the punch. But how do you know it will be a punch, he may have a knife and attempt to stab you in the abdomen. If someone grabbed my coat I wouldn't wait to block whatever comes, I would attack. Striking until they are weakened, and then use the armlock to free myself.

I am sure if you took the techniques and applied them realistically you could end up with a useful system.

But in the form it is I agree with Hannibal, "horrible".

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Is this modern jujutsu? Chronically, yes I suppose. Technically, I can't say from the 4 minutes I watched. What makes something modern is whether or not it's shed the technical elements that no longer apply to today's reality of violence and replaced them by those that do and replaced cooperative training methods with live sparring. What I can say from the 2-3 techniques I watched is: this guy's hip toss was poorly executed. His entry into it was bad too. His entry into tai-otoshi is horrible almost turning his back to the attacker...self defense 101. On the third technique, he puts himself in a position to be choked and off balance -> facepalm. But most importantly, uke can't throw a punch.

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Yes and the list of expletives I produced was epic! :bang:

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well think of it as a pre-emptive precognitive response, I have one word for you.

Chanbara.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  8. Kogusoku

Photographic evidence that you, yourself put up! :evil:

9. Dean Winchester

That's it I'm going home.

*picks up LARP gear*

10. Kogusoku

Wait, isn't chanbara a sport? Rather than LARPing?

11. Dean Winchester

Bugger off.

12. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

Just watched the clip. Didn't float my boat, the throws weren't quite right, but the biggest problem for me was the attacking. Who hits like that? Float like a butterfly, sting like a moth?

13. Sy81

Sy81 New Member

Did anybody else notice all the space they were leaving in between each other on there throws and groundwork! Just generally very sloppy, I was always shown and taught body to body at all times, no gaps as gaps mean counters and gaps mean space to escape.