Is Thailand a good way to become competant fast?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hello so Im thinking as im getting really into training and want to compete sometime in the future. I was thinking of going for a training holiday to thailand. I know its straight in the deep end but why not?

I get bad depression in winter so its a nice way I can avoid the darkest months and uk weather.

Now my main questions are.

Whats it like going there for someone who is in good physical shape but not that much experience?

My funds allow me to either do 2 months there or 1 month + private lessons. Which is gonna be better for me to get competant to an intermediary level?

Is it true that going to thailand can get me competant in striking quickly or is that a rumor?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's not so much the training there that gets you good. It's simply that when you're there you get four hours of training a day on a normal day and the pads are constantly try being held for you.

It is a great experience though and I highly recommend going. Go somewhere that is good for beginners and will take a lot of interest in you. You can probably make it cheaper if you work it out properly.

3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Oh so when you do pads you dont pick a partner and swap over after a round like we do over here?

4. Pretty In Pink

It's very unlikely. Mostly you'll be hitting pads or a bag. If it's really busy you'll get put in a ring and one guy will be hitting the pads and you'll get a rest round normally spent watching the other person hitting pads. Still exhausting.

Sparring with Thai's is very light and nice. Sparring with anyone who isn't Thai is asking for trouble. I don't know what it is but when you're over there people seem to think they have to prove themselves.

Best advice is spar with Thai's or at least someone you've spent some time getting to know someone first.

quasar44 and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hitting pads? Isnt someone holding the pads?

6. Pretty In Pink

Yeah. It'll likely be a Thai trainer/retired fighter holding pads for you. Very very good pad holding. Sometimes ex-world champions will be holding pads for you.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Maybe try and look at what Sylvie Von-Duuglus Ittu is up to?
    She's doing good stuff with patreon and getting some old legends doing privates and sessions at certain gyms.
    Might be good avenue for farangs looking to train in Thailand?

I mean...you could end up doing padwork with dieselnoi, sagat or karuhat!!

8. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Flights booked with suwit gym. Now is it worth spending double the baht amd going for one month of one to one or should I just stay there as long as money will allow? I could probably manage two months of training out there but only 1 month of one to one.

Mitch and Pretty In Pink like this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Congratulations!you're going to have a blast!

I will say that for me 1 month is enough and then I get sick of the heat and if you're training it can often get lonely and boring. I'd recommend just take one month this time, use the rest of the money for spending on day trips to the islands. There's loads of little kiosks that offer travel days. Honestly, a lot of the time it's super cheap and they offer half day and whole day experiences.

Have fun!