is there a martial art based on an continuous flow of attack?

Discussion in 'Other Martial Arts Articles' started by starfruit, May 30, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

But when you fail to block in such a manner, knowing how to cover up the head is much better than just getting punched in the head with no protection whatsoever.

Like I said, in CLF I have been taught that all blocks can be strikes and all strikes can be blocks. However, is someone gets inside and I can't use a strike as a block, say I don't have time or the distance is wrong, I am darn well going to try to get my arm protecting my head.

Also, I am taught to use footwork to get the punch to miss along with protecting myself. The arm is protection in case the footwork is not sufficient.

Again, the more complete the style is in everything, the more options are open for different circumstances.

Mangosteen likes this.
  2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I was not suggesting that one should just cover up and play defence. it is more about how one can reasonably both attack and defend whilst coping with the overload of a sudden unexpected attack. circular counter attacks would come later once the conscious brain has time to catch up with what is going on.

One recommended immediate response is to push your arms out in front of you. this is referred to as pushing away danger in the spear system self defence system. This is what I would recommend as an initial response if you are facing towards the attacker. Interestingly you find this move in different guises in many traditional arts, variants include, just throwing a fist straight out in front of you at face height or, throwing both hands forward at face height in a hand-on-fist salute, while tucking the chin and ducking between ones own shoulders :).

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This is one of the main ways things like "salutations" and "ready positions" in kata/patterns are used in "modern" combative bunkai/applications. Arms closer to the head or "palms in" variations (like the start of Naihanchi) are used as "flinch" or instinctive "crash helmets". But always this is a back up method to being pre-emptive and/or pro-active and is a way to get back in the game and overcome a barrage of blows when you're attacked by surprise or in the fence/dialogue phase of social violence. Rather than trying to block specific arms or attacks you cover what they are trying to hit (your head 99 times out of 100) and crash in to tie up and regain the initiative.
    Posture/moves like the start of Kanku dai, Naihanchi, Po eun or Kwang gae...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Thinking about the OP in terms of philosophy of forward pressure. Different arts approach forward pressure in different ways. Boxing for example has as much emphasis on backward and side to side movement as it does forward. Shota kahn karate has plenty of backward movement but when moving forward there is a lot of commitment of body weight. While from what I understand (happy to be corrected) southern praying mantis emphasises pushing as close to the opponent as possible to tie them up while dropping strikes vertically down on them. It is a compromise. the more forward drive you have the more physical pressure you put on your opponent and the harder your strikes, but the more open you are to being drawn off balance or to being slipped and attacked from the side or back.

6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Yes, in anime. :D

Too many to bother mentioning, I think. They're all equally unrealistic. Start with Hokuto Shinken.

Hokuto Shinken

7. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

I mean most of the 'relentless attacking' OP is asking about is just a strategy and relies on you being faster than the other person, more than anything.

Im amazed we didn't start him with dragonball and the atatatatatatatatata of Super

Grond and Mangosteen like this.
  8. Deepak patidar

Deepak patidar New Member

What is described sounds more like a particular strategy to me, rather than a whole system. It could be a dominant strategy within a particular system, but doubtful is the complete sum of the system itself.

9. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Yiquan has no defense. It is always on the attack. The body method it employs is its own defense.

From the 0:30 mark

10. IronMaiden1991

So it does have defense

axelb and aaradia like this.
  11. john_newman

john_newman New Member

Kempo/Kenpo (either spelling) is a martial art characterized by the use of quick hand strikes (sneaky adversting linke deleted) in rapid succession. The multitude of fast strikes has a dual purpose, perhaps overwhelming an opponent, while attempting to ensure that at least some strikes effectively hit their target.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2022
  12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Please do not try to add another advertising link like that again if you wish to stay here on MAP. Our Terms of Service can be found by clicking on the "terms and Rules" button on the bottom right hand corner of every page. Thanks.:)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  13. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

Sanda/Sanshou and many styles of karate come close I guess.

14. john_newman

john_newman New Member

Kempo/Kenpo (either spelling) is a martial art characterized by the use of quick hand strikes in rapid succession. The multitude of fast strikes has a dual purpose, perhaps overwhelming an opponent, while attempting to ensure that at least some strikes effectively hit their target. American Kenpo emphasizes fast hand techniques used in rapid succession. Kicks are less common, and usually directed at the lower body because high kicks are slower to execute and potentially compromise the practitioner's balance.

MOD Note. No sneaky advertising. Contact @Mitch or @Simon if you wish to place a commercial advert.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2023
  15. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

"is there a martial art based on an continuous flow of attack?"

Xingyiquan (which some Yiquan came from). In Xingyiquan attack is Attack and Attack is defense

16. IronMaiden1991

every martial art and it's mother does this to some extent, the vagueness of this question is so open and non specific it is impossible to answer without 'what do you mean' as a response

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Interesting do you mean some lines of Yiquan come from xingyiquan and others do not, or that Yiquan constrains some of the content of Xingyiquan with other content added or that is different from Xingyiquan?

18. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The founder or Yiquan Wang Xiangzhai (王芗斋) Was a Xingyiquan guy first so all lines of Yiquan/Dachengquan can be linked to Xingyiquan. Many of the Yiquan standing postures come directly from Xingyiquan. I said some (should have been some of) because there were other things that influenced Wang Xiangzhai

icefield likes this.
  19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Thought that is what you meant! I'm always amazes how jus bagua is in the postures and influenced him as well

Xue Sheng likes this.
  20. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Hsing I Chuan