Is this the highest graded man in the world?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by herbert, Nov 15, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Can anyone explain the above post to me?

regards koyo

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Enough B/S and we won't understand? Baffling us with dan grades and strange pseudo martial arts maths. ;)

3. koyo

He does not need to add more b/s. B/s I understand it is er ..........B/S.

4. donb

donb restless spirit

Maybe he needs to review his post and explain whether he's referring to math or his preferrence of who he can fight (he can only fight certain degrees and not anything lower) or is it that he can fight up to 50 people all at once. I'm having a head ache trying to read/analyze his post.

5. Moi

Give it time, all will become clear when you reach 12th dan. Until then you are not ready for the truth :rolleyes:

On the plus side it shouldn't take that long ;)

6. donb

donb restless spirit

I, too, have trained traditionally in japanese arts, with a 10th dan, 2 eight dans, and one 9th dan all in different styles, and everytime had to start from white and these masters don't even call themselves grandmasters and they are the humbliest people i know. The current 8th dan, that i'm training under right now, doesn't even have stripes in his belt, no patches, and refuses to wear a red and white belt that is supposedly a privelege for 7th dans and up.

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You know that the belt darkening through years of dirt is a myth, right? The analogy is a nice one, but it's most definitely not true, as the Japanese only invented the modern belt (including white and black) when judo was invented, and Kano introduced the black and white levels shortly after that to distinguish between new students and those who could train more vigorously. The Japanese were historically very concerned with cleanliness, and the idea of not washing an item of training clothing would have been pretty disgusting, and almost certainly wouldn't have been tolerated by the fellow students, let alone the instructor.

As I said, a nice myth, but a myth nevertheless.

8. koyo

Allow me to guess...none of them are in their twenties.

regards koyo

I heard as similar tale about the colour of the belts that being the martial artists were so poor that they died the belte from white through to black. Nice story .

I had Sekiya shihan stay with me for a couple of months and every day he would have the hoover out cleaning the house. No matter what I said he insisted. As you say all of the true "masters" are humble and dignified.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  9. donb

donb restless spirit

True, It is a myth, and a way to encourage students not to look at the rank but to focus on their own training. And you're right about cleanliness, as well, i can't remember how many times we had to scrub the floor of our dojo on our hands and knees.

10. donb

donb restless spirit

The youngest one is 57 years old.

11. koyo

This is whar saddens me. Men are prepared to dedicate their lives to "master" their art and then there are those who promote themselves to ridicuous levels
    cheapening the achievements of true martial artists. AS for creating your own art at such an early age..again completely against all common sense.

regards koyo

12. donb

donb restless spirit

It is nice to see that martial arts has adapted through the changing times and modified for good reasons but i'm just not sure about all the ranks/degrees that are now available for everybody - some of them without effort. I guess there's something like this in every art. I just left one area because of people founding their own styles, saying their style is the original one, or that their style is better than the other, after training with the same source which is really funny to hear from someone who has actual lineage by blood but never claiming to be an expert of such art.
    My other problem with it that "some" students from such ?masters get blinded by all ranks and honors that they come out with such egos and fail in the real world. Anyway, this is just my perspective. To each his own.

13. donb

donb restless spirit

Steven Seagal style aikido

Hi Koyo,
    Since your post led me to believe that you practice Aikido, you might find this interesting ad that i ran into in a dojo in joliet, illinois, trying to get more business. I didn't really get the details but i thought it was funny.
    sincerely, donb

14. koyo

That would be aikido for six foot four inches tall rather heavy gentlemen. Sorry I don't quite fit the Bill :D

regards Bill Coyle

makotokai.co.uk

You are correct aikido and cross training in traditional martial arts since the early sixties.

15. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

No it's not since it doesn't make sense.
    However, are you saying you can fight 15 people at once?

The Bear.

16. TadashiRyu

TadashiRyu New Member

Yes, i can usually fight 15 people twice and again or tops 5 or 10 times. Kenpo karate gets this much or more, therefore this is not an astounding feat.

It is worthy of upto 15th degree because it is more than some 10th degrees and so are most kenpo experts and all their masters (a kenpo master is really 50th degree or 5th degree).

Kungfu experts are only 5th degree and their degree in the system upto 5th or 10th. They often fight 5 or more and only upto 10 or 15. Dont get me wrong though, some actually are 10th or 15th or 10th and 15th degree instead. Styles vary within, between, and especially cross contention variations and alternative or outside styles and systems.

17. Moi

Do you have any video of this and under what rules do you fight?

18. donb

donb restless spirit

If you don't mind shedding more light into your system, where did this ranking come from? Is this specific to your style or Kenpo always did it this way (I don't recall it from past exposure to the art). Also, are you referring to specific degrees, then, sub ranks in each degree? Thanks.

19. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Could you define what you mean by fight please.

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Ah, you fight them one after another, not a once. Also it depends on the rules of the fight. If it is full contact, I would doubt you could take 150 rounds unless your students are 7 year old children.

The Bear.