Is martial art useless?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mugen Zero, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

It's not me that has this perception, it's a friend of mine, ironically he's a 2nd degree taekwondo black belt like me, then in a fit of his rage when i just mentioned a martial arts musical (the last dragon), he exploded then said that martial arts is useless since it doesn't really allow you to defend yourself from anything. umm although i can clearly tell him that martial arts has a lot of moves to actually defend yourself from a lot of situations, (well obviously not from a machine gun), but do you MAPers think that our martial arts is becoming useless since criminals now almost have full access to weapons?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Your friend is being overly dramatic and overly simplistic.

But how you answer the question rather depends on what you think martial arts are for now. What are their purpose?

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

to defend yourself and to better yourself in terms of mentally and physically. isn't it?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yes a good portion of MA is useless from an SD point of view.

Keep in mind though there is a heck of a lot if nonsense out there.

5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

SD?

6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Self defence

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

SD = Self Defense

8. Hannibal

Just pipped at the post by Tom...

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Your training is as useful as you make it. My high kicks have worked very well in several fights or self-defence scenarios (whichever definition you prefer) because that is what I trained long and hard to perfect. I have also had my ass thoroughly beaten, when I didn't have room to kick and was held down while getting punched in the head. But this:

is rather silly, no? We're martial artists. Not Marvel's Avengers.

10. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahh sorry still trying to get used to acronyms forgive my blurriness :D
    then what are the SD moves for then?

11. Hannibal

err...SD

Sorry not entirely sure what you are asking there

12. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

good point, can't argue with you there.

13. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Self defense? Now your making me confuse :confused:

14. Dean Winchester

We aren't? :cry:

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

One thing that any martial arts can teach is that on any given day anyone can loose and that violence should only be used in self defence when absolutely necessary.

As for how to tell if violence is absolutely necessary, that is a very difficult question to answer. A good martial arts club will promote discussion about this.

16. Dean Winchester

To get the unsuspecting public through the door and reinforce the ego of the instructors.

Sorry I'm feeling especially cynical today.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I would take this at face value concerning his experience.

i.e. his training is useless and doesn't allow him to defend himself from anything.

18. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Are martial arts useless because criminals have access to weapons ? no why would that be the case.

Yes criminals have access to weapons, but since Im not out fighting crime like captain america this isnt an issue for me. Martial arts are good if you are attacked by non "criminals" though i.e the dude who has had one too many and decides he doesnt like you, or the chav who likes MMA trying to prove himself to a mate etc. Or even if you have to stop someone attacking another, or invading your home.

Like the guy who stopped those two guys stealing his diesal, he wrestled the pole off them and stopped them (though he went to far I think) so training for a physical hand to hand attack is usefull. obviously you arent gona use it if a guy pulls a gun on you, but hey how do you defend against that? even if you also have one, he has his pointed at you already.

19. Rick Holly

Rick Holly Valued Member

I carry a jack in my car and a spare tire. I hope I never have to use it but it gives me some comfort knowing it's there if I need it. If I have a major collision I don't think a jack will be of any use but hopefully I'll try my best to avoid a major collision.
    I carry my MA inside in case I find a need for it. Hopefully I hope it will never happen but I find comfort in knowing that ability is there if I need it. Someone might pull a gun on me one day but I'll try to avoid being anywhere that that might happen.
    If you are a martial artist and you worry about sombody pulling a gun or knife on you, you may want to reconsider the places you are hanging out at.

20. Hannibal

Your question was

And my answer was "Self Defense"

That was why I did not understand what you were asking