Is Judo good for middle-age and old age?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by TheDarkLord84, Oct 3, 2012.

1. roblen

roblen Valued Member

i couldn't agree more. the ground/grappling arts are very very hard on the body. i could only last 4 years before i gave up bjj due to 2 dodgy knee's(still occasionally give me gyp), 1 dodgy thumb and still to this day 1 loose tooth.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i'll say that any martial art is hard on the body. but i think bjj and judo are much less so than, say, hapkido and aikido. the reason being is that i feel i can protect my body much better in bjj or judo because i'm actively playing defense at all times. with hapkido and aikido, there's much more compliance on the part of uke. and there's also the tendency for some people to get over-excited during technique as tori in both hapkido and aikido, and that leads to more injuries. just my take.

re: the loose tooth...dude, why don't you wear a mouthguard? knee pads also come in handy too.

3. Ross BJJ

Ross BJJ New Member

I'm 45 and doing my first judo comp this weekend. 28 is not middle aged. Dam I didn't start BJJ until I was 33, its what keeps me young. Do it,you won't regret it.

4. hardball

hardball Valued Member

I'll be 55 next week. Regarding judo, the throwing part is still fun but at my age taking a fall (ukemi) is not fun at all. LOL

I still love to strike although my kicks are much lower now than at age 40. For middle age doing katas is fun too.

The older you get the more you need martial arts skills. Suppose someyoung bloke tries to strong arm you? What are you gonna say. hey wait I'm too old, let me warm up before I defend myself. LOL Get the point?

Cheers mate

5. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Old at 28>>>

Hello old man,
    Are you serious when you say you are getting old at 28?You are an infant in relation to myself.In fact I have a bokken [wooden training sword ] which is older than you.You really make me shake my he when I read stuff like this.I started Aikido at 28/9 and now I am 73 and still active.When I was 28 I could train really hard both at Judo/Aikido and other stuff.

6. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

old codger at 28??

7. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

Bummer am 37 next year and getting back into it after a long break!