Is size and weight a factor of a outcome of a fight or skill and training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bubble99, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

Is size and weight a factor of a outcome of a fight or skill and training.

I keep reading conflicting information on thee internet, some people say if you small and skinny you cannot win a fight over a 160,190,250 or 300 pound person or more. Some people say if you have skill and training you can.

Krav Maga and ‪jujitsu‬ seems to be especially design for smaller skinny guys or smaller skinny girls. You can tell looking at the youtube clips of skinny guys and skinny girls. As street thugs, bikers ,bouncers and bodybuilders and big guys would mot be taking martial Arts.

Any karate,Krav Maga or ‪jujitsu‬ out there for a small and skinny person? :dunno:

These programs before seem to be more for self defense and smaller skinny person.

Krav Maga

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmW56eKVgVM"]Women of Krav Maga - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86tMr8uW5M"]Aikido vs real-life street attack - YouTube[/ame]

‪jujitsu‬
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQWEi8XbII"]aikido v jujitsu training - YouTube[/ame]

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It is a factor. The larger and stronger your opponent is the better your technique has to be. There will come a point where that gap is so large that no amount of skill is likely going to help you. The man below, who most will recognize as The Mountain from Game of Thrones (Hafthór Júlíus Björnsson), stands at 6'9" and weighs about 430 lbs. The man is a world class power lifter and beast of a man. Could I beat him in a fight barehanded? No. Straight up, the gap between his size/strenght and my size/strength/skill is too large. That is where you want a weapon.

Martial arts doesn't make you unstoppable, it merely increases your chances. In that regard it can serve you well depending on how you train.

[​IMG]

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

hes a strong man competitor and ex pro basketball player.
    you couldnt even run from this guy, he would jump over buildings and hunt you down.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

there's also a video of him training boxing and getting absolutely owned :p

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Strength, endurance, speed, toughness and skill set are all factors in a fight. The man listed above is a giant for sure, but takeing him down could be easier than you think. If your smart you can defeat him if you allow his stature to terrify you then you will surely lose.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23LR6pWEpKU&spfreload=10"]Hafþór Björnsson (Strongman) in the boxing ring - YouTube[/ame]

Boom.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Björnsson's sparring opponent ain't exactly Tiny Tim, hisself, is he? I don't think he did badly - considering he's not a boxer and it takes time to get over the reluctance to be hit in the face ( Brock Lesnar never really did get over it, IIRC )

I think he's potential

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Watching that I definitely did not get the impression that I would have been able to keep up with him (5'9"-5'10" isn, 190lbs).

9. belltoller

But you're a MAist. - Oh, sorry, you don't think you'd be able to keep up with him. If you sparred by the ruleset of your particular MA, you might. I wouldn't sell yourself too short. 190lbs - I'd consider that a good lad, when trained and motivated!

I wouldna been able to but I have nearly 40yrs of smoking to thank for me wonderful cardio.

Being for the benefit of illustrating the OP's original question.

I canna think of no other better clip than one I recall from UFC 1 - as cartoonish as it is...if I can find it now...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ba2B7icSU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ba2B7icSU[/ame]

10. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

I never tire of watching that one.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Attributes plus skill equals ability.

If your tiny, train skill, and hit the weights, anything else is just excuses.

12. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I would agree; he looked like he was pushing his opponent around a bit in the first round, and he got a neat hit in at the end.

You could say the video sums up the value of size in a fight; definitely an advantage, but not necessarily decisive.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Why does it have to be an "or"? Size and weight and skill and training are all decisive factors in the outcome of a fight.

14. belltoller

It like watching a cartoon of atom ant suplexing an elephant.

15. Bubble99

Bubble99 Valued Member

So how can small and skinny guy or small and skinny girl stop self from getting robbed,knapped,raped ,beaten or worse?

I notice a lot of the martial arts schools around my area have lot of small and skinny people.

I read Krav Maga and ‪jujitsu‬ or basic karate would be good for self defense.

The small and skinny people are more targeted on streets.

Do you think martial arts is good or too much myth among the public you take it and you can defend your self.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Bubble99, welcome to MAP.

Take a look at this thread. It was written to answer some of the questions you've raised.

A lot of self defence is about awareness and that's always a better starting poiint, whatever your size.

17. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Being a big guy myself I have beaten bb strikers and grapplers. I have been be owned by a little girl with mad skillZ And no Belt. both size and skill matter. Do not let either one give you a.big head.

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

A factor? Yes.

The factor (as in the only one)? No.

19. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

What can a smaller peson do to stay safe? Use good judgement is the most important factor. Try not to put your self in a vulnerable position. Maximising what your body can do for it sizeis also a good idea. Working on your strength and fitness can have a huge impact on your capabilities and doesn't need to have a big impact on your size/weight.

I would also like to know why you think smaller people are more targeted on 'the street'? In my experience that doesn't seem to be the case. Size doesn't seem to be a factor in predatory targeting, being unaware and being unlucky are what gets people caught out (imho).

I have also seen several incidents where being larger seems to attract more attention and increase the chances of a violent incident. Some people will pick on larger people to try and prove them selves. That's based on my experience working on doors so may no apply outside of a club/pub environment.

In conclusion, get strong, get fit, be smart and train hard. That's all anyone can do :) Id put my money on a smaller fitter, stronger, smarter and better trained person than Some one who is just big any day of the week. Except when you get to thor bjornson big but at least you can see him coming a mile away lol

20. belltoller

Dead-on, badger