Is kickboxing limited

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by MTK, Sep 24, 2003.

1. MTK

MTK New Member

Is kickboxing limited to just a few moves or is it when you combine the skills you know and become unorthodox in your way of fighting, to be more unpredicdable.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I'm not really sure about kickboxing as a style... my impression is that has quite a bit of depth beyond just kicking and punching and I imagine foot work and such is pretty important (Kickboxers correct me please if I'm wrong).

To get to the original topic, I think any system that you train in has some very good techniques that will fit you and that you can then incorporate into your particular style of fighting. By adding new skills and by honing those skills you have to fit your own personality, physique and such, you will be making yourself a better fighter.

If your post is asking "should I try kickboxing?" I would say, "if it's available near you and seems to have a good instrucor and atmosphere, go for it."

3. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Kickboxing is mostly having good timing and positioning ..footwork..

without worrying about learning a thousand different moves as most styles teach

i actually suggest to people serious about learning martial arts to do kickboxing for a year so they know how to fight and then move to another style where your aim is no longer just to learn to fight but to become profficent in your chosen style for your own self fullfilment....

kickboxing skills are there in every system other systems just increase the variety of strikes and defenses

still there is something to be said for keep it simple stupid

Plus as we are all aware the profficency of any given style is dependant on the individual ..ergo had bruce lee just done boxing he still would have been deadly..

Also most syles have "secrets" (that obvious easy stuff we all overlook in order to learn the more advanced moves) that are the basics just applied with more skill and correctly

Pls forgive if post seems jumbled ...2 houes sleep.... alcohol.....

4. SOLID

SOLID Banned Banned

I love my kb although my class sucks. Kb is'nt fancy but isn't basic the most effective on the street? Mixed with a bit of dirty strikes it's leathal.

5. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Kickboxing would revovle around a few techniques I'd say - jab, cross, hook, uppercut, rip, thigh kick, front kick, roundhouse, along with your slips, pat downs, etc.

Breaking your rythym up, using different combinations makes you unpredictable. Also, you may think that's not many techniques but consider how many possibilities there are:

jab, cross, left hook, right hook, right upper cut, left upper cut, left rip, right rip. = 8 punches

outside thigh, inner thigh, variations with footwork (for argument's sake, we'll use 2 simple ones - step up, swtich), right roundhouse, left roundhouse, front kick with lead leg, front kick with back leg. = 8 kicks

For your first technique out of these you can throw 1 of 16 different variations. From these techniques for combinations you have:

16! possibilities, a lot of combinations and this argument is restrained for simplicity - we can resuse techniques we have already used as well, etc. :)

x! = x * (x-1) * (x-2) ... * (n-1) * n

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  6. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Bon variations arnt techniques
    Thats why its simple (getting the moves not getting the timing and positioning right) because you only do say 10 mmoves but you do them over and over and over again in the varying combinations till they are so ingrained it almost natural unlike say wing chun where there is always some other technique to use as well as the thousands of different ways to use the given techniques

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  7. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

ohh please forgive me if i seem combative im having what can only be reffered to as a "bad" day

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I see them as techniques

If you vary somthing slightly in its mechanic it can have a big change in the end result so I see them as somthing different because they are more situations specific than the general technique you are adapting.

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

You can add in overhand cross and shovel punch to the list and when you think about punching high and low in different combos you ll find Kick boxing is not really a case of just having a few kicks and punches in your arsenal.

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Why not? throwing a combination is a different technique from throwing a single technique. Kickboxing has a relatively small number of techniques in it because kickboxers see this as an efficient way to train and fight. I happen to agree. Imagine what you could do with that hideous arsenal of techniques at your disposal :)

11. iamno

iamno New Member

Is kickboxing limited? Oh yes yes yes yes yes yes If you have limited moves your opponent can suss you out easier then its eatfloor for you.

12. Fluffy Wabbit

Fluffy Wabbit New Member

Kickboxing seems to be about developing essentials and is damn useful for this. It's limited in that it doesnt really teach you how to deal with floor work and the odds are that you'll end up on the floor in a "real" fight. But it builds up speed and strength for the moves which are pretty much essential in everything else.

From a learning point though, there is enough variety in moves for a while, but then you may find yourself repeating moves a lot(which is needed to improve). I personally am figuring on trying other martial arts in conjunction with KBoxing once im comfortable with the basics because i like lots of variety. But realistically, how many moves do you need?