Is kempo really a good self defense?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Floorismyfriend, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.
    You couldnt find a better pure brazilian Ju jitsu. His record is
    20-2 He was never defeated by tko or submission only by decision. He fought some of the toughest heavy weights in MMA.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2003
  2. totality

totality New Member

nope...you should also remember that several of those wins came via knockout, however. he does cross-train, mostly boxing i believe.

3. Floorismyfriend

Who sayz you cant throw a punch in bjj?
    He got one lucky punch on one oponent.
    12 submissions wins
    6 decision wins
    1 tko(triangle choke) against a tough cross trainer I might add.win
    1 Ko (Punch) win
    Now where does the several knockouts come in?
    Correct me if I am wrong but i only count one.

4. totality

totality New Member

perhaps you're right, it probably was only one. and you don't throw punches in bjj, that is never allowed in any competition, nor is any type of training that includes strikes called bjj. once you incorporate striking, it isn't pure bjj.

5. Floorismyfriend

Your talking about bjj sport.
    This is NHB.
    When your on full mount how else are you going to get your oponent to open up or do anything else other than try to push you off.

6. Floorismyfriend

Royce gracie was a PURE BJJ yet even he struck his oponents when he was in full mount.

7. totality

totality New Member

haha, NHB isn't bjj.

and you're getting away from the point, which is that nogueira does in fact cross-train. he isn't pure bjj.

8. Floorismyfriend

No duh.

Please show me exactly what he cross trains in again?
    Give me your source of information a website a video interview anything plz.
    Sports BJJ is alot DIfferent from NHB BJJ.

9. totality

totality New Member

no need to be rude...

a good source would be the highlight video of nogueira on sherdog.com. it shows him doing boxing training and drills.

10. Floorismyfriend

Sherdog doesnt have a highlight of him......
    Can you give a link?

Sorry about the no duh comment.

11. Floorismyfriend

I know theres a brazilian top team highlight somewhere that show Nog shadow boxing. But thats like me doing an air guitar solo and saying i am a musician. Its not a sherdog highlight tho.

12. totality

totality New Member

13. Floorismyfriend

First of all you have to make music to be a musician.

Again I say who sayz you cant strike in bjj while your in a nhb fight?

Watch royce gracie highlight. He strikes plenty of times in it and i can gaurantee hes probably never been to a boxing gym in his life before those fights.
    I have the heath herring fight and he only started punching because the fight was about to end and he had herring on the ropes and he wanted to get the decision. Lets face it hes not even that good of a striker.
    Thanks for the video BTW been looking for a Nog hightlight for a long time.
    Ohh yeah on Royce gracies highlight video he also kicks.

14. matsloth

matsloth New Member

kenpo

hi floorish your a div ,someone needs to say it ,you have no idea about mma,or crosstaining ,or you would never ask the questions you have asked,i train kenpo ,kickboxing and tai jitsu,but i am a kenpo man,the otheres just help with aspects i have an interest in,im still worried about someone wanting a fight club,if you want to spar take up kickboxing or tkd,maybe jkd,children play fight in the street,its not big ,nor something to boast about,by the way when is the last time you saw a jkd man doing ,ufc/k1,you dont ,but you dont question that,so if you have no understanding of kenpo ,try it you maybe suprised and learn something,sorry if i have affended any one else ,it was not intended,
    cheers
    matt
    :) :( :confused:

15. Floorismyfriend

Re: kenpo

What questions would that be?

Its a valid question. The fact that if a style Hasn't had a good run in NHB style competition shows how it would do in a self defense situation. Which was the original question in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2003
  16. Floorismyfriend

Re: kenpo

In hand to hand
    Isn't The point of street fighting either to disable or disable and kill?
    Doesnt the same thing go for NHB except for the kill part.
    Your right in the ring is a show of 2 skillfull fighters.
    But in hand to hand street fight what are the chances of you encountering a skillfull Mixed martial artists. You would probably Have a huge advantage in the street than you would in the ring. Plz try not to mention anything about weapons or multiple attackers because whats the chances of me not having a Knife, shotgun, handgun, or ten people with me.

17. Razor

Razor New Member

Eyes, throat, groin.... Are these legal in the NHB, K-1, or whatever?

Kinda funny y'all are talking about cross-training when most martial arts started as cross-training of some sort...

Keep in mind in "the fight club" he was actually beating himself up wasn't he?

Cheers,
    james

18. Floorismyfriend

I donno about throat or groin but i am pretty sure there are no eye gouging in nhb. But eye gouging and groin is pretty much a given in street fight. BJJ is probably the best martial arts to get you in the position to eye gouge or groin grab.
    In the philipines where I am was born. There is an actual organization called fight club. They are dedicated to practical street fighting. In their matches they allow groin punching or squeezing.

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Re: Re: kenpo

your question was, why don't Kenpo people compete in NHB. The answer was, some do.

then you went on to state that you thought they would get "destroyed", which, they don't.

The rest is just a bunch of "blah blah MMA pwnz joo" fanboy blather that we've read 100 times...

I believe most thinking people agree that success (or failure) in NHB competition has nothing to do with success in a random street attack.

20. matsloth

matsloth New Member

self defence

i cant be botherd any more,i was right ,you are a div,please study a art ,get yourself a good reputable instructor(hopefully someone understanding)and get some time on the floor,you watch to much television,it is people like you that give martlial arts and mma a bad name,now im not being nasty just honest,if you have had real street confrontation you will now the difference ,and if you dont get it ,try them both ,or come and train with me,also what is it with the size thing ,about hight 5ft5in limit,im 6ft 5in about 17stone one of my sparring pals is 5ft 4in about 9/10stone ,he does just fine ,you cant choose who picks a fight with you.
    again i have no intension of upsetting anyone,and one more thing have you ever studied bjj ,or any of the arts you mock,or dis respect,and one more thing if you are going to quote please put it in context,you must realise some of the people you are speaking to are very experienced martial artist,with many years on the floor,some have had many street situations,please dont belive all you read.
    cheers
    matt:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.