is kung fu as effective?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by iammartialarts, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Who needs steroids when you know kung fu? Riki-Oh sure didn't need them.

[​IMG]

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Body Building Kung Fu

3. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

BOLO!!!!!!!!

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

And Bruce Lee

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

What about Liu Kang?

6. Samurai Jay

Samurai Jay master of all weapons

Hey everyone computer illiterate Jay needs to know how to add a signature.
    Thanks

7. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Jay should ask in the help section instead of some random kung fu thread!:hat:

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It'd probably be a lot more helpful if you posted in the correct forum first, so that way a moderator would be more likely to check it rather than any old random thread you choose.

4.10 Posting in the Appropriate Forum:
    Please post your topics in the most appropriate forum. If you post a thread that would be more appropriate in another forum, a moderator will move it for you. However, please do not make the moderators do this for you. Use your judgment to determine which forum best suits your topic. If you are dealing with a topic that could appropriately fit in more than one forum, please pick the one you feel is closest to your topic.

As far as where it is, see the link up top that says "FAQ"? FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions. Probably a good place to start.

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Is THIS an example of behavior according to the Code of Bushido?

Nay friends,methink 'tis an attempt to infiltrate and sabotage a thread in the Kung Fu forum by a ronin.

Wait...infiltrate,sabotage...oh no...he's a NINJA!

We're doomed!

I want my Mommy!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. Samurai Jay

No dude it's Samurai Jay

yes i want your mum too :eek: :D

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Not liking the attitude. Consider this as a warning.

Thanks for the permission, though not necessary.

12. melb

melb Banned Banned

I think this thread is going nowhere

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

A little late, but in an attempt to try and get this back on a civil track....

[​IMG]

Chang Tung Sheng was a practitioner of Tai Chi and Hsing-i and Shuai Jiao. Looks pretty good to me

14. melb

melb Banned Banned

Oh man..why post a picture of a chinese guy with muscles...he couldve got them from carrying the water from the well..and we all know that muscles dont equate to skill...so WHY post it?? What purpose does it serve?

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

physical skill is simply the optimization of muscle use for a particular task. the more muscle you have, the more effective you will be with a given amount of skill.

16. rain21

rain21 Valued Member

as I know non of the martial arts is not effective so much

17. Hannibal

Are you being deliberately obstinate and thick or is it by accident?

I named the boxer specifically and listed his style. Clearly that would involve too much work for you to look him up so here you are:

Chang Tung Sheng (1908–1986) was a Hui martial artist. He was one of the best-known Chinese wrestling (also known as Shuai jiao) practitioners and teachers.

Born in 1908 in Baoding, Hebei, Chang was remarkably strong among his peers from his early life. Chang's family roasted chickens, and their business provided sufficient income to allow him private lessons with Zhang Fenyen a local businessman and Shuai Chiao master who practiced baoding shuai jiao as instructed by Ping Jinyi.

Chang distinguished himself early among Zhang's pupils as a promising martial artist. This led to close personal attention and training in areas normally reserved for more senior students. Zhang taught Chang unorthodox training drills and methods to aid him in developing his shuai jiao skill, including using leg sweeps to drive grasshoppers into the air where the correctly positioned hand could easily catch them.

Chang competed in 1933 in the 5th National Kuo Shu Tournament (also called the "All China Full Contact Tournament") and won the heavyweight division over several hundred other practitioners. Now nicknamed the "Iron Butterfly," Chang would go on to win numerous challenge matches before entering China's armed services - traveling across the Kuomintang controlled areas of China to seek out other shuai jiao practitioners in order to test his skills. He may also have first started learning xingyi in this period.

He taught as the youngest faculty member in the Nanjing Central Kuoshu Institute and exchanged knowledge with other martial arts experts. He created his own variation of Tai Chi and xingyi, Chang Tai Chi, based on Yang style tai chi chuan, xingyi and his shuai jiao knowledge.

Throughout the Second Sino-Japanese War and World War II, of which China became a part, Chang instructed large numbers of Chinese Nationalist troops in Shuai Chiao (including the elite Red Wall paratroopers), while continuing to fend of numerous challenges. When not otherwise occupied, Chang visited several POW camps to test his Shuai Chiao against Japanese practitioners of judo, jujutsu and karate. Chang represented the Army in 1948 when he was victorious in a nationwide competition for shuai jiao, Chin Na, grappling and throwing.

When Kuomintang troops under Chiang Kai-shek were driven from mainland China to Taiwan by the Communist rebels, Chang left for Taiwan. On the establishment of the National Police University, in Taipei in the Republic of China, Chang was given a position of Senior Instructor in unarmed training by Presidential edict. He taught there for over 30 years.

Never defeated in martial arts challenge matches, Chang died in 1986 of aggressive esophageal cancer.

Skilled enough for ya?

18. Hannibal

This is him aged around 70

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O33kCCXlrc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O33kCCXlrc&feature=related[/ame]

19. Samurai Jay

I agree with this but i would like to ask how many factor's determine a fight
    eg. speed, cardio, size, strenght, environment, reaction & skill.

I would add that MA skills can be 3 different things
    1. striking 2. takedowns 3. ground game

20. melb

melb Banned Banned

Im making a real effort to be calm..remind me again..what was the trigger for you to post a pic of some old kung fu guy? Their family roasted chickens..just one little question...why do you think anyone is going to recognise or care about the names of people who are long deceased