Is this genuine Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu in Chester?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by nickh, Jul 21, 2006.

1. nickh

nickh Valued Member

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

First thing's first, they misspell it "Tenjin Shino ryu", the ryuha was formed in the early/mid 19th century and there are no dan grades in this particular koryu.

As far as I know, there haven't been any South African students in the Tenyokai in Tokyo. So far there are a good number of Australians, a large number of Britons, one American, one Canadian (unknown if he trains any longer), one Israeli, one Swede, one German and one Irish. Only two contingents have been given authority to recieve Menkyo and open full dojo - The Australians, under Mr. George Marton in Sydney and the British, under Mr. Paul Masters, in Essex.

The grading system in Tenjin Shinyo ryu only gives five licences of proficiency - Shoden Kirigami Menjo, Chuden Kirigami Menjo, Mokuroku, Menkyo & Menkyo Kaiden. The first two kirigami menjo are in paper certificate form, bearing the holder's name and the headmaster's personal hanko(stamps). The latter three are in makimono (scroll) form.

3. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

We can probably assume that this group has no checkable links back to the actual Tenjin Shinyo Ryu as mentioned above.

However, I live in Wrexham and work in Chester at the University. If someone can find me some contact details, I'll try and contact the group to obtain further information and perhaps visit if possible.

I'm genuinely interested in studying that particular jujutsu ryuha and if this turns out to be an authentic school, I'll apply to join.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenjin_shinyo_ryu

http://www.makotokan.com.au/tenjin.html

4. nickh

nickh Valued Member

5. Kogusoku

6. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Hi

I was just about to post that very same link!

http://www.geocities.com/deeside_jujitsu/index.htm

On that link I found some video clips that bear watching. I'm more than happy to be corrected but I don't believe that this is genuine Tenjin Shinyo Ryu. Perhaps at some point in the history of the club they had a genuine connection but, hmm. No offence intended towards that group but I don't think I'll be contacting them with a view to joining.

I don't seem to be able to find details for the Chester branch though. I don't know if the Deeside group is connected to them. Does anyone know where they actually train e.g. the Northgate Arena?

7. Kogusoku

Check your PM's Andy, I just fired one at you. ;)

8. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Thanks. Just fired one right back! :woo:

9. nickh

nickh Valued Member

For God's sake Steve, why is it ALWAY Tenjin Shinyo-ryu and Daito-ryu that get picked on?

10. Kogusoku

Wait for a few more decades, it'll be Katori Shinto-ryu, Takenouchi-ryu etc etc. That's when the real problems begin, when there will be more fakers than you can shake a stick at.

11. nickh

nickh Valued Member

I do feel for the poor students who honestly think that they are learning something 500 years old and that was used by the samurai.

12. Kogusoku

This is why prospective students need to do their homework and do some real research on Koryu if they are really set on training in it. If you don't at least do some background research, you don't know what you're getting.

13. Lee Masters

Lee Masters New Member

14. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Perhaps we should email the Chester/Deeside group to make them aware of this thread? We could invite them to contribute and hopefully clear up some of the aforementioned issues.

Can anyone perhaps point to some authenticated video clips of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu demonstrations that we could use for comparison?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  15. nickh

nickh Valued Member

There are a couple of people on this forum who have genuine licences in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu. Does the following sound like anything you had to do to get your qualifications?

Did either of you get into the Yudansha Kia? Is Kubota-sensei part of this Yudansha Kia?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  16. Lee Masters

Lee Masters New Member

Dear Nickh

These groups are definately not part of Kubota Shihanke lineage and the techniques shown on the video clips do not resemble anything like Tenjin Shinyo Ryu.

Kubota Shihanke is definately not a member of the Yudansha Kai,and this term is not recognised in koryu.

All those who are interested in true Tenjin Shinyo Ryu can apply for a registration form for the seminar.

17. nickh

nickh Valued Member

From http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.c...-name_page.html

The oldest martial art?

18. Lee Masters

Lee Masters New Member

Dear Nickh

Tenjin Shinyo Ryu is most definately not the oldest martial art,it was formed in the early 1800's around 1830ish.Take it all with a pinch of salt.

19. Lee Masters

Lee Masters New Member

20. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Very nice article. I also enjoyed Meik Skoss' piece on TSR in Koryu Bujutsu

It's important that articles like this get out there so that frauds can be spotted early. The more people know what real TSR or Daito-ryu looks like, the sooner they can ask "WTF are we being taught?" :woo:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006