is kung fu as effective?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by iammartialarts, Aug 31, 2009.

1. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

I've taken akd, ksw, tkd, judo, bjj, and kendo, and then i took a wing chun class and it seemed way more effective on street, plus i thought it was more fun.
    maybe it was the teacher, but im going to china next year and want to do it and maybe other kung fu, are shaolin kung fu like the animals as effective?

(sorry i don't know much about kung fu styles)

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol.... how?
    Have you actually employed it on the street? Seriously.

Before you buy into the 'effectiveness' of WC too much... try it out in a situation.. then see what you think. Otherwise it's primarily theory.:hat:

3. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Hell, I'd like to see him explain just how he employed kendo "on the street".

4. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Train anything to a certain point it will be effective, becouse its the intent or attitude that defines the outcome to some extent.
    Do you think theres dudes in China that could kick our asses? LOL Ofcourse there is, so its the dude not the style :) (answering origional question)

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I don't believe you took BJJ before.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

wtf is akd?

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Maybe short for "aikido"?

If he's only 18 and already dabbling in 6-7 different arts though, chances are he won't stick too long with Wing Chun either.

8. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I think the word we're looking for here is dilettante.

9. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

dilettante is a nice woody sounding word.

10. Ikarus

Ikarus Valued Member

Wow, so much for constructive feedback. He came asking a question. So what if he's 18? So what if he's been through a few different MAs. He didn't ask for commentary on his life.

My experience with Kung Fu is limited to Hung Gar. I really, really enjoy it. As someone mentioned above, it comes down more to the fighter than the style. But in my reading and experience there seems to be a unified consensus that Hung Gar is pretty effective. I think it's one of the most wide spread forms of Kung Fu as well (at least that's what I've heard).

11. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Ikarus, I don't think the problem is that he is 18 or that he has dabbled in several arts. The problem IMO is how the post is written. Comments like:

and:

Lead me to question the TS's actual knowledge of martial arts (as someone else said, did he really test WC out "on da streets"? and does he really think that kung fu will make him fight like an animal??) and whether he is actually looking for knowledge or not (several of these "is x effective???" threads seem to be mostly for the purpose of winding people up).

12. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

I felt the same about shoes with velcro straps then I learnt how to do up my laces

Of course if you stuck at something long enough you should be able to adapt your style to any situation or at least be knowledgeable enough to AVOID situations on the street. Just my 2p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  13. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Calling someone a dilettante is constructive feedback.....
    If they're a dilettante.

Saying that someone did or said something stupid is constructive feedback....
    If they did or said something stupid.

My favorite thing about the martial arts is that they are absolutely honest.
    Not in a nice, polite, we're all wonderful and everyone's opinion matters kind of way.
    But in a real, true, facts are stubborn things kind of way.

I've been criticized here at MAP for displaying a superior attitude, or being condescending....
    but I can live with that.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  14. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I think you have gotten the whole wrong end of the stick here. All he is saying is that he feels WC in his expereince and compared to the other arts he has studied is better suited to him. As for the animal quote, maybe he is talking about the animal styles of kung fu? That is what I understood him to mean.

15. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

Seems like the OP answered his own question.

If you found Wing chun effective then go with it.

Wing chun doesnt offer as much meditative or health benefits as elaborate animal style forms though.

Wing chun is a scrapping art, it teaches you how to scrap.

Some people click with such a mentality, others do not.

I found Wing chun effective too... A combination of regular running and chainpunching will enable you to pounce on someone enough atleast to make them see your not an easy target.

16. iammartialarts

lol you guys are funny

sorry about that what i meant to say was it seemed like it would be more affective on the street. Ive never used it yet, but it seems more simple and direct. About the kung fu, i was asking about the animal styles. like dragon, tiger, snake and all them.. like i said i dont know much about it.

Bronze statue-i take kendo for footwork and movement (proper way to swin without pure force, etc.)

Infrazael- I don't believe you have taken bjj before

Kuma- no if i like it in china as much as i did here than yes i will do it but probably not from the same teacher. I do a lot of different martial arts and go to different schools because for one a lot of teachers are just no good in my opinion. All they do is go through a book theyve memorized and show you techniques.... i could do that on my own. some teachers just have you throwing punches and kicks half the class and then forms the next half.. .so i quit. and in most the schools ive been to all they care about is wonderful snazzy belts. for all i care they can give me a rainbow colored belt.

what i look for in martial arts are the principles i really dont care if one is going to teach me a double flying roundhouse 360 ninja kick. i want them to teach me how to move naturally, efficiently, philosophy, the good stuff.

to most of you people (especially slip lol) GROW UP
    dude... you guys are like in your late 30's why do you feel the need to counter everything everybody says.

Even if somebody is making up a story like them beating someone up why do you feel the need to counter them always and prove them wrong, why not help them. unless your just too small and frightened of everything and so you post on here all the time to make up for not being able to do it for real

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  17. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Guess you told us.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If this is what you're looking for, then let me be 100% brutally honest (a common character trait of mine). Dojo hopping is not going to get you what you're looking for if this is what you're seeking. Until you can understand the basic techniques of an art, you have no chance of understanding the principles and that takes lots and lots of training in that art's techniques under their doctrine. If you're just casually passing by, any knowledge you might pick up would be superficial at best. That is a major downfall of any martial artist: talking more than training.

If you want what you're looking for then the answer is thousands of gallons of sweat, not looking around for the next best thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  19. iammartialarts

no kuma, i have found some, like my aikido teacher and wing chun i actually rarely talk for real, i listen to everything being said, i take nothing below me in martial arts, but than i research that concept and perform it and see if it works for me. I don't casually pass by (at least compared to the people here)

for example, when i was in kuk sool won, the most people would come in for (like the very most) was 2 hours a week. in tae kwon do it was 4 hours, i went in every single day of the week for 2 hours, and do for all the martial arts i currently do and i bypass all those people

i just cant stand all these belt factories and crappy martial art teachers they should be teaching cardio kickboxing

palden keep trying maybe if you keep trying your ego will overinflate (that happened to me once and my eye fell out)

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

You're not going to understand a lot of concepts though if you're at a beginner's level. It's going to be over your head because you simply don't have the experience in. Sure you may *think* you know it, but until you put in lots and lots and LOTS of time in it you won't truly grasp it.

Oh, and claiming you bypass everyone else then try to tell someone else they have a large ego is akin to shooting yourself in the foot.