Is Karate any good?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Bruce_Lee93, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Ok, time to calm it down quite a lot. KE, you need to reign it in a bit and stop telling people to **** off.

We're keeping our eye on the thread for a while, so play nice!

2. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

That's the trouble with you youngsters today - you get tired to quick ;)

My comment about "karate does not exist" is in term of a singular style - no such thing, so no one - is truly and expert in it. You can however seek to master your given style of karate, but in doing so, that itself does not make you an expert in Karate imo.

FWIW I was wrong to ask for your creds on Wado - I apologise about that (bad manners on my behalf) – It’s I habit I have got into when trying to understand someone’s "schooling" level - not ability per-se.

Gary

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Is KARATE any good. YES

Are there phonies teaching their version YES

Are there men who have dedicated their lives to it and are excellent examples to those who wish to train YES

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Well I've never read Nietzsche, so you know better than I do.

By the way, are you really talking about 19th-century existential/postmodern philosophy in the same thread where you're calling other posters "conceited posh London twerps"? :hat:

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Ah, fair enough. Can we be nice to each other now? I didn't really make that post with the aim of quarelling with two pretty unimpeachable karateka. If I'd had a horde of idiots ranting at me it might be a different matter, but I'm starting to feel slightly foolish...

Not by design, no.

Yup. I've read 'thus spake zarathustra', and several of his 'meatier' works as well. And very few of those 10,328 posts are about Nietzche. I'd guess most of them are probably just elaborate ways of being rude:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Well I've a half-dozen books of Calvin and Hobbes, and while I haven't read Nietzche, I feel pretty safe in saying that Calvin and Hobbes is:

(1) just as profound,
    (2) way more fun, and
    (3) waaaaaaay easier to spell.

;)

7. Knight_Errant

Given the trouble it still gives me, and that you've forgotten the 's', I'd say 3) is certainly true. 2)May well be the case, unless you enjoy watching making fun of 19th century intellectuals, but just as profound? Come on?

8. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

Hey guys, could we stop taking the mickey and get back on subject PLEASE???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
  9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Okay back on track. Lets me start by saying I am not a fan of Karate, however, if you can find a good school there is some awesome Karate out there. I am also a beleiver that you can probably make most stuff work if you drill it hard enough.
    I don't like the hand on the hip approach, I don't like the one punch one point approach and so on.
    All that said there are some touch Karateka out there I would not want to fight.
    So regardless of whether we think it is good or not,if you train hard enough and drill it hard enough then you can make it work.

10. Knight_Errant

Back on subject? The inane subject of somebody making silly comments about karate and you taking them at all seriously? Why should we want to do that?

11. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Agreed.

Also, we were not taking the "mickey", we were having an informed discussion about the "sillyness" of it all.

@Bruce and Simon -Look back over the thread if you still have any questions.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  12. Knight_Errant

I can start taking the mickey though, if you like?

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

There isn't really a subject , the instuctor who made the original comment is an uptight fool.

14. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

There are many Judoka who crosstrain in Sambo so I have had a bunch of exposure (especially at seminars). As a rule they typically have a very very intense love of judo (and Sambo can be 'played' much like Judo). So sometimes that intense love of judo makes them think that anyone who would feel passionate for an alternative martial art is mentally deranged/retarded.

When you come across this attitude remember that it is a love/passion that motivates their thinking and they typically just want to share it with others. But in the grand scheme of things they are also content to live and let live... :)

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haaha this comment was brilliant, you complain about karate's reputation and then make a sweeping generalisation about those who practise the sport of mixed martial arts. now I am completely dense about karate I regularly look to it to try and find an alternative striking art to muay thai and am put of by the sheer amount of styles and bulls*it and actually found this post very informative until this point. so as long as we are making sweeping generalisations couldn't it be said that mma is for the kind of people who want to know how to fight and karate is for the kind of person who wants to dance around disguising Nietzsche in between learning breathing techniques and performing pre set patterns and calling it "sparring" (which I'm sure in allot of cases isn't true but this is the logical response to your statement about MMA)
    a year ago I would have agreed with you if you said MMA is a fad but I think it has well and truly transcended that stage now I'm afraid and yes classes attracts allot of mainstream attention probably more than most martial arts right now, and just like I'm sure kung fu films did in the 70s watching UFC events brings allot of people to classes with no serous intentions of learning martial arts but the point is and I'm sure it was the same for karate in the 70s those who aren't serous or dedicated don't stay very long.

16. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

So what about the guy who trains MMA, and studies Karate? How do you know, you really know what type of person that is.

"There are no facts, only interpretations"

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

:evil: the type of person that drinks his own urine? :evil:

*runs away!*

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

that was exactly my point ask Knight Errant that

19. Knight_Errant

Oh, grow a skin.
    Lyoto machida?

20. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I'm sure he enjoys a bit of Nietzsche and would take great offence to your comments as well