Is martial art useless?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mugen Zero, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

hahaha just a joke, me and my other friend are the only other second degree black belts in taekwondo aside from the problematic friend. Just labelled us as masters due to the reference to star wars :D

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

:p

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

That is why you fail.

Baza

4. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

But anyways thank you all fellow MAPpers for helping to guide me to finding a solution to this problem, I shall take the necessary steps to confront him of his mistakes. If i were to counter his insults towards martial arts i'll just show him the beautiful text that wooden hare had written :D

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf herder!

These Star Wars quotes? All too easy.... :p

6. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Who you calling scruffy lookin?!!

Baza

7. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahh just wondering anyone or someone you know ever thought that being a martial artist is a privilege? like an elite status, I don't but i just can't help but wonder if there are such individuals.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

What? You mean the type who has to wear a size 12 hat and has a holier than thou attitude because he practices some possibly antiquated fighting system,or a Do? Nah, I've never ever met anyone like that.:rolleyes:

9. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

:confused: size 12 hat? don't know any celebrity or martial artist with that description though. whose that just wondering?

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sounds a bit like Seagal to me

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Yes.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Sorry.Exaggerated hat size alludes to having a "big head" (=ego) figuratively speaking.

I dunno.Are we talking Post Modern Martial Art or Neo-Impressionist Martial Art?

Granted,Cubism related Martial Art is these days championed mainly by squares looking for more depth in their practice.

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Speak for yourself, I have a tendency to turn green every now and then and smash a demi-god in the face with my fist!

14. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

there is no such thing as bad martial arts, only bad martial artists

from my own personal experience, i find as a martial artist that it is much easier to control the pace and set the rhythum of a situation as the aggressor, and much more difficult to defend yourself as a passivist, unless you are long-winded

15. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

No.

There are quite a few bad martial arts, if you define bad as not effective for fighting. The reason they are bad martial arts TODAY is that they've been watered down from their original methods. OR in some special cases, the arts themselves are fake and fabricated by con artists.

We don't need to name them, they are legion. But just note that they a) do exist and that b) your claim is a common logical fallacy and should be discarded.

There are bad martial arts AND bad martial artists, and sometimes they are found together. This is a (verifiable) fact, and I can name names so let's not belabor the point.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Attached Files:

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You know what really ticks me off about this thread?

Every time I see the title my mind screams "ARE! ARE not IS!!!" but then the OP didn't pluralize Martial Art . . . so the correct word would be IS. :cry:

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

#GrammarNazi

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Yellow Bamboo?

Watch them in order, K?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnvETs4F6Q"]yellow bamboo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ykNZ7rAcw"]Yellow Bamboo vs reality - YouTube[/ame]

20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

In this case, you are right on both counts. "Are" should be the article, and "art" should be plural. ("Are martial arts useless?") Glad to see I'm not the only grammar nazi on MAP. :) The interwebz are very frustrating places for me as a grammar nazi. :/ (I especially hate it when I make careless mistakes)