Is Kenpo worth it?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Beanre, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Beanre

Beanre New Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and I have a few questions.

If you saw my other thread, I'm 15, and I have my first trial lesson of Kenpo tomorrow at 6:30. The reason I chose Kenpo was because it is pretty convenient to where I am, the website seems legitimate, and above all; Kenpo seems interesting.

I have done a little bit of research, enough to come to the conclusion that Kenpo teaches mostly striking, but some grappling as well. I believe I read that it is a mix of Japanese Karate and Jiu Jutsu.

I live in Eastern America, so I'm assuming I will be taking American Kenpo. I'm not sure what the difference is, though.

So, my question(s) to you all:

Is Kenpo a fun/worthwhile Martial Art?
    Would it be street-effective?
    Is it a good Martial Art to start off on?

Anything else you feel you should add to a beginner, feel free!

Thanks!

2. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I've got some experience with Japanese kempo. It was a fantastic way for me to start in the martial arts, but I eventually left it for a variety of reasons. The only one who can say whether or not it'll be worthwhile for you is, well, you! Go try out the class and see how you like it.

If you post the website of the place you might get some more specific replies.

3. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

What style is it? There are a ton of different styles of Kenpo/Kempo, some with more differences than similarities.

4. Beanre

Beanre New Member

http://www.dedhamkenpo.com/

This is the website. I live a bit ways off, but it is still one of the closest places to me in my area. I couldn't find anywhere where it specifies much about the teaching (not sure if that's good or bad)

Anywho, feel free to look around on it and report back with thoughts.

5. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Just because you live in America doesn't mean it's necessarily American Kenpo. Just like Aikido is a Japanese art, yet I study it in America. American Kenpo is a style of Kenpo created by Ed Parker, if I have my info right. In regards to your questions:

Can't answer 1 and 2 because I haven't studied Kenpo, but regarding 3; there really aren't such things as "beginner arts" and "advanced arts". You'll be a beginner in anything when you first start it, and you'll get better with practice, it's as simple as that.

6. Doc C.

Doc C. Valued Member

That would be up to you wouldn't it?

7. Beanre

Beanre New Member

I just got home from my trial lesson. It was alright, I seemed to choose a "drilling" day to trial which was not to my fortune. We did a few speed/reaction drills, I learned a stance / 1 move, and that was it for the hour.

My arms are dead, i sweat like crazy(aparrently a sign off being too tense), and I will probably sign for a month to see how it goes, and then take it from there. I believe it has potential to help me.

8. Doc C.

Doc C. Valued Member

Maybe you should take up something less strenuous. The martial arts, (the kind that actually teaches you something) is hard work. If you're looking for an easier school, that's what you will get.

9. Beanre

Beanre New Member

I would much prefer a hard school where I learn many things, rather to an easy school where I only learn some. I'm just not quite sure which "type" of school this one is, yet.

10. Doc C.

Doc C. Valued Member

Considering they worked the crap out of you actually doing something as a potential new student, instead of taking it easy on you, is a really good sign.

11. Omicron

Omicron is around.

You should try as many schools in your area as possible. Signing up to the first place you try can be a big mistake.

Kinda like marrying your first girlfriend :ban:

12. Beanre

Beanre New Member

Doc. This may be a dumb question, but why is it a good sign? I also believe it is more me who wore myself out, rather than the drills, if that means anything.

Omicron. The only problem with that is that there are not many places close to me at all. I can do another search, but I'm not sure how many places there are that are -30 minutes away. My options are limited.

13. dianhsuhe

I looked at the web-site. Not much info. listed...

Try it and see if you like it- I have always commuted 40-60 minutes to train but I am not sure what might be in your area...

14. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I signed up for the kenpo and shorokan karates......and have been in them for a month. I'm gonna complete the kenpo semester but I think I wont stay with it, I like Shotokan better. so thats what I'll train like a demon in. (I may go back to it later though, Im keeping the uniform.)

(btw you're right, it is kind of like dating around to find who'll you'll like, isnt it? Hah. =] )

15. dianhsuhe

Blade96- That is the way to do it!

Enjoy your training and check back and let us know how it is going.

Jamey

16. Blade96

Will do! =]

and thanks. :)

17. Beanre

Beanre New Member

Just got home from my second lesson. This time, it was just me and two blackbelts. They were just helping me along, I learned about 4 punches, 3 kicks, 4 blocks, crane stance, horse stance? And a movement to incorporate. It was fun; however, I seem to have a large lack of balance, and in some places, coordination. I missed the target on almost all of my back-kicks, I seemed to "fall" onto a leg after kicks if I put too much power; and for some of my punches I'd get mixed up retreating into the proper stance everytime without giving away my next punch.

Criticalness aside, I had a lot of fun, and I'm going to have a lot of practicing to do!

18. dianhsuhe

Very cool Beanre! Keep on keepin' on!

19. Blade96

last time i had kenpo (which was wednesday) and we had to do our side kick while standind elbow and then shoulder width from the wall, and we werent supposed to lean on the wall while doing it, I could do it without leaning on the wall, but the yellow belt next to me couldnt. well dunno if he couldnt or he just didnt want to.

btw first thing i learned at kenpo was horse stance and upper cross block.

Nother thing about kenpo: You have to pass a physical fitness test to get the colored belts. its included with yer belt test. Thats one reason I chose Shotokan instead, in kenpo Im great at learning kicks, punches, my elbow Kata is coming along all right, (my first lesson in my elbow kata, the black belt who taught me said that most people learn 3 or four moves at a time, but i learned five or six at one time) techniques I do fine at

But as for the physical exercises...like pushups and the situps we have to do, I choke even though I do some of them every day (along with the other ones so i dont do too much of one thing and get out of wack) in Shotokan you do exercises, but they arent included in the belt tests.

In techniques and kicks and punches and stances and so on I would pass easily in Kenpo. The physical test part....hmmmm.....not really.

20. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Yup, you wouldn't want tests to um.... test you.