Is there a recipe for homemade energy drinks?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KidCanFight, Oct 11, 2005.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make energy drinks at home without using too much expensive stuff that nobody has. I know water is the best and I drink lots of it, but Im wondering if anyone knows how to make energy drinks (like Gatorade, etc).

If anyone knows could they please post?

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

water, glucose, salt. add flavor. thats gatorade.

for even more energy, try adding caffiene and taurine and ALCAR to the mix.

3. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Where do I get glucose from?

I heard that you just mix water, fruit juice, and a pinch of salt. Would that work?

4. Roman

Roman New Member

Go to costo and buy yourself a bag or two of frozen strawberries, or the mixed "smoothie" variety.
    Mix in a blender, and you got yourself some good carbs for energy...

5. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

You can find glucose at most stores in the baking section--look for dextrose or glucose.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

A simple high energy formula.

Attached Files:

• LE.jpg
      LE.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Fruit juice contains fructose, duh. Fructose needs to metabolised in the liver before it can be used as blood glucose. So fruit is not the best option. Just go down a bakery or a beer brewery and get some dextrose/glucose. (theyre the same thing)

8. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Is that a coffee enema?

9. rocketone5

rocketone5 New Member

I read an article on mixing apple cider vinegar, raw cane sugar, as a home made energy drink. I'll pos the article if I'll find it.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Somebody has been reading my posts :D

Tyrosine wouldn't do any harm either. There is other stuff too like sulbutiamine but we're getting into a whole other kettle of fish there.

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

You know...I've been reading up on this stuff and it looks pretty good. Have you tried it? Results? thoughts?

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I haven't tried sulbutiamine because I can't get my hands on any for a decent price. Stack it with some caffeine and apparently you have something that is virtually the same as Spike. I have just started using a combo of ALCAR, tyrosine, taurine and creatine mono for morning, afternoon and pre-WO stimulation, and it works an absolute treat. I want to add green tea powder and caffeine in, but the GT would ruin the taste of the drink. I have them all in OJ because it masks the sourness of the ALCAR.

You live in america which means you are uber lucky and get to order from 1fast400... git! They have all the best stuff for awesome prices. I would love to try citrulline malate too but it's a bit too expensive for me, same goes for ALA (would prefer RLA). Do some avantlabs searches if you're more interested in this kind of thing, I think you might be because I've seen what you've tried before. All great supps that are pretty cheap.

13. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Interesting discussion.

Current wisdom with acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR) is that since it upregulates mitochondrial metabolism it also necessarily increases free radical production and to counter this you need to take alpha lipoic acid (ALA) which is the best mitochondrially targeted anti-oxidant. I would not consume regular racemic ALA because the s-enantiomer is completely unnatural and presumably only a further strain on our livers in these toxin filled modern times, R-ALA is unstable, the best current form is K-R-ALA (www.geronova.com) I believe a number of supplements are filtering through which now use this product.

When it comes to supplements I think it is wise to read articles and discussion which are aimed at what might be described as the life-extension community as well as those for the bodybuilding subculture, getting big is sometimes pursued at the expense of overall long-term health (as we all know!) and I personally find sources such as the much vaunted t-nation as unbalanced and overly promotional

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  14. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

You mean someone has been lurking around avantlabs :p

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Errmm, uh, that looks kind of evil.....

16. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

You dont need supplements!!! Just work with what you've got! If you get into a street fight are you going to say 'woah woah wait a second man, i need to take some taurine formula!' No way, so why would you do it in your training? Its lying to your body.

Green tea (or white tea also) is a safe drink that has only good side effects and will provide a small amount of extra energy. Its not going to bounce you off the walls or make a big change in your energy levels, but it HAS been proven to improve performance. This Red Bull mixed w/ cocaine and speed and a dab of glucose is going to kill you.

Just my 2¢. Im sure many people here dissagree with me and thats fine. You can vastly improve your energy without energy drinks. Go jogging a mile a day. After a few weeks you should notice a spike in energy that doesnt fade away after an hour, you have it forever as long as you keep endurance training. And the fact that you drink a lot of water is a very good step towards more energy.

Im not really a doctor, so my word isnt law, but thats how i feel about it.

DocQ (not the medicine woman :woo: )

P.S. Gatorade is just expensive sugar water with coloring added in.

17. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah Slip, is that reference to a coffee enema? I think you can get them at starbucks now.. :D

18. slipthejab

WHAT?!?!?!

It is after all an energy drink... ermm..
    only via the other major hole in your body! :D

Let me tell ya... be prepared for some surprised looks at Starbuck's when the barrista's call this one out and you drop your trousers and *ker-PLUG!!!* you get ready to rock... :eek:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  19. Lefty

Lefty Yummy!

Do you have to use your own bulb syringe, or is there a Starbucks™ brand model they hand out?
    My guess is you'd want to let it cool down or maybe get the Frappuchino rather than going full hot!

20. slipthejab

Yeah banging that stuff up there right outta the machine is no joke... but hey what are skilled barrista's for? :D

Starbucks should just provide a disposable bung banger for this. Heck you could even do a party job... you know one mainline hooked to the espresso machine with multiple nozzles. :eek: