Is Tae Kwon Do actually "useless" against other styles?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Fluidz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Krauss

Krauss New Member

I see what you did there :)

2. Spirit Warrior

Spirit Warrior Valued Member

come on now, if your performing a side kick it wont be limited to that small part of the foot is it?

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

That's where all the force is going anyway, ideally. As my sensei taught me, it helps to think about pointing your toes to the ground. It gets your foot in the right position.

4. Spirit Warrior

fair enough

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Why? It isn't any smaller than the back of the heel, ball of the foot, etc.

6. Spirit Warrior

i've already accepted the point read the post

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I've been following this thread based on a purely casual interest in the history of TKD (I have never trained in it nor know a whole lot besides what I learn here about it), but I am a capoeirista (16 years) and a historian (currently in a PhD program) and I have to say that what you say about assumptions about capoeira history is oversimplified to the point of being inaccurate. Some have made assumptions like the one's you suggest and have been wrong as the roots of capoeira are not in West African, but Central African traditions. Actual historians who study this (T.J. Desch-Obi, Maya Talmon-Chvaicer, Robert Holloway, etc.) follow elaborate methodologies, review primary sources, do field research, etc.

Though some correlations of the kind you outline above do bear out--actual historical research is often far more complex and, as StuartA has already pointed out, must follow the evidence rather than one's presuppositions. Just wanted to put that out there for you to consider in light of the present debate.

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

West or Central, is it really that "critical"? (No disrespect)

9. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I`m not telling you or anyone else how to kick... full side, sole, heel.. up to you/them.. I was simply pointing out that the 'heel' vs 'footsword' debate is really a non-starter as Gen Choi's 'footsword' is 1/3 of the side of the foot, which is virtually the heel anyway, so would have the same/similar properties when hitting some anyway.

Funny(ish) story. When I was taking my 3rd degree, out the blue I was told to break two bricks with a stamp, just like the picture from the book posted. The examiner just pulled them out of a carrier bag by his side - I had never tried the break before, so a bit stressed cos it could spell a pass or fail for the grading (as I was doing okay up til that point), I forgot about the 1/3 part and just stamped as hard as I could. My first stamp hit with the middle part of the foot sword (the middle of my foot) and the bricks didnt break, but it did hurt my foot a little, due to the pressure placed on my ankle as I made contact - then it clicked and I used the correct part and broke them a lot easier.

Stuart

10. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Probibly not for someone just practicing it, but it probibly is for someone researching his art (as Dormindo is) and wanting to know the history in a correct a form as possible.

Stuart

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You might want to reconsider your posting style, Spirit Warrior. The current one isn't going to win you many supporters.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Why wouldn't it be? People debate, ad nauseum, the differences between Okinawan karate and Japanese karate. Why would the African continent get less detailed attention?

13. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

No disrespect taken. It really is as the history of capoeira is not just academic but has had sociopolitical implications in Brazil's history. But both Stuarts (ap and A) nailed it--it's most important to we historians (and many mestres) and not so much to general practitioners.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

My last name actually begins with B. Perhaps on the taekwondo forum, I should just go by "StuartB." :)

Though, given the choice between listening to StuartA and StuartB, who are you gonna listen to, seriously?!

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yes. Zealots debate Japanese and Brazilian JJ, quality swords from different cultures...etc.,

16. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I agree. To me history is what happened, when, where did it happen & who made it happen, all simply fact based as actual occurrences. The how & why is usually what heats things up. I am simply interested in the occurrences & am more than willing to credit all those that deserve our thanks.

17. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Quote: Originally Posted by dormindo
    "the roots of capoeira are not in West African, but Central African traditions."

I don't think you are being disrespectful & you are probably right, as it is not really that critical to many people. However if the statement was an African tradition, it wouldn't be a mis-statement, but it would also lack more detail. But to label it West & not Central, I would say would be critical for those in the West & historians, as history must record what happened & where it happened as accurately as possible, as I feel we must preserve information forever into the future!
    ;)

18. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

The link that TKD has to Taek Kyon is virtually non-existent. It was done to cover the fact that TKD was developed in Korea by Koreans that studied Japanese karate. Taek Kyon is a Korean term, with no Chinese written characters. Taek Kyon was always written with the Korean Hangul alphabet, hence it bolsters their claim as an indigenous KMA.
    Taek Kyon has an affinity to using the legs, which some say is the Korean preference. Gen. Choi & GM Hwang Kee claimed some exposure to it. Neither claim was ever verified independently, not that this would have been possible given the times & circumstances of the period!
    Gen. Choi himself, using his own words, claimed to train under his Caligraphy teacher who was also supposed to be a Taek Kyon Master. Earlier reports clim Gen. Choi was a master at it as well. Apparently he also used this to show he was so senior in the KMAs world at the time. In fact he was among the top 7 or 8 future TKD early practitioners. This can be asserted based upon his teaching of karate in Japan, before any other Kwans operated in Korea! But Gen. Choi later back tracked on these assertions, to he was shown some techniques as he was so small & frail as a youth, to his teacher told him stories about Taek Kyon!

TKD came from Koreans who studied Japanese karate, plain & simple. It has evolved into its own unique KMA or martial sport, in several ways, with the 2 main ones ITF & WTF!

19. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I hope readers find the above answer helpful to answer or address this!

Yes erasing Gen. Choi from history helps hide the connection to karate, as Gen. Choi always spoke about it. It also helps the connection to the 2,000 year old myth, because if Gen. Choi was involved, it simply couldn't be a 2,000 year old activity. But perhaps the least understood reason that Gen. Choi has suffered from repeated attempts to erase him from history is because of his loud vocal opposition to the military dictators of the south & his introduction of TKD to the north, along with his embrace of NK.

Without Gen. Choi, there is no TKD! jmnsho

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That hardly sounds like zealotry.