Is there any Spiritual implication of MA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by runcai, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I had a quick look around at a couple of sources (an unbelievably cursory search, to be clear) and confirmed at least some sources that said that Buddhism didn't hold reincarnation as a tenet. At least not in the generally accepted sense of transmigration of the soul.

I have to say I find that pretty unlikely. My memory of Buddhism is pretty shaky. But my memory of Hinduism is stronger, and I know that many concepts ported from Hinduism to Buddhism, including (as you mention) the objective of trying to get your soul (atma) off of the karmic merry-go-round.

Do you think of religion that way? To me, that's a bit literal. Not that my definition is any better. I tend to think of religion as the set of practices, rituals, and norms associated with the conveyance of a spiritual belief to numbers of people. And Buddhism is certainly conveyed to great numbers of people on a daily basis.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

3. 47MartialMan

Sorta, odd that there are Buddhist/Christian Martial Artists as well as Buddhists/Christians who follow a dogma too literal in belief that Buddhists/Christians should not study Martial Arts

(Note: Both posts did not merge when I used the "Multi Quote")

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Rebirth is a very common topic in Buddhism. :google:

I think I smell a troll, and not a very good one at that.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have asked many religious people about the following question. Nobody could give me a definite answer.

If you "cross believe" both Buddhism and Christian, after your death, will you

- become another new born baby,
    - go to heaven? or
    - have choice where you want to go?

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I believe in many things which the mainstream world calls supernatural. And when I was a social being, I hung out in circles where my friends believed the same.

The commonly held belief we had/ have is that there is no such thing as supernatural. Just that that is the word used for natural phenomena that we as a society just don't understand yet.

7. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You will be born in heaven as a new baby but soon achieve enlightenment.

I'm a secular Buddhist. I believe when I die I am simply dead. Nirvana is the end of suffering so being dead is nirvana.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

There were at least two by my count. One relatively famous.

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

As I always say on MAP, and always get ignored (not a dig at you), there's numerous traditions. Each tradition has a different idea regarding reincarnation and whether Buddhism is a religion or not or whatever. Then, of course, you have individuals within each tradition. So it's not as simple as, "Do Buddhists believe A or B?".

It's kinda pointless to even use the term "Buddhist" as the traditions can be very, very different. For example, check the Gelug school and compare it to Zen. You need to look at specific traditions and what they believe.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Have you ever encountered anyone who regarded themselves as being both devoutly Christian and devoutly Buddhist? Those sound rather mutually exclusive to me.

11. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

literalness

No, I don't think of it that way, and I agree with you as to what a religion is normally considered to be. When I taught R.E. in schools it was certainly one of the main 5.
    I was just being literally reductive in case someone called me on a definition of religion. But what I said about the Buddhist's definition is also true.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  12. 47MartialMan

13. Remi Lessore

orthodoxy

I do know that none of the mainstream Churches or any of the smaller churches that I know of (there are thousands) teach that you could hold to Buddhism and Christianity.
    I don't know whether all Buddhists would be so dogmatic. Perhaps Lily would know.
    I have heard that the Japanese are often Shinto and Buddhist. I know even less about Shinto than Buddhism so I do not know how much sense that makes.

14. Remi Lessore

reincarnation

Go on. Tell me.
    Jesus and... Lazarus? Elijah?

The OP must be wondering what the hell has happened to his thread!

Biologists...!

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Even withing traditions there are many variations. There really isn't any such thing as Buddhism. They can be as different as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Mormons and Voodoo.

Buddhism is basically a western term used to describe all the different traditions that can be traced back to Buddha.

16. runcai

runcai Valued Member

Sorry, it was not my intention to get into any religious argument and I think it is possible to have a phenomenon without any form of worship. Actually I am trying to demarcate energy healing from spiritual healing or faith healing, as there are some references to martial arts in the practice of energy healing.

17. Remi Lessore

Well. That's cleared it up, then.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, no, that was interesting. I'm glad you said it. I was just curious.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That was resurrection. Not reincarnation. There was no transmigration of the soul. Reincarnation is literally (you're rubbing off on me Remi ;) ) coming back in a different incarnation (physical form). Right?

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have met many people in California who believe in all religions. They believe there is someone up there. What name that others may want to call him, they don't care.