Is self training in the morning worth it?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so im back in the uk abd after deciding to switcg to muay thai for a bit im struggling to find a full time gym nearby (deptford).

So I wanna keep training twice a day but most places seam to only be evening classes.

Can I do the morning training by myself? Was thinking of doing something like this on my own punchbag. Or is it essential that all my training this early in is done with a trainer.

I will still be training in the evening with a trainer at least 3 times per week.

Run/cycle 30 mins
    5 rounds shadow (3 min rounds)
    10 rounds bag (3 min rounds)
    100 teeps/knee/leftkick/rightkick

Grond and Mitlov like this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You can keep fit easily enough in your own time. If you want to get better and you've got the spare cash you could ask about private lessons which are normally at the time and place of the customers discretion and agreement.

Thomas and Grond like this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Absolutely yes.
    In fact (and I'm speaking in the context of regular classes for feedback from an instructor), home practice is encouraged.

Thomas, Grond and pgsmith like this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

The toughest thing about morning training is getting out of bed.

Deptford is a bit of a random place. Im sure theres a muaythai /boxing place there. Kinda drawing a blank...
    Peacocks is Shadwell I think. KO is Bethnall Green

Grond likes this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Home training to supplement (not replace) formal instruction is a part of every martial art I've ever trained in. Bagwork, shadowboxing, forms, footwork drills, repetitively training kicks, etc (where applicable to a particular art, of course). These sorts of drills at home, reinforcing and practicing what you're learning in class, will make you a better martial artist faster.

Thomas and Grond like this.
  6. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think it is good to train at home, with the following conditions:
    - You were shown, in person, how to do the things you are practicing. (E.g., someone who has never trained boxing shouldn't just watch a video and start practicing boxing on their own at home, without any in-person training from a qualified instructor.)
    - If you aren't already highly skilled at the thing you are practicing, make sure you have someone who is highly skilled (i.e., your instructor) observing you on a regular basis. Otherwise you may end up with bad form/bad habits/etc. Once you reach a high skill level, this is less important but still valuable.

So the short summary would be: Before practicing something on your own get basic instruction in it, and don't only practice that thing on your own unless you are already highly skilled at it.

Thomas, Grond, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I have a relatively simple formula for keeping up with a morning regimen, consistently.. While you're home, focus on the fundamentals, most of which is what they call "road work", the boring stuff that makes all your techniques better across the board. Save more technical matters for when you're in the presence of somebody who knows more than you about the subject. Basically, keep the morning to what you've already mastered, like jogging or bagwork or pushups or whatever it is you do first. Me, I like to wake up and get to jumping a rope. But whatever you do it should be a focus exercise, something you need to concentrate on. For you it's probably as you said a mix of cardio, bagwork, and shadowboxing (that's Rocky Balboa's Baby Creed Mix, by the way).

It's like jumping into a pool of cold water, you have to just immerse yourself. There is also something called sleep inertia which will interfere will any sort of morning routine. This comes about from anything resulting in sleep deprivation and interrupted sleep (apnea, insomnia, alcohol before bed, e.g.). The result is waking up to headaches, fatigue, and poor cognition all of which will work against your training desire. Use recovery days wisely, if you try to do seven day sprints you will flame out fast. That's another reason I think morning workouts should be limited to relatively moderate intensity stuff that you already know forward and back.

pgsmith and Mitlov like this.
  8. Andy Defuson

Andy Defuson Banned Banned

Yes! spending your morning in boxing is the way of getting experienced in short time. While always there is a space of trainer in every fitness plan. I think morning is the best time of any physical activity. So doing such training will definitely pay off.

Grond likes this.
  9. KevinFrancis

KevinFrancis New Member

Self training in the morning is a great time to train provided you warm up before hand. When you wake up and get out of bed is when you
    your body is the most stiff, so it helps with avoiding injury to yourself, especially your joints.
    Instead of me explaining about a good way to do this, go watch the You Tube video by David Bao on "Tai Chi Warm Up Exercise Tutorial".

Grond likes this.
  10. Andy Defuson

Andy Defuson Banned Banned

Better to train yourself with a trainer. If you like morning time for training then finding a trainer which can train in the morning is the best idea. Morning is the best time for me to improve my stamina. After taking a good sleep I feel fresh during training, which helps me in gradually increasing the intensity of training. My trainer guides me about how to prevent injuries during exercises, especially in the gym. I had pain during weight lifting, the reason was my poor posture and not using lifting grips while lifting heavyweights. My trainer corrected my posture and also send me this guide (Advertising link deleted) for proper knowledge of how to wear lifting grips properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2020
  11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: Andy, please follow our Terms of Service regarding Advertising. Links like you posted above are not allowed. Please contact list owner Mitch for advertising rates.