Is Judo for anyone?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Sparx, Aug 24, 2007.

1. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

I didn't start Judo until 36, and my wife just started at age 40. If you realize that you aren't a spring chicken anymore, learn how to fall properly, and you have realistic expectations, than age really shouldn't matter. Actually most of the students in my class are "older" 20-30s and they do really well. Plus I know I am never going to go to the olympics, I may do contests down the road for seniors, but it's just plain fun. So I think age is relative. To be honest, I don't have as many aches and pain after Judo practice than I had with TKD and Hapkido. But at 18, you shouldn't have any problems.

2. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

This is an ongoing theme in several threads here-whether it is advisable to take up judo or other "tough on the body" styles in middle age. I say go for it. I took up Judo at age 40, when my level of general fitness was no better than average for a white-collar guy my age. I find the two-hour classes a challenge to my stamina, but other than that it is fine. I would advise that you try different dojos to find one that works for you physically. The first Judo dojo I tried did all the practice throwing onto the regular floor mat (what some people pretentiously call "the tatami," though it is really plastic or canvas). This was a little tough on my middle aged back, so I moved on to a dojo with an older sensei where we practice the shoulder and hip throws with crash mats. If you go this way, you will still take a few hard falls during randori and in any competition you join, but at least you won't take 20 five-foot falls onto the hard mat every class. Most guys rarely succeed in executing the high throws in randori anyway.

I also do a Kempo style that uses full force strikes with protective gear and have toyed with boxing. While Judo is more dangerous as far as serious injuries are concerned (easier to break your neck receiving tomo nage or suffer brain damage from an overenthusiastic choke), all of my minor complaints are from kempo and boxing rather than from Judo.

One of the BJJers on the list has commented that BJJ is easier on the body than Judo because of the greater emphasis on ground work. On the other hand, it's probably also harder endurance-wise for the same reason.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Judo is for everyone. It's a question of attitude more than everything else. There's so much there for all body types, sizes and genders. Have a great time!