Is this a good school?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by dori_kin_86, Jun 30, 2004.

1. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I'm wanting to learn traditional self-defence arts. I'm currently learning Ryukyu Kempo, and also want to learn a form of Ju-jitsu. There is only one school in my area that teaches JJ. I have seen a public demonstration of the school's style, and it looked pretty good. I went to the school's website ( www.starkvillemartialarts.com ) and it said that their form of Ju-jitsu is Aiki-Ju-jitsu, with some infuence from Hapkido and Judo. I'm still skeptical about the school though. Please visit the site and tell me what you think.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's a little odd that they require you to be a black belt in order to take their style of jujutsu (or to be a member of their "black belt club"). I'd usually say to give it a try to see what it's like, but if that option isn't there, don't bother. If you're already a black belt, try it out and see what you think.

3. Robert Carver

Robert Carver New Member

Greetings dori_kin_86:

I read your question while surfing around, and since I know the instructor at the dojo you are inquiring about, I thought I could answer your question.

Chris Dewey is a real Ph.D., not some bogus MA organization "Dr.". He is an Associate Professor of Geology at Mississippi State University, and has long been associated with the United States Judo Association. He has been their Coach of the Year at least once, and is the Chair of the USJA Coaching Committee. I have had the opportunity, no priveledge, of having taught with him at several seminars here on the Gulf Coast, and I can say without reservation that he is probably one of the best instructors I have ever met. He is also a really nice guy with a wicked sense of humor! :D In my sincere opinion, you totally lucked out having an instructor of his quality in your area.

As far as why he requires ranking in another art or for the students to be a member of their "Black Belt Club" to join the Jujitsu class, I have no idea. Why don't you just ask him? He won't rip your head off for asking the question. However, knowing Dr. Dewey, my guess is that he is looking for folks with real committment for that class. Kinda like offering an incentive to work hard at your other arts. As far as the "Black Belt Club", don't let that turn you off either. I run a non-profit dojo from a local YMCA here in Baton Rouge, and I once asked him about marketing and stuff of that nature. He said that he uses the marketing things because the bottom line is that he has to keep the doors open and the lights on. Otherwise, no one would be able to train. This is no McDojo, and you will find the level of instruction there to be exceptional.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me via PM or at webmaster@budoseek.net.