is kung fu for self defence or killing?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Hatori Banzo, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I doubt that

Your instructor in Australia talks about warrior lifestyle and killing people....and he teaches tai chi

Jackanory anyone?

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Definitely.

Unless its Crocodile Dundee Tai Chi.

Or maybe he fought an international fight to the death tournament after his secret teacher died in a mysterious fire...

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

this is how i feel, pretty much. i train bjj for self-protection, specifically for what i see is a worst-case scenario: me on the ground with somebody on top of me. i'm attempting to learn how to survive that. all the other stuff like spider guards and berimbolos and de la riva's and what have you, while fun, isn't exactly what i'm looking for for survival.

very different for what i was training for when i did hapkido, which admittedly was to be 'the d34dly'. but we all learn over time and grow up, no?

i love the camaraderie, i love the workout, i love the fact that to compete i need to stay at a healthy weight. but if i was only looking for those things, i could do crossfit or yoga or something. there's no reason to do martial arts unless you want to learn something combat related, in my opinion. the wonderful thing is that the human experience is so wonderfully varied, we can all do whatever we want.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I spent last night training in CACC with Harry Smith and had Brad "Bonesaw" Cardinal as my training partner (name dropping without shame I tells ya!!) - in terms of "t3h de4dly" both are classed as "only sport" fighters.....in terms of "can kick your ass" both are pretty likely to manage that

Ask either of them why they do it and they will answer "because we enjoy it".

5. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I don't know. I don't have many reasons to do any sport apart from fun, yet I have fun just when fighting. If I get to learn something to defend myself, that's good, but I really don't care.

So true. :hat:

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i totally get "doing it for fun". i guess i should've also said, while i train for self protection, i have a lot of fun doing it. cheers!

7. iaw-maidstone

iaw-maidstone Valued Member

Ah yes agreed with all of that , but I would rather spend my time enjoying an effective martial art with friends.;)

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just to ask again... How many people has your instructor killed?

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Charles Manson: Kung Fu Master

10. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

This is in bad taste and I apologise in advance.

I see your Charles Manson and raise you one Dr Harold Shipman

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Karate! :D :hat::evil:

12. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

I'm sorry but have to say it-

If this is true, your instructor is a fool.
    If you made it up, you've made your instructor look like fool.
    As has been asked before, how many people has he killed?? And if he has killed in the military for example, how many people has he killed with his Kung Fu?

What's the criteria for joining? How can you judge whether someone will find killing easy or not? Is there some kind of gang initiation that takes place? How many life and death situations does the average Joe experience?

From what you've said, an average person who decides to learn martial arts to protect themselves or loved ones would be frowned upon because they don't find it easy to kill? Most people SHOULD find it difficult to kill, that's what keeps most other people alive

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Kobudo, watch the masked profanity please.

14. Wildlings

Slice-fu vs Slice-do. Which will win?

15. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Apologies - Fool is a good alternative!!

16. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Slice-do. It must be Slice-do. :hat: :cool:

17. Wildlings

Place your bets! :cool: :D

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

slice-jutsu is clearly more deadly than that wimpy slice-do

19. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Neither have anything on poisonjutsu.