Is Mixed Martial Arts Plagarism?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Indie12, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's a discussion forum. We're discussing. That's fine. Nobody is being forced to participate or even pay attention.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This just isn't even true. This literally has never happened in my experience and I've been following MMA since before it was even called MMA.
    Literally everyone knows (and acknowledges) that such submission holds made their way into MMA via, primarily BJJ (and hence via Judo/Jiudo/Japanese Ju Jutsu) but also Sambo (which also has Judo in its background), Shootwrestling/boxing, catch as catch can, Luta Livre and other grappling arts that precede the UFC (as the term MMA didn't exist before the UFC...when exactly it became "the" term is not fully know IIRC).

You are tilting at windmills my man (and I made that phrase up myself...I did not plagiarise it).

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sambo. How could I forget sambo?! (e.g., Oleg Taktarov)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Perhaps MMA should be renamed "BraJuBoThaiSamKaKickKwonWrestle" to appease Mr Indie? :)
    That seems to be the way you acknowledge your lineage.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Taktarov? How can you forget Fedor!? :)

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen and don't know much about Fedor. I knew he was Russian and that's about it. But there you go. Clearly Fedor is crediting his lineage as well. Even if I'm too much of a shut-in to have heard about it. :D

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

20 press ups and never set foot in the MMA forum again!!

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don't worry. If I did 20 press-ups feeling the way I'm feeling at the moment, I won't be setting foot anywhere again. ;)

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly...Fedor when he was in his prime was a sight to behold.
    Deathly calm, almost detached. But damn he threw with venom. :)

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Looks like I'll be misspending company time on YouTube today. :D

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I love this meme about Fedor. :)

[​IMG]

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

And we're discussing whether MMA is plagiarism. I half expect my browser to autocorrect plagiarism to something else.

Is it MMA, plagiarism or both that the OP doesn't understand?

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

As AP Oweyn said, no one's forcing you to be a part of that discussion. If you want to be involved great, if you don't then cool. But if you're only going to reply to dog on the OP, silly as I might find the subject, then there's not much point bothering.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Couldn't say. I'm not the OP. But what I can do is participate in the discussion. And, if I hit a point where I think the discussion is ludicrous, I can leave. Provided it remains within ToS, it's staying where it is.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty much everything Hannibal said except be agreed with the "MMA is basically training for cage fighting".

No, no, and no again. Training in mixed martial arts (which nobody really does btw, we train a few martial arts seperately and combine them and add to them in an MMA class) is training for the ruleset. You could fight in a ring and it would be the same thing. The fact that you still refer to it as cage fighting makes me presume that you know about as much as a 90's wing Chun "master". That term is so out dated it makes me cringe every time I see it.

16. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Mma hasn't stolen anything, as a ruleset it really can't steal technique per say. As a rule set it doesn't teach technique. It only allows or disallows techniques during the event. Has mma stolen rules? Maybe you could say that but frankly its an inaccurate characterization of how the rule set emmerged.

The old must be preserved, the new must continue to borrow from and reformat the old in order to advance martial arts systems of the future.
    The better preserved Tma and older hybrid systems are will determine the effectiveness they continue to have in modern systems of combat.
    This is not limited to technique alone but also must apply to rule sets and training methods as well as combat principles such as the concepts of range and timeing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  17. bodyshot

On the subject of training for competition in an mma event some individuals like to use the isolation training method which involves takeing more than one class often from more than one instructor, the classes are sometimes traditional Martial arts such as boxing or judo, this approach can hardly be accused of theft of intellectual property in even a mild sense.
    Other methods of training for an mma event include hybrid arts such as Brazilian jujitsu or no GI jujitsu in this case plagiarism is not found in my opnion.
    Still some schools offer a complete system of combat formatted specifically for Emma events, these schools cover ground, striking and clinch range techniques from a variety of martial arts, this is often a wallet friendly approach to training for an mma event.
    A small group of martial arts called combat systems or combat arts are a unique nitch of martial arts that function in the mma arena although were not designed specifically for mma events. These hybrid systems are sometimes trained like an mma style and sometimes trained like a Tma. Again plagiarism is a strong word for characterizing how these arts or systems came about.
    In conclusion, there are many manners and methods in which one can train for an mma event success is largely dependant on the individuals ability to apply his skills regardless of where he obtained them.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I'm unsure if this is because this is still a relatively early era of MMA (compared to boxing) or something to do with time constraints or maybe the profit provided in teaching multiple styles but i often notice that schools that solely teach classes geared toward MMA competitions don't produce very good fighters among the amateur and semi-pro circuit.

but its all about fun i guess, most of us (from our 20's onward) are too old to go pro in MMA comps.

19. bodyshot

I'm to old to fight since I'm forty. Some of the complete system schools are great I think the shamrock brothers have a huge school in the southwest that has produced some top notch pro am guys.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I took it as generic referencing for the sport, but yeah you are right