is the dan tien real?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by gt3, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mufty

Mufty New Member

It is my battery

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

charge me up, baby :D

You'll have to excuse me I'm always a bit yanged up in the summer months :)

3. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Don't use the cheap batteries then lol.
    Use durecell they last six times longer.
    lisa xx

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I've never had a problem lasting ;)

5. reikislapper

We only have your word for it GEO :D :D .
    Lisa (tongue firmly in cheek).

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I hope that's a challenge lisa :D

ps. we must stop this now!! before we get told off! :)
    there's other places on the internet for this sort of thing (so I'm told) :Angel:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  7. reikislapper

GEO, I don't know what you mean, I'm doing this in poor innocence :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Oh and by the way yes it's a challenge lol.

I think we'd better get back to the topic intended shouldn't we.

I'll have another read and I'll make a list of the questions I have.
    lisa xx

8. ocianain

ocianain Valued Member

In reply to the question that started this thread:

No

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

The tan tien contains a large quantity of neurotransmitters, making it a key source of body intelligence. It is for this reason the Taoists also referred to Tan Tien Chi Kung as Second Brain Chi Kung and created exercises that would allow practitioners to gain awareness of the tan tien's function.

So to answer the thread YES it is real, as real as the thoughts in you head.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  10. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I know that pizza is real, i think we should all eat some cause itz awesome.

11. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Don't hold your breath.... :yeleyes:

12. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Thats brought back a few memories you old tart!!!!

btw, what colour is it at the moment? :eek: :love:

Is it me, or has this thread gone a bit weird?

13. reikislapper

I bet, the hair is still red as usual lol.
    and you stand need to talk, you've taught me all that I know.
    lisa xx

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Seeing as I am currently a celibate, born again virgin, you will have to blame someone else for your wild and wet past!! :D :p

15. Dybamo Jack

Dybamo Jack Banned Banned

There is very solid scientific evidence that it exists. .and what it can do. western medical scien'tists' do not have the knowledge though.and neither do you. and that's all it really boils down to.

16. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Cool, could you show us some of that evidence?

17. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Wow epic necro !

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You necro a thread from 2005 to post this?

Well played. I can't believe people don't take this topic seriously with insightful and well articulated opinions such as yours leading the charge....:rolleyes:

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Great news.

Can you post links to these studies please?

20. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Hey brothers I am more of a history nerd than a science one but I did well in exercise science and physics too AND studied the 下 dantian "concept" a little bit. The Chinese (and their predecessors to some degree although I would argue the Chinese were the first to become "systematic" about it, in their unique Confucian ways), were definitely onto something "real" as in observably real. It wasn't their collective imaginations that produced the "dantian", but a long trail of somato-psychosocial (i.e. body-mind-cultural) development. Call it "Confucian Exercise Science" if you will. Or not :-D I read part of the first posts in this thread about "Eastern" concepts like chi and "Western" concepts like science not meeting...let's face it brothers if it belies science, it's suspect. But if it's observable in the perceptive sense (not necessarily in the scientific sense...by perceptive I mean what the body senses), then there is something there as well. The general area of the dantian is most definitely recognized in biomechanics as the body's most powerful rotational point, hence why the Chinese conceptually refer to it as an "energy distribution center" etc. But there is no need to imagine little particles of chi floating about, you just have to observe the body or just ask an athlete or worker that relies heavily on the dantian area: gymnasts, discus throwers, martial artists, construction/demolitions. Just about everything powerful they need to do involves this location in the body. So, when I learned about the Buddhist/Taoist methods of cultivating "energy" at this point it kind of made sense...no need for mystical diagrams or "east vs. west" debates :)

I think (this part is just my opinion) that people who mystify things like the dantian miss the entire point, it's not some mystical unicorn waiting to be caught on film, but something part of you from birth to death and the Chinese simply developed a way to notice it. And note it is not necessarily fixed a few inches below the navel...the Chinese systems note other related "energy centers" and of course they correspond to other potential centers of mass (CM). Note that because of how the human body is constructed, the "lower" or 下 dantian is the strongest because of its proximity to the "core". This Oregon state CM lab is a good case study, with pictures!

http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/exss323/CM_Lab/Center of Mass.htm

[​IMG]

This gymnast has all of her "dantians" in equilibrium (you could model it in physics with a simple graph with equivalent mass at three different points which happen to be the exact positions of the "upper", "middle", and "lower" dantian). note the clear visible support strength of the 下 actually supports the equilibrium of the mass underneath it, seemingly defying gravity!!!

The body is more amazing than any description of chi and dantians :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.