Is Judo for anyone?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Sparx, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

A bit of a stupid question but here it goes: Is Judo for anyone? What I mean is I am fairly skinny guy, so would I be able to do Judo against the big guys? Will they pit me up against 250lb guys and expect me to win or are there weight divisions? Sorry if it seams like a daft question! I'm really keen to go to the Uni Judo club but theres no point statrin' if I aint gonna go nowhere!

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

There are weight divisions, don't worry.

You'll get owned in class though :D

3. Atharel

Atharel Errant

There are weight divisions. You will be able to Judo fine against bigger people (after several months of practice ;)). There are many different strategies and focuses in Judo that work well for all body types.

4. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

If you're just starting judo, I think the problem isn't how big you are, but how old you are.

Things like Judo are rough on the body, and starting older isn't gonna help. Also, folks taking to such things at a later age don't usually end up very good at them.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

"Starting older"?!?! He's 18 years old!

To the OP - I had the same reservations about judo. At the club I attended, everyone had about two stone in weight (at least) over me and I overheard them talking about how BJA gradings usually throw everyone in together and not worry about the weight categories too much.

I might go back one day, but I'll have to eat a few big dinners first! :D

6. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I did some Judo, and injured myself. My biggest mistake was in trying to take the weight of my opponent so they wouldn't fall and hurt themselves, instead of letting the moves flow. I had hoped to make some progress, but sadly I gave up.

7. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Judo is not for everyone, but what size/shape you are is not the deciding factor. Your success will be more dependent on your mindset rather your body type.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That's a little esoteric. You've kinda come out with some Yoda-like wisdom that doesn't actually pass on any information!

9. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

judo is not for people with preexisting spinal injuries.

10. Jack_Brando

Jack_Brando New Member

I would want to do it, just for tournaments, seems fairly useful

11. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Some people don't like getting slammed to the mat. However I have encountered really good judoka from all shapes and sizes. Big fat guys, wee skinny guys, wee fat guys, tall skinny guys, folks with lanky arms and legs, folks with missing fingers, old guys, young guys...

JayKayD is correct, its your mindset. Basically if you enjoy it and turn up to practice and train hard you will improve. Go long and see if you like it. ANY martial art that tickles your fancy go along and try. We can't determine how much you will enjoy something, which will be the primary reason for you improving.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Usually you find that you get paired up against people who are roughly the same sizer as you providing you'r not at either extreme of the spectrum.

Out of curiosity, which Uni are you at?

13. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Ok, I know that's not 'old' old, but to use a slightly off topic example, I have never run into anyone who started wrestling at the age of 18 who became really good at it. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've met a looooooot of people and no one who started at 18 (or certainly older) was really much good at all compared to what I'd consider 'good' wrestlers. My experience with judo is certainly less extensive but from a purely subjective point of view I've found the same to generally hold true.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

15. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I have great experience in Judo,a lot of years ago when i was 17 or 18 i used to go to my friends Judo club,he was (is) a black belt and the club comprised of himself and 3 other black belts,
    i would go in we would warm up,they would throw me and take it in turns to lay on me for 2 hours then i would go home! they were brilliant and i couldnt move a muscle with them,oh good memories,thanks guys :)

16. irishmike

irishmike New Member

just adding on to original post....i just read the pyjama game and want to take up judo
    i do tkd and wanted to learn some grappling but there is no bjj around so i reckon judo is next best
    im 33 years old anyone here take up judo in their 30s? and how did you find it.

17. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

gsp, circa saturday night.

18. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

I did Judo for a few years as a kid, good practice for getting thrown about and learning how to breakfall. You normally find that the people best at Judo are normally of heavy build and short in height as this gives them a lower centre of gravity. Even so there are some useful moves to be learned.

19. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

You aren't at Aberystwyth uni are you? Thats the club I'm at (or was, and will be again) and people of all builds train together.

The creater of Judo (a modified form of ju jitsu) was actually a small and very slim man and many of the techniques were specifically created to enable speed/skill/leverage to defeat strength.

Only thing to say is give it a go. Being small can be an advantage in some ways such as landing from being thrown. I'm 6' 4'' and 15 stone and when I hit the mat I fall hard!

20. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

No i'm from Risca. I used to doi judo as a kid at Pontllanfraith - many moons ago. The style i now train in is jujitsu based so the judo comes in handy.